Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

While I (patiently) wait for my Deus II

Yeah----not only lobe tree but I think a place like "Twin Flat"s (aka Kelton, UT) would be a GREAT place to try the new Deus 2 out!----Keltons open to detecting & Patsy & I have made some really great finds there (even a couple of very old, large railroad locks)---but they were deep.---We've been hunting it for years---but---he last time we were there some people had been in there having target practice---so there is a lot of lead bullets to contend with (along with other trash)----but----Kelton, UT would be a very good place to give the Deus 2 (or even Deus 1) a good work out.
Rich, you touched on all the main parts an avid detectorists wants to know, and especially in handling 'rusty tin'. I am wondering if the Bottle Cap feature might provide any help for us in the places where small shards of rusty tin abound, such a 'Lobe Tree' and other challenging ghost towns and similar sites.

This is going to be an interesting years of folks trying out a couple/few new devices in search of any performance improvements. As it is we already have a lot of decent-performing detectors as it was, but lie you I am also interested to see if the Deus II, or any other newcomer, provides me any benefits where I like to hunt.

Monte

Rich, you touched on all the main parts an avid detectorists wants to know, and especially in handling 'rusty tin'. I am wondering if the Bottle Cap feature might provide any help for us in the places where small shards of rusty tin abound, such a 'Lobe Tree' and other challenging ghost towns and similar sites.

This is going to be an interesting years of folks trying out a couple/few new devices in search of any performance improvements. As it is we already have a lot of decent-performing detectors as it was, but lie you I am also interested to see if the Deus II, or any other newcomer, provides me any benefits where I like to hunt.

Monte

The rusty tin is a problem in the western ghost towns. Hard to say if the bottle cap feature will be a benefit in that battle or not. The description sounds like a notch, but i'm not sure of that. It will be easy to tell as discrimination and notches show up as darkened areas on the conductivity scale that runs across the top of the screen,

As for the iron and tin, for me there are two thoughts; 'discriminate it' or identify it and 'dig it / move it' and see if it's masking something nearby. With many sites having been hunted over and over for decades, i find myself leaning more towards the identifying and 'digging / moving' than in years past. My hope is revealing something nearby that was masked.

The best scenario i see is a detector that can reveal the tin for what it is AND identify good targets nearby / co-located. If each has a different audio, like we currently do with Iron Audio, co-locates will audibly stand out from the tin and iron. Now i have a distinct advantage as i slowly work my way through the ocean of debris. Will the Deus 2 move us in the direction?

Even a step or two towards that would be an advantage over what we've done in the past. Some of those small pieces of rusty tin sound so much like a coin / token that I can't help but recover them only to be disappointed. If there was a tell tale audio characteristic when i dig those, i know i'm doing it with the thought of clearing an area rather than recovering a keeper. A difference of expectation.

Interesting thoughts as we continue to wait on XP.

1. I got a car charger so if I run low on a long hunt, I can get a boost. With my Orx there were multiple coils and I could switch into Deus lite mode if the headphones or remote ran dry. So with that option gone it made sense to get the car charger- with a second coil clip. 2. I ordered an 8-pack of 7” x 1” industrial rubber bands to use as bumper guards for my 9” coil, so it won’t get so nicked -up against rocks. Just wanting a little protection for my only coil. Someone in UK sells nice Deus rubber bumpers in multiple colors but they’re $20 plus $20 to ship and weigh 100 gm. Which I think is excessively heavy.

It's interesting to see how folks 'customize' their gear. I've typically tried to protect the detector screens from scratches by apply a zagg shield material on new detectors. Sometimes i also use a cover for the control housing to prevent or minimize wear from dirty / muddy fingers pressing buttons. Coils have been a little more difficult because anything added increases the swing weight of the detector. I've replaced a lot of skid plates over the years and consider them a 'consumable' item.

There are lots of portable USB Battery banks out there that can be charged and then brought along for needed recharges or topping off a charge. They are generally pretty affordable. Nice to have along, especially if you are a long ways from a regular power source.

Rich