Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites 5.3 coil Hitting a 9+ inch penny and dime on V3i?

Tony N (Michigan)

Well, I wasn't expecting too much. I just received the Whites 5.3 coil the other day. Took it out to the coin garden
to see if it would hit my 9+ inch penny and dime.
I started out in High Pro. Nada.
Then went to Deep Silver. Nada.

I tried different sensitivity settings and RX Gain and Max boot etc.

If anyone has a super duper setting for me to try, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Tony

my 5.3 will barely hit my seven inch silver dime and only in deep silver rx12+, sense 85+ and 5 band filter. probably wont see it hit any coins at 8 or 9 unless you have close to zero mineral ground. smaller coils are more for separation than depth. stick with the 950, D2 or the UL13 if you want depth. My 5.3 usually only comes out when I'm hunting in the woods because its a closed coil and doesn't hang up on everything. it does go a little deeper and id is a little better than my 6x10 in my ground around NWPA.

john67 said:
my 5.3 will barely hit my seven inch silver dime and only in deep silver rx12+, sense 85+ and 5 band filter. probably wont see it hit any coins at 8 or 9 unless you have close to zero mineral ground. smaller coils are more for separation than depth. stick with the 950, D2 or the UL13 if you want depth. My 5.3 usually only comes out when I'm hunting in the woods because its a closed coil and doesn't hang up on everything. it does go a little deeper and id is a little better than my 6x10 in my ground around NWPA.

Thanks, john67.
Question: When I really crank up the 5.3 I hear like a fast clicking noise. Does yours do that as well? I hope nothing is wrong with the coil. When I first put it on I forgot to go into the software and change the coil from the 10" to the 5.3. I hope I didn't hurt the coil.
Yea, I got mine for woods and super trashy areas of places I detect.

the coil setting only affects your depth reading. the fast clicking noise is the coil overloading. as long as it doesn't do it at RX15 without boost on its a good coil. if you have boost on it might overload at RX6 or 8. I've only used boost a couple of times because I don't seem to notice much difference with it. no you cant hurt the coil with any settings.

My 5.3 goes about as deep as my 6x10DD, about 6-7," so what you are describing sounds about right. Of course, depth is highly soil dependent, but in my fairly mild soil, that's what I get. As for the clicking, I can't tell you. If it's when you hold it up in the air away from the ground or targets, then you might have a bad coil, but I can't really say.

Just curious since that 5.3 inch Whites coil isn't known as a depth demon.

What 5 inch coil/unit combination do you have now that hits that 9+ inch penny or dime ?

The only 2 combos that I have in my arsenal that MIGHT hit those coins with a small coil would be my E-Trac with 5 inch Sunray and CZ6a with the 5 inch coil....but again that's a stretch.

Coin gardens are always a great way to test things out but the one limiting factor that sets them apart from real world hunts is...you know where the target is. I believe that always plays a part in getting a unit to 'detect' a coin deeper. One kinda knows the exact spot or close to it, where that coin is.

In real world hunts, one has no idea what is under that ground.

Setting the V3i up with the 5.3 coil, to sniff out good targets in the 6-7 inch range in a trashy park like setting, is where that combo shines. Trying to get a few more inches out of that combo in my opinion, starts having the V3i run unstable and false signals start to creep in.

therover said:
Just curious since that 5.3 inch Whites coil isn't known as a depth demon.

What 5 inch coil/unit combination do you have now that hits that 9+ inch penny or dime ?

The only 2 combos that I have in my arsenal that MIGHT hit those coins with a small coil would be my E-Trac with 5 inch Sunray and CZ6a with the 5 inch coil....but again that's a stretch.

Coin gardens are always a great way to test things out but the one limiting factor that sets them apart from real world hunts is...you know where the target is. I believe that always plays a part in getting a unit to 'detect' a coin deeper. One kinda knows the exact spot or close to it, where that coin is.

In real world hunts, one has no idea what is under that ground.

Setting the V3i up with the 5.3 coil, to sniff out good targets in the 6-7 inch range in a trashy park like setting, is where that combo shines. Trying to get a few more inches out of that combo in my opinion, starts having the V3i run unstable and false signals start to creep in.

I don't think I have an equivalent size coil for my other detectors.
But, yea, I wasn't really hoping for much. However, on High Pro I can hit the two coins. I tested that after posting the original post in this thread.
Would I dig those signals out in the wild? Yes. They were iffy enough to dig. However, the detector was a little erratic. And like you say, it is better to use the coil where it really shines. I was just curious if I could get it to hit the coins.

Wayfarer said:
My 5.3 goes about as deep as my 6x10DD, about 6-7," so what you are describing sounds about right. Of course, depth is highly soil dependent, but in my fairly mild soil, that's what I get. As for the clicking, I can't tell you. If it's when you hold it up in the air away from the ground or targets, then you might have a bad coil, but I can't really say.

That's good to know Wayfarer. I'm still getting tricked on bent wire and some modern nails.

Hitting a 9" dime with such a small coil is a stretch for any Vlf detector.
You should be worried more about hitting 9" deep coins with the stock coil.

squirrel1 said:
Hitting a 9" dime with such a small coil is a stretch for any Vlf detector.
You should be worried more about hitting 9" deep coins with the stock coil.

Hey squirrel1, how ya doin ole buddy ole pal? :)
Yea, I knew that before even doing the test that it would probably not hit or if it did, hit very lightly.

The stock D2 coil hits VERY well on those 9+" deep coins. They might even be down to 10" by now.
I can lift the D2 10" coil about three inches off the ground and still hit on those coins. It is not as good a hit as scrubbing the ground but
nonetheless it is a digable hit.