Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites Beach Hunter ID

arclyt

Have a whites super 12 coil and what to install on my beach hunter id. Anyone out there know how to do this, can't be hard. They want alot for this labor and i can't see why. Even Whites refer some dude in Virginia that wants 300 bucks that's with the weighted coil which i don't want because i search alot on the beach also

Hello don't know if he does it but you can email mrbill he is on the forum here. I have had work done by him and I highly recommend him.

good luck

think i will go with the Sunray waterproof 5 pin connector and splice in 6 inches below the unit--called whites and talked to Tod and he said that the wiring for the coils i will be using for that unit are all the same color coded. i like this because i can swap out different coils for at the beach and use my super 12 in the water. The pins are 25 dollars apiece and you need two so fifty bucks is alot cheaper then having it done. I will post results when i do it

The White's BeachHunter ID is an excellant fresh water detector and works very well on dry sand salt water beaches.
It dont handle the wet salt water sand very well and performance in salt water is less than ideal.
The big drawback is the coil.
They float and it is a pain in the arm pushing it down and holding it to the bottom.
I can see why someone would want to change the coil to something that did not float ... I sure did.

Since it is basically a DFX detector any coil that works on a DFX should work on the BeachHunter ID.

The wire inside the coil cable is two small coaxial cables.
The reason for NOT using pin type cable connectors is the same reason CB radio and Ham radio people dont use them on their coax antenna cable and the very same reason the detector manufactures dont use them ... Poor Performance!
For RF frequency's and Coaxial cable you need coax connectors to maintain the Impedance that the circuit is matched to.
Since there are two coax cables you would need two connectors and some way to seal the cable from water wicking in and ruining the wires.

I have changed the coil on my BeachHunter ID several times.
It is not hard to do (no soldering) but you need to be careful about getting the seal ring installed in the case correctly.
Buy an extra seal from White's before you start and lube it with silicone grease.

The coil I liked the best with the BeachHunter ID was the 10" Excelarater coil that KellyCo sells for the White's DFX.
Excellent depth and sensitivity.
It is waterproof and does not float like the White's coils do.

Good luck with your unit and take some photos when you take it apart to help you keep the wiring correct.

thanks for the post Willie--i was thinking that there were five wires in the coil cable due to that is what is going into the box-but i am glad you informed me otherwise-so i split the box and insert the corresponding wires to their locations, is there a special tool for the clips? I would rather do it this way but these guys want alot of money for some little labor. I don't mind the super 12 floating doesn't really bother me and on land it will be that much lighter--i heard the super 12 was a great coil but you recommend the Excelerator. Sometimes it get confusing with different opinoins but thats fine it's better to have alot and sift thru. As for the salt water performance, i am not a expert by far and only know my bhid but i love it--maybe using another would give me a better comparison--i believe you have a minelab is that correct?

ARCLYT ... I dont recommend anything ... I just said I liked that coil better than any others I tried on the BHID.
In My Humble Opinion the Big Yellow Coil is to much coil for shallow water hunting. (and it floats)
It is good for the dry sandy beach ... but not so good for wet saltwater.

If the White's BeachHunter ID is not performing like you need it to, or not suitable for what you want to do with it ...
I would recommend you sell the BHID and get a detector more suited to your type of metal detecting and not try to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.
It is OK if you can do these things yourself but it is not worth paying someone else to do them for you.

I presently own the following waterproof machines ...

Fisher 1280X
Fisher CZ-21
MineLab Excalibur II
Garrett Infinium
Garrett AT PRO

My favorite for hunting shallow saltwater is the Excalibur II with the smaller coil.
For low tide wet salt sand I would choose the Garrett Infinium.
For beach and fresh water the CZ-20 or the CZ-21 is one I enjoy using.

I traded off my BHID because I liked the other detectors better for beach and shallow water hunting.
If I could only have one detector it would be the Excalibur II with the 10" coil.