Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites Classic I Mod in process

JJdigs

Tonight I started beefing up a classic I ....My first step was to replace the two resistors on the board. I read somewhere that replacing the two resistors really help with depth. They came out pretty easy for the most part. I just had one stubborn hole where I could not get all the solder out to slip in the resistor. However after alittle bit of heating it up more with my desolder sucker I got the rest of the solder out. After putting it all back together I was amazing at the extra depth. Stock it would air test a quarter at 7". And now almost 10".... Very cool ....

Next iam going to add the GB pot, then a led battery volt meter which will be activated by a push button, which is small 1"x1". Then if I can wire it properly, I will add dual disc knobs, kinda like the Tejon or 1266x. And if all that goes swell....Iam going to add a audio led signal meter...That show signal strength , kinda like a anolog meter but it has led lights ! Which will be activated by another ouch button above the toggle for dual disc. More to come soon !

fun hey isn't it good these older machines can be fiddled with and made better, good luck and sounds like your having fun :biggrin:

AJ

Yes AmberJack it is alot of fun. I have always played with electronics but never dared to mess with a detector....Until I found a good deal on a classic to hack up !

thanks JJdigs for the photos just to confirm the depth mod is replacing the capacitors with the values on the blue paper in to the slots I have put the white arrows on?

just want to clarify as I might have a go if I find one for cheap of someone else does.. any other photos of the upcoming mods would be great too :biggrin:

thanks hey it looks like a fun project keep us updated :biggrin:

again well done for taking the time to share!!

R7 51 ohms
R24 2.2 meg

AJ

IMG_20170407_222515191_1491621891104_4.jpg

HI JJdigs.

Nice project.
What about building in the white's coil connector?
That way you can use easily all 6 kHz range coils made for white's.

regards

I plan on doing that...I just got a whites 5900 series three in where I can compare coil connectors so I can order the proper parts....I really wish I could use the blue max series coil instead of the 6b style coils. But oh well !

Looks like a great project! I'm still in the tube days- and lost.

I don't know, but from what I can see from the wide shot there is a few on the board what would they be for Sens, GB, Disc, maybe test the resistance but still without specs its a guess?

sure someone will know :biggrin:

AJ

JJ,will this mod work on a IDX Pro ?? as i have a mint condition one which i have final plucked up the courage to do a few mods too,change these resistors over and also the manual GB mod as well.This will do for starters and if it works out OK i may do the other mods that most folks do.

Nice project JJ!
I've tinkered with my Tesoro compadres a bit.
Waterproofed one and added extra disc circuits to the other.
Going to stay on the lookout for one of these older whites units to try out!
Thanks for posting.

Noah