Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Detectors, the perfect stable..?

karelian

I've been metal detecting since I was a teenager, now I am on the wrong side of fifty. Experience and habit form my buying decisions and preferences.
A nice smooth threshold, classic good looks matched with build quality. Knobs and switches. All these likes have led me to very much appreciate my over grown collection of White's metal detectors. It has taken ten years plus to put my current machines together.
My first machine was the old blue box 6000d Series 2. Much later I upgraded to the MXT. An outstanding metal detector. Then reading this forum I discovered the existence of the last of the 6000 series, the magnificent XL Pro. After a long search I managed to find one, not in Australia, but the UK.
The Tdi Sl followed years later, I love the weight balance and that smooth threshold. By this time I've put a bit of a collection together.. Finally added the White's Tdi Pro, Oz Series to the mix. Both me and my family as well as friends use the machines.
Over the years I've bought and used other brands and machines, but once they enter my inventory the White's machines have remained.
I even have a spare Xl Pro, knowing if the first bites the dust I'll keep going with the second. So hard to find, makes sense to me.

Funny thing is, no White's machine I own has yet worn out or needed more than cosmetic repair. I've got at least 20 years of good detecting left in me and I suspect these machines will see me out. I have a Whites dealer nearby and their service and support are excellent. No need for more.. that's up to White's since they continue to develop new machines. New technology and innovation sometimes demand our attention.

Since I don't water hunt is it possible I've got every contingency covered? The MX Sport is interesting but I'm not ready to get in the water.

I just hope I'm not alone in having a 'collection'.

Countless hours of hunting, lots of little treasures found, all priceless. A great hobby, you get to see the country, learn its history and enjoy the outdoors. Whites has and continues to play a part in that. Keep making them in the USA, keep doing what you are doing because it looks good from where I am.

All the best,

Karelian

This post made my morning!

I would say the only additions to round out the stable would be -

Surfmaster P.I. for beach hunting

V3i or VX3 for a multifrequency detector

MX Sport just for the raw power it has

But you can also wait and see what we come out with in the next few years. Might make the rest of your collection obsolete, ya never know!

Whites dropped the ball Big Time when they didn't do a few tweaks to the TDI Pro--instead they Dropped their Only competition to Mine LaB. OK,now tell me again WHY?????

doc holiday232 said:
Whites dropped the ball Big Time when they didn't do a few tweaks to the TDI Pro--instead they Dropped their Only competition to Mine LaB. OK,now tell me again WHY?????

Better to focus on the future instead of the past.

For now you can get a TDI SL to equal the TDI Pro's performance with a few tweaks.

This made my day too! Beautiful pictures of your collection of classic knobbed White's detectors. The best detectors ever made are the last of the analog White's. I know, the MXT is really digital, but it has knobs and is in the great SL metal box, which is strong, durable, and balances very well. And its audio is so responsive, it's a little hot rod of a detector.

I bought one of the last XL Pros when they were on closeout for $499 back in 2005. Should have bought 10 of them! The XL Pro will always be one of my favorite detectors and will never leave my collection. IT's the culmination of 30 years of development and perfection of the analog design, essentially the perfected model 6000. White's made some real classics. Wouldn't it be great to see them dust off some of their old designs and bring them back in a "Classic" line? Much like Smith & Wesson has done by bring back into production of some of their classic revolver models.

I started detecting in 1980 when I was 10, but really started getting obsessed as a teenager when I saved up and bought a 6000D Series 3. That detector must have covered many square miles worth of parks and schools in the the Dallas area back in the 80's and I was having the time of my life with such a great machine back when there were still many goods finds to be had and when detecting was still a rare oddity (and I had access almost anywhere I wanted...sigh...).

Yes, you should be good to go for many more years with your array of detectors. Like tboykin said, about the only detector you could add to have everything covered, would be a V3i. I'm an XL Pro and MXT guy myself, and I have to say I really like the V3i for what it is. It performs well, although it is a little too digital for my liking, but it's really fun to experiment with all the settings.

Thanks for the great post karelian!

Awsome collection! White's makes an excellent product. I love dial tuning myself, but am tempted to try the MX sport.

Hi T, I have here everyone talk about the MX Sports, and raw power. How much more power dose it have over the MXT, MXT PRO, any or the same? Will it go deeper or what is more power ?? Thanks I have two reg. MXT, just so if one stops I will have one till the other is fixed. Dean

tboykin said:
doc holiday232 said:

Better to focus on the future instead of the past.

For now you can get a TDI SL to equal the TDI Pro's performance with a few tweaks.

Sorry,but I have both and the SL is not equal to the PRO even with the hotter battery packs.
By looking to the future if you mean another pulse machine with added depth fine--I will be waiting.

I have owned an XLT, DFX, MXT, V3i and now the MX Sport and I have to tell you the MX Sport is by far my favorite. It goes deep and the waterproof feature is a bonus!

davidtn said:
I have owned an XLT, DFX, MXT, V3i and now the MX Sport and I have to tell you the MX Sport is by far my favorite. It goes deep and the waterproof feature is a bonus!

Are you saying the MX Sport really deeper than the rest? It seems detectors really haven't been able to squeeze out any more depth over the last 20 years or so, VLF technology really sort of maxed out long ago. I say this because my old MXT is just as deep as my V3i and CTX 3030. If the MX Sport is actually deeper, then I'll be running out right now to buy one. I hope so, since technology really has stagnated and it would be great if the MX Sport is taking VLF to the next level.

doc holiday232 said:
Sorry,but I have both and the SL is not equal to the PRO even with the hotter battery packs.
By looking to the future if you mean another pulse machine with added depth fine--I will be waiting.

It requires multiple modifications to get the same depth as the TDI Pro. Not only will this get you the Pro's depth but you will be able to pick up smaller targets. Verified myself!

For experienced users the unmodified Pro does enjoy an advantage over an unmodified SL, on response to very small gold and maybe a small percentage in depth, often hard to notice depending on environmental conditions. My experience so far, but I've only had both machines for a short while, the Pro being a recent addition. If you are after gold nuggets then this can matter more than if you are working the beach or relic hunting.

For 90% of the time the performance of the machines are close enough not to matter. 100% of the time the SL is lighter, uses a more convenient battery system compatible with other White's machines. It is easier to operate since it has such a smooth stable threshold.
This translates to less fatigue which means we can focus better at the job on hand. Our ability to concentrate does translate to our success on the field.

If your are after your first Pulse Induction machine and have experience with White's machines then the Tdi Sl is a wonderful machine to transition into. The learning curve does exist but it is minimal.

If raw power and depth were the only considerations then the Pro would be the winner, but because the SL is such a smooth operator I think that evens things out nicely. Now if you start to do modifications then that can change things... either way they are both excellent machines and I enjoy using them both.

Good luck to us all.
Karelian

tboykin said:
doc holiday232 said:

It requires multiple modifications to get the same depth as the TDI Pro. Not only will this get you the Pro's depth but you will be able to pick up smaller targets. Verified myself!

And Where does one get these mods AND WHY doesn't Whites offer these mods??

Those are some really lovely machines and well presented in the images,i also have a soft spot for Whites machines i current have the DFX one of the 1st in the UK and dated 2001,IDX Pro and a TDI Pro,all still used and in stunning condition as well.Must admit the TDI is just like its just left the factory its that immaculate but currently has the 14x9 Coiltek coil on it,but also have the 20'' Sierra Grande Mono coil as well.

The build quality of the old metal box machines are about as good as it gets,the later MX-S and MX-5 machines just dont do it for me,doubt that i will buy another Whites machine though as the current line up as mentioned above will last me many more years,the quality has dropped off in recent years i feel but the technical support from Scotland has been the best ever.

Mega said:
The build quality of the old metal box machines are about as good as it gets,the later MX-S and MX-5 machines just dont do it for me,doubt that i will buy another Whites machine though as the current line up as mentioned above will last me many more years,the quality has dropped off in recent years i feel but the technical support from Scotland has been the best ever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the old metal box design. XL Pro, MXT, etc. I've felt the balance and build of the newer detectors, and the metal box designs have the best build quality, hands down. They beat any other brand too in the build quality department. And the later SL small box are not that heavy and balance perfectly, especially with the right coil. On my XL Pro, that would be the 8" concentric. I wish White's would put more development into these detectors. V3i Pro?

White's customer service is just superb. Good to hear that goes for service over the pond too.

Very Very Nice Collection! Most certainly, you are not the only one with a formidable collection of the large circuit board beauties. I took out the Eagle Spectrum this weekend and pulled a nice 1964 dime that was in area I thought was pretty clean already. :)
Enjoy!

As a longtime Whites fan and user I have built up a small collection as well. Mine are mostly early versions of the chipped detectors. They are 6000 di series 3, eagle 2 sl 90, eagle spectrum, QXT, XLT, and DFX. Must say my favorite is the Eagle 2 sl 90.