Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites dual field battery question

vernt

I'm using the standard alkaline 1.6 volt battery, 12.8 volt battery pack. What is the cutoff voltage for the battery / battery pack where the detector drops off or where it is no longer reasonably usable?
Thanks.

Most of the time I don't talk about things that I don't know about, but no one else has posted so, you need to ask at Whites but I think about all Whites detector has a regularly that helps to control the voltage. If you email Whites or call they can help much better than I can.

Thanks for your reply, I called Whites about it, I was told they don't know,
Someone must, Oh well,

Whites don't know about there one detector, that is not right. They should of put you through to there repair shop. I would call again and tell them to get someone who knows.

Hello,

I own a Surfmaster Pi Pro , Pi Dual Field and a TDI SL , I try to answer Your question:

there are two aspects , one regards the battery itself and the other one the electronics.
Lets start form the latter.

By looking at the schematic diagram I note that:

a) the MOSFET that drives the coil is connected directly to the battery, so the lower the voltage, the lower the flyback voltage in the coil, the lower the target response, THE LOWER THE SENSITIVITY to targets

b) The logic chips 5v power supply is driven by a 78L05 linear regulator that's able, by specs, to maintain 5V regulation only when input voltage is higher than 7 volts.

So, I can say that, for the electronics, to function properly, supply must be at least 7 volts or higher, that , for an 8 battery pack means 0.875 volts per cell.

Regarding the battery pack, by looking at a typical discharge curve of a single alkaline cell at 100ma rate , I see that the curve is pretty linear until it crosses the 1 V line, after which I see a fast drop to zero. In particular, the residual battery capacity between 1 V and 0.7 V is about 100ma, that translates in about 30/40 minutes of endurance for the Surfmaster PI (is it worth it?).
Moreover, consider that, at 1 V per cell, Your battery pack is at 8 V, in other words 4.6 volts lower than a fully charged battery pack, that means a reduced detector sensitivity due to the lower flyback signal in the coil (again: is it worth it?).

In conclusion, I would not want to run my surfmaster at lower than 8 volts, but neither at 9 , or 10 , or 11 volts!

To bypass all of the above, You can build Yourself a rechargeable 10 cells (Yessss they fit!) battery pack using Sanyo Eneloop NiMh rechargable cells that will stay well above 1.2 volts (or 12 volts for the 10 cells pack) for the full battery capacity that means at least 10 Hrs of detecting in the surfmaster PI .
If You recharge Your Eneloop battery pack after every day of use, You'll be sure to run Your Surfmaster always at maximum sensitivity, save money and be sure to find Your Surfmaster always charged after long storage since the Eneloops have a negligible self discharge rate !

FINAL NOTE: in the surfmaster circuit there is a timer TLC555 chip that is connected directly to the battery power. This chip has a maximum operating supply of 15 Volts. A fully charged eneloop cell will be at around 1.42 volts, so the 10 cells battery pack will stay lower than the maximum limit of 15 volts that the 555 can tolerate.
NEVER try to build a 10 battery pack with alkaline batteries , You'll fry the Surf Pi.

Lucar

Lucar,
I like your logic, the problem is that you're referencing the plain ol Surf PI schematic and not the dual field.
....... who knows what changes were made to the newer dual field from the earlier Surf PI.
I have searched unsucessfully for a schematic for the dual field.
Regards
Terry

Hello Terry,

The Pro and the DF share the same schematic.
The DF has just a pulse delay potentiometer added.

I changed battery in both models with the same results.

Regards
Lucar

Lucar,
Sounds good.
I must admit I was assuming the schematic you referenced was for the earlier surf pi rather than the Surf PI Pro as I couldn't (and still can't) spot the S.A.T. circuitry.

Lucar, what you wrote3 is very detailed, thank you very much!
What do you think, the Dual Filed work with 14,8V Lithium-ion battery pack?
If the circuit tolerate, give some deepth gain.

lucar said:
Hello Terry,

The Pro and the DF share the same schematic.
The DF has just a pulse delay potentiometer added.

I changed battery in both models with the same results.

Regards
Lucar