Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Eagle Sierra Spectrum battery problem.

Gozoman

Okay folks this one has me baffled! I was out with the detector a couple of weeks ago at the beach looking for a pair of glasses lost by a friend. The detector started playing up as in things missing from the display etc. I packed it in and went home. Got a chance to have a look at it last week and what was happening was the same as the beach. Also it was starting up with the rechargeable pack but it wouldn't with the C-Cell pack. Also when I switched it off and tried to switch it on again with the rechargeable pack it wouldn't come on again. I contacted White's through their Facebook page and explained what was happening. They said that it sounded like the didplay was shot and because of it's age they had no spares. Now I've had this machine from new and I'm 67 now and don't like change! So I decided to strip it down and see if there was anything loose or a dry joint or whatever. Took the control box to bits to the point where I was wishing I haden't but what the hell it was too late by that point. I found a ribbon cable that was loose at one side but wasn't sure if it had been loose or I had did it in the strip down. Checked for dry joints and found none. So after a few problems I got it all put back together and when I put the rechargeable pack in it started up okay. Connected the coil and it was working fine. Took the rechargeable pack out and put in the C-Cell pack, nothing. Wouldn't come on at all. I charged up both packs overnight and tried again with the same result. I used a battery checker to check the four batteries and they were fine. I used a voltmeter to check the voltage in each battery pack and the rechargeable one came in at 5.6 volts and the C-Cell one at 5.7 volts. The terminals in the control box are clean as I did them when I stripped it down. The contacts on the battery packs are good as I cleaned those up with a fibre brush. So can anyone suggest why a battery pack that measures 5.7 volts won't start the detector and one that measures 5.6 volts does? I'm out of ideas!

Okay folks this one has me baffled! I was out with the detector a couple of weeks ago at the beach looking for a pair of glasses lost by a friend. The detector started playing up as in things missing from the display etc. I packed it in and went home. Got a chance to have a look at it last week and what was happening was the same as the beach. Also it was starting up with the rechargeable pack but it wouldn't with the C-Cell pack. Also when I switched it off and tried to switch it on again with the rechargeable pack it wouldn't come on again. I contacted White's through their Facebook page and explained what was happening. They said that it sounded like the didplay was shot and because of it's age they had no spares. Now I've had this machine from new and I'm 67 now and don't like change! So I decided to strip it down and see if there was anything loose or a dry joint or whatever. Took the control box to bits to the point where I was wishing I haden't but what the hell it was too late by that point. I found a ribbon cable that was loose at one side but wasn't sure if it had been loose or I had did it in the strip down. Checked for dry joints and found none. So after a few problems I got it all put back together and when I put the rechargeable pack in it started up okay. Connected the coil and it was working fine. Took the rechargeable pack out and put in the C-Cell pack, nothing. Wouldn't come on at all. I charged up both packs overnight and tried again with the same result. I used a battery checker to check the four batteries and they were fine. I used a voltmeter to check the voltage in each battery pack and the rechargeable one came in at 5.6 volts and the C-Cell one at 5.7 volts. The terminals in the control box are clean as I did them when I stripped it down. The contacts on the battery packs are good as I cleaned those up with a fibre brush. So can anyone suggest why a battery pack that measures 5.7 volts won't start the detector and one that measures 5.6 volts does? I'm out of ideas!
How old is the not working pack? What happens to the voltage of the not working battery pack if the detector is switched on?? My idea here is there is a cell (or more) faulty. Change the complete set of rechargeables may help.
regards

How old is the not working pack? What happens to the voltage of the not working battery pack if the detector is switched on?? My idea here is there is a cell (or more) faulty. Change the complete set of rechargeables may help.
regards
Well the pack itself is as old as the detector, however the c-cell batteries are brand new rechargeables because the ones I had were a few years old and I thought it best to replace them. No idea what happens to the voltage of the non working pack as it won't turn the detector on, even though the voltage of the pack is slightly higher than the sealed pack.

The battery door cover may not be exerting enough pressure on the battery pack to keep contact. The contact pins on the inside of the detector may have to be bent out a bit. Also, sometimes in the battery holder the batteries may move and not make contact all the time. I used to put some thin foam strips in between the batteries to keep them from moving. I would check these areas first.

I was suggesting the same possible battery problem?
You might have hit it on the head. The contacts on the battery pack are flush so no gaps there but I noticed that one of the rivets has actually pushed through the hole so that might be the problem. Unless you look really close it looks normal. I'll try to repair it first and if that's no use I'll but a new battery pack.

Well the pack itself is as old as the detector, however the c-cell batteries are brand new rechargeables because the ones I had were a few years old and I thought it best to replace them. No idea what happens to the voltage of the non working pack as it won't turn the detector on, even though the voltage of the pack is slightly higher than the sealed pack.
Seriously?? Are you kidding me?