Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Eagle2 sl 90 still nails coins with the best of 'em! 1922 PITTSBURG RAILWAY CO.TOKEN

HaloEffect426

I just re-aquired a White's Eagle2 sl 90 ..from a new friend of mine who went way out of his way to help me get ahold of this (yes, i know couple of decades out of production) Eagle to replace the one I had stolen from me years ago..

Anyway , I thought i'd give it a spin in my little yard on our house that was built in 1909...and see what my new at pro may have missed...after a few pretty good slow hunts w the atp....and the standard dd coil..

Maybe it is that I'm just so used to the older White's machines or I am just not %100 proficient with a different brand, and a whole different generation of technology....
Using the standard coin and jewelry program ,sensitivity on 7 and using the 9.5 concentric coil and in about an hour i found
One clad quarter (buried on edge) one 1950 wheat penny (also on edge)
Couple clad dimes and some clad pennies...
And a. 1922 Pittsburg Railway Company " GOOD FOR ONE FARE" Token...

Not too darn bad for a machine that was, imop. Way ahead of it's time.
HH

The 89 version was the first Whites metal detector I bought. It was, and still is, if you can find one, an excellent coin and relic hunting machine. Good luck!

I'm. With you.....this one may actually bexthe '89 version....it only has three modes.
And is different than my first one. That had. The three ,coin and jewelry, prospecting, and beach hunting and user 1 and user 2
Custom programs and the mixed mode audio tones...
Although this one only has the.three modes and not that awesome audio tone i.d.
It still works just as good as the one i used to have...
And , like you, i found some of my best finds ever with my first one..
So i know you are right....it is an awesome detector for as old as it is!
HH. And thanks!

The Eagle 2 SL 90 has the following programs:

CJ Coin & Jewelry
PP Prospecting & Relic
BH Beach Hunting
CH Competition Hunting
U1 User 1 Program
U2 User 2 Program

As far as I am concerned any of the Eagle 2's are great detectors, and the fact that many of these are still functioning is a tribute to how well made these detectors are. I often use my Eagle 2 SL 90 and have had great success with it.

Don

Both were very nice dependable detectors that found the goodies.... It may have been year related, but I overall fond more silver with those two detectors than any others..

I had a 89" Eagle and sold it. Missed it so bad I got me a 90" Eagle and still have it. I have a new Deus and still use my Eagle 11 sl bout as much. I don't know but I liked the 89 sl better than my 90" but it still looks very nice for a old detector.

Nice finds there HaloEffect426!

I dug a LOT of silver with my Eagle2 SL89. I remember how excited I was when I traded my Eagle2 in on it! I loved the fact that it had an arm rest. It was a lot easier on my shoulder and forearm. It took me a while to find it but as I recall it did have Tone ID - no where near the sophistication and flexibilty of the V3i that I now swing. Because of all of my good finds with the SL 89, my old hunting buddy the late Burlessen James, who was still using the Eagle2, traded his Eagle 2 in on the SL90 just to try to keep up with me hahaha.

I agree with you HaloEffect426, the SL89 and SL90 WILL get the goods! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks, Blind Squirrel!
I know you are right... After picking up a pin pointer for an extra helper...i will be saving
Up for the five mode Eagle2 sl '90 with the audio.....just because!
It may take me awhile to find a good one but that's OK.....
I know Whites broke the mold when they made the eagles....i have no doubt!
HH.....my friend.
:detecting:

Don,
I know you are right.....with the programs.....and THAT is the version. I will be on the hunt for.....
I gotta get a pin pointer first though....its been slowing me down without one!
Anyway....on my first eagle i modified the user1 program from the coin and jewelry. Original.

And the.next. DAY ...i found a ten carrot wedding band..(notch accepted numbrs from 40to 47....i think)
So .....i will stumble across one.....eventually
HH

Howdy HaloEffect426--

Since you have been swinging a coil since 1974, I'm sure that you could tell a story or 2 about your successful hunts! Those were the days! It wasn't unusual to come home from a hunt with 10 to 15 silver coins and other goodies. I remember in the late 1980's hunting old "oil-camps" which were the equivalent of a modern day ghost town. Typically they were communities of about 50 home sites - sidewalks and foundations were all that remained. One such camp comes to mind. There were still 2 occupied homes ,each had a crabby old man in their late 80's that were former employees of the oil company. In the past , they said that if they saw someone with a detector there they would run them off and that I was the first person to ask for permission which was granted to me and Burlesson James. That camp was active from the late 1930's to the early 1950's so mercs, Barbers and Indians were common finds. We also dug quite a few WW2 relics - Navy Wings, Bambardier wings etc. I also dug my one and only silver dollar there - a 1921-S Morgan. I still go back there every now and then but I'm lucky to get a Wheat Cent. We pretty much cleaned it out with the Sl89 & SL90. Thanks HaloEfect426 for taking me for a stroll down memory lane! I hope that you find a good SL90! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I loved my Whites Eagle SL II 90 as well. The last generation with the 950 loop and black box. They weren't that good on wet salt beaches though :( But on land, they were very versatile. I loved the ability to "key-down" while in disc. mode. It was like going from a large to a small coil with the click of the trigger.

The only reason I switched out the Eagle was because they eventually became "dated" in regards to the depth that newer machines were achieving.

Just gotta ask. My hometown, Pittsburg, Texas is one of the few that spell it that way. Any indication of the state? Thanks.

Slingshot,
Funny you mention that.....It never even crossed my mind with the spelling of the town!
I made an assumption that it was from Pennsylvania...i really don't know.
I did see quite a few of the same tokens for sale on the FLEA bay though. LoL!

It was kinda cool finding it in my yard...since I live in western Indiana though...
HH

Blind Squirrel
Wow, that is a very cool story bout the oil towns....interesting...AWESOME that you actually dug up a morgan dollar! That's. One on me.( never dug up a silver dollar!!! Bet you were stoked!))and your welcome for the memory trip!
It is something I have to keep in mind while I coin shoot today...
Those days of raking in five or more mercs..roosys...barbers. In one days hunt.. Etc... Are far and few between..

Also, I just realized i spelled it wrong after looking at my own post and picture
On the token it is spelled.
PITTSBURGH......and not PITTSBURG....like I originally posted So now i guess i need to look
Into it further. ( it's actual state of origin and usage)
Thank you for bringing up this point!! Im glad you brought this up!
HH

Slingshot,
You brought up a very good question. And i mis spelled the town on my original post! Yikes
Thank you for pointing this out!
HH

HaloEffect426 said:
Slingshot,
Funny you mention that.....It never even crossed my mind with the spelling of the town!
I made an assumption that it was from Pennsylvania...i really don't know.
I did see quite a few of the same tokens for sale on the FLEA bay though. LoL!

It was kinda cool finding it in my yard...since I live in western Indiana though...
HH
Had to ask. Pittsburg, Texas is credited (by some) to have the first known flight (Ezekiel Warship)---even though aloft for only 10 seconds. Technically, it would never have worked as an airplane- but you know how locals feel! It is also the home of Pilgrim's Pride chicken, and world famous Pittsburg Hot Links. We also tied the all time high schools football record for shutouts in a single season. The only reason we didn't break it was a miscue where a 4th down punt ended in a safety when the center flew the ball over the punter's head. Heartbreaking.

HaloEffect426,

The Oil company's provided housing for their hands. Many of the oil fields were "in the middle of nowhere" here in west Texas. It made sense for the oil company's to build towns close to work sites.

HaloEffect426, you BET I was stoked when I dug that Morgan! I learned a lot about detecting at that site. I had only been detecting for about 4 years and I was learning on the fly - no computer web sites dedicated to our hobby.Prior to that oil-camp, I would ignore signals that gave 87-92 VDI's - they seemed to always be cans, large pieces of brass or copper. Who wants to dig that junk? I thought.Well, I found one area at that camp where I eyeballed several mercs, Buffalo nickles, silver quarters and Lincolns.When I went back to the truck to rest and have a cold drink, I remembered that I had a signal that VDI'd at 88-89 which I of course ignored. I went right back to that 88-89 and dug a 1943-D Walking Liberty Half. Now, I relish large signals or high VDI's. If it's not a coin or other good target but a large piece of brass or copper that's good too - I recycle it! I usually dig and recycle about $1,000 per year in copper, brass and lead. Now I'm hunting mostly vacant urban lots or vacant abandoned houses. I almost always dig silver and sometimes some gold jewelery. best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Ooooooooooohhh yeah........dig, dig, dig those. Higher number signals.......

I think it was around 1995. Ish.. When i had a really, really deep 89 signal. ( i think #89 anyways)
(Well, it sounded pretty darn deep ) but solid....signal

Man i took my time....and yeah ...i dug my share of those wierd brass rings and odd big old copper junk.
BUT...... Knowing I was in one of my best ever parks that produced tooooo many
Mid 1800's coins to even begin to tell ya....

Got to the ten inch mark and determined NOT TO GIVE UP on this signal.....as it was locking in.....right on that half dollar number
And had a relatively small.....coin pinpoint....sounded beautiful

There. It. Was. All I saw at the bottom of the hole was. A silver rim
AND. The letters......."..alf. Doll"" the rest was still covered up.....Wow!!

Heart pumper......out came a gorgeous. 1911. "S" Barber half dollar !
In prolly above very good shape....... First and only barber half ive found to date
10 inches deep...measured......

So ......yeah.....DIG......them signals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:
HH

HaloEffect426,

Congratulations on that 1911-S Barber Half! That's some good detecting and you sure earned that find! I'm STILL looking for my first Barber Half. Sooner or later I'll get one - I hope! hahahah. My best (oldest) half I dug in the first week when the DFX came out. There was a city block in the oldest part of town where there were a few foundations and sidewalks. I had already dug a few Indian Head Cents, V nickles, wheat's and mercs there when I got a nice 87-88 signal at 6". It was about 5 inches from the sidewalk. I did the happy-dance when I saw that beautiful eagle. It turned out to be a heavily worn 1867-S Seated Half. That was my first Seated Coin find. I'm still looking for my first Seated Half Dime and Seated dollar.

HaloEffect426, talking about "big" signals, I can't help but think about big signals in area, not necessarily big VDI's. My hunting buddy, Kenneth, and I had been hunting an old section of town for about 3 years and we were running out of fresh hunting sites. Out of desperation I saw a vacant lot that we must have passed by at least 100 times. It just never looked like it had any potential no trees, no foundations, no sidewalks -just a vacant lot. I said: "what the heck , Kenneth, lets give it a try - it might not be worth a darn but at least it's new dirt!" Well, we got out of the truck and saw a few holes - we weren't the first detectorists there. That didn't dissuade us - nobody gets it all. After a few swings with my V3i I spotted a surface nickel (it was a 1954 or 5) and as I was picking it up Kenneth yelled - "got a merc!" and then "got another merc"! I angled towards where Kenneth was hunting and got a big signal. When I say big signal, I mean in area - about 3 feet in area. I had learned a long time ago that some times those big signals are NOT pipes or large pieces of tin etc. but a coin spill. So I dug. HaloEffec426 , it took me 3 separate hunts to clean out that BIG SIGNAL! When all was said and done I had 0ver 35 silver coins (mercs, Roosevelt's, Washington's, silver Jefferson's Buffalo nickles and over 300 wheat's). Talk about FUN! In retrospect, I could have cleaned it out a lot faster if I had been smart enough to use my pinpointer! Kenneth ended up digging 23 silver coins too, including a beautiful 1937-S Walking Liberty Half. I guess you just never know about a site until you swing the coil and check out those "Big Signals"! Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel