Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Eclipse Shooter DD vs White's Eclipse 5.3"

goldlubber

Hi fellow hunters.......Don't know when I last posted but I would like to know opinions and experience on White's ECLIPSE SHOOTER DD vs White's Eclipse 5.3" . They seem to me to be basically the same size. One a concentric and the other an elliptical. I've seen more comments about the 5.3 than the other but that's only what I've seen. From those that have or use both I am interested in your experience. This forum is fun to read and very informative. I've taken numerous notes. Thanks to all that have contributed.

I used both in iron infested ghost towns on the M6 and MXT Pro. At the end of the day the Eclipse 5.3 was a far better coil. I could detect little rivets off of pants in all that iron trash in the ghost towns. Never felt the 4x6 was as good as performer. I sold my 4x6. If I was going to try and get a smaller coil to use in trash I would look at the round Detech 5" Excelerator Coil. I have had good luck with that coil and does a great job.....I still have a couple of them. Anyhow just my thoughts.

here is a link to Kellyco so ya can see the coil.

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/products/accessories/134-5W/5in-dd-excelerator-search-coil

First, I note that this was only your 4th post and you registered 3 years ago. I hope you'll get more active on the forums as it helps us all to learn more from questions, suggestions, and such.

Second, let me make a few corrections to your post, if you don't mind.

goldlubber said:
Hi fellow hunters.......Don't know when I last posted but I would like to know opinions and experience on White's ECLIPSE SHOOTER DD vs White's Eclipse 5.3".
The '5.[size=small]3[/size]' label was more of a marketing effort than using a common practice approach to describing a physical size. You called it a 5.[size=small]3[/size]", but it has long been a common practice to describe a search coil by its actual physical measurement. The 5.[size=small]3[/size] Bullseye coils [size=small](for the 6.59 kHz models)[/size] and 5.[size=small]3[/size] Eclipse coils are round-shaped search coils that measure about 6½" across. That's why I call them a 6½" coil so as not do mislead a reader/consumer/shopper with an incorrect size measurement.

goldlubber said:
They seem to me to be basically the same size.
Somewhat, yes. The Eclipse Shooter is an elliptically-shaped search coil and the longer, fore-aft measurement is almost the same as the diameter of the 5.[size=small]3[/size] labeled/6½" coil.

goldlubber said:
One a concentric and the other an elliptical.
You are only partly correct, but you erred by describing a coil 'type' with a coil 'shape,' and those are two different things. Instead, you could describe EACH coil by SHAPE and DESIGN, such as a Round Concentric [size=small](the 6½")[/size] and an Elliptical Double-D [size=small](the Shooter coil)[/size]. A Concentric or a Double-D internal winding designed coil can be configured to fit either a Round or an Elliptically shaped search coil housing, so the coil type is not assigned solely to the coil shape.

goldlubber said:
I've seen more comments about the 5.3 than the other but that's only what I've seen. From those that have or use both I am interested in your experience. This forum is fun to read and very informative. I've taken numerous notes. Thanks to all that have contributed.
You will likely see far more comments about the 5.[size=small]3[/size] labeled 6½" Concentric coil than you will the small-size 'Shooter' DD coil because there are far more people using the 6½" Concentric coil.

When the MXT was first introduced I ordered one and thought I would give the 'Shooter' size DD a try because I almost always [size=small](95% to 98% of the time)[/size] am using a smaller-than-stock search coil due to the very trashy sites I try to hunt the most. I was curious how that coil would feel, and how it would handle, and also if I would like the performance of a Double-D coil's 'behavior' when sites were very littered, especially with a lot of ferrous trash.

Oh, I already had a DD coil on my old Compass TR, but I generally used smaller-size Concentric coils and had a 7' Concentric on my Tesoro Bandido, 7" Concentric on my Bandido II µMAX [size=small]([size=x-small]micro[/size]MAX)[/size], a 6½" Concentric on my White's Classic ID and a 6½" Concentric on my XLT ... all of them Round shaped.

Well, it didn't take long before I decided I didn't like the skinny little DD coil compared with the round Concentric coils, especially in a dense iron littered site, or where trash was closely spaced with desired coins, etc. So I got a 6½" Concentric, the 5.[size=small]3[/size] Eclipse, for my MXT and did a few comparisons, side-by-side, with the Shooter coil. I then sold the Shooter coil and have never missed it. The 6½" Concentric coil worked better in the trashy sites, provided me better Discrimination in ferrous junk, and due to that my audio responses and visual Target ID read-outs were tighter and more accurate with a Concentric coil. In addition, I got better depth of detection in low-target sites than I did with the Shooter DD coil.

Those are just my experiences and my opinions about which of the two coils I prefer.

Monte

The 5.3 Eclipse coil is hard to beat on the Whites M Series detectors. I have both and use the 5.3 Concentric 99% of the time when hunting in trash. I won't repeat what Monte said but I agree with his evaluation of the two coils. If I only had one coil for my M6 or MX5 it would be the 5.3 because like Monte, most of my hunting is in trashy spots.

Monte.....yes it has been awhile since I last posted. Life happens and sooooo many things to run after. Didn't take much time with "tecting". Hopefully that will change. You are correct in all you say. I always liked your answers as I've read numerous posts. I really appreciate your attentive insights. ( experience DOES show doesn't it?).
Anyway, as time, questions and experience demands, I will post as need be.

Thanks again for your input Monte.

I will be putting my Elliptical Double-D up for sale.

Take Care

goldlubber said:
Monte.....yes it has been awhile since I last posted. Life happens and sooooo many things to run after. Didn't take much time with "tecting". Hopefully that will change. You are correct in all you say. I always liked your answers as I've read numerous posts. I really appreciate your attentive insights. ( experience DOES show doesn't it?).
Anyway, as time, questions and experience demands, I will post as need be.

Thanks again for your input Monte.

I will be putting my Elliptical Double-D up for sale.

Take Care

"If Money Is No Object"
You may want to keep the 4x6 and pick up a 5.3 with a couple of extra lower rods.
There are a few rare occasions when the 4x6 can be the right tool.

Hi plidn1......I already have both of these coils......it was just that I was out of the loop so long I didn't know if I should keep both. ...:shrug:

Thanks for your input.....:thumbup:

I had a very unusual thing that happened to me the other day when I went to a nearby park. I took out the MX5 and was going to get some time in with it. I had the 5.3 Eclipse coil on and when I turned it on, the MX5 was going crazy from apparant EMI. Even though I lowered the Sensitivity to about 4-5 bars, I still got a lot of Interference. Just for grins, I decided to switch to the 4X6 DD Shooter coil an I was able to run it wide open or one bar off wide open the whole time. I really meant to put the 5.3 back on to see if maybe I didnt have the connection right or something but as it got cooler in the afternoon kids came out of the woodwork and I decided to call it a day. In my experience, I have always had more trouble with DD coils when it comes to EMI so I was pretty shocked that the Shooter did so well. I am leaning towards a loose coil connection or something causing the EMI sensitivity that I didn't have time to try and remedy. I was glad that I had the 4x6 with me since I was away from home at the time. Just thought I would post this and see if anyone else has had that same situation.

If you have coils with coil covers attached, some times you can get dirt and filings between the coil and cover creating all kinds of problems.
Keeping them cleaned out or sealing them is standard maintenance.
I have never had any sort of problem with my 5.3 and it has over 3000 hours on it. I switch it from machine to machine.
Generally they are bullet proof.
But then again, every once in a while something goes wrong.
I think they call that Murphy's?

Thanks for the info and yes I have covers on my coils but I am pretty OCD about cleaning my machine top to bottom after a hunt. I think it was more than likely a connection issue because I have never had a problem with the 5.3 in the past or since.