Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:whites: First impressions of the Vision :yikes:

Mr.Bill

If the field results are anywhere like my test garden results, Whites has, perhaps the best VLF detector they have ever made, performance wise. :)

Nugget hunting should produce a few surprised users. I buried a 5 grain, and a 3 grain nugget. It has no difficulty finding them at 5".

My test quarter at 12" was located, and ID'ed.

This is a unit that will take a small learning curve to put under your control, but I doubt there will be many disappointed users with it.

Just to clear the air a bit about me being a dealer, and this could be hype. I am not a Whites dealer. I have nothing to gain by hyping it up, it's just a real nice unit, period.

If the weather gets a tad warmer I'll take it to the salt beach to try it out. More on that later.

Have a nice day

Hi Bill.

Your testbed results are impressing. 12" with correct ID.

ID at that depth or even 10" is a big problem, well the depth in it self is a big problem before we start to talk ID.

edit,,, now that testcoin would have been interesting for pics of the seach and analyze screens.... :super:

Bjorn

To start out with, test beds are a far lot easier to find targets in than in the wild. You know where the target is, and all you have to do is stand over the target, sweep the coil, make adjustments. One other thing to add to the mix. Sweeping a few times over a metal target tends to excite the eddy currents in the metal, making it easier to detect.

I buried this coin many years ago, and I can say that I had a few VLF detectors that would hit on it right out of the box. A couple even ID

I understand what you are saying, and you added some more important info to the test.

I have a half dollar size silver coin at 12" in my garden( 30 cm), I have yet to detect it with any detector with proper ID. I buried it intensionally out of my Explorers reach as future reference.

The ground where the coin is buried reads about 80 on the MXT and with 8 Jeff Foster Coin Inches measured...

I can hear the coin on the MXT in all metal and with threshold rise and with the Explorer just barely moving the crosshair about.

But In real life detecting i would have to have real confidence in the spot and had to be aiming at all target recovery to even consider digging it.

Dont regret the 12" test and revieling it. It says alot to the ones who listen...

I can say this, no MXT has been able to find the quarter here either, all metal or not..:shrug: The Explorer can just squeak it out. Not a signal one would dig.

Some detectors handle certain ground better than others. The MXT works fine in other places, just not as great as this Vision does here. I'm fortunate, I have a lot of different detectors to use, test, play with. I am impressed quite a bit with the Vision, but to be truthfully, it's what I expected from Whites.

What really impressed me a lot was the way it responded to small pieces of gold. You questioned the 12" coin, but the real hot thing was a 5 grain, (not gram) piece of gold at 5 ". My jewelry testing was just as good, even though gold jewelry and gold nuggets are totally different to a detector.

Sorry I got carried away here. I'll do no more. I have to keep telling myself, different strokes for different folks. :)

Hi Bill,

No need for regret Bill, you gave a very well explained write-up on your first impressions. Anyone can certainly understand your message. Thankyou for that effort.

Bill, may I ask a few questions....

(a) what is your ground phase (MXT or F-75 readings would do just fine) and the % by volume magnetite rdg?

(b) how does the F-75 perform on these targets? The nugget would necessarily need to be checked in both JE mode and all-metal motion....both with a positive GB offset of two full units. This info will provide a means of comparison when evaluating the Vision results.

(c) which frequency hits hardest on a large piece of "rusty" iron. The iron should be large enough to yield a VDI well into the non-ferrous range, for example, a VDI of 20plus would be ideal for this test. Why? I am a prospector, and I am thinking about response in the field to large iron ID as contrasted to other similar desirable VDI targets.

(d) finally, Bill I was intrigued with a comparative view between the silver dime and wheat penny "analyze" screen presentation over on another thread here. The silver dime illustrated the lowest frequency hitting hardest, while if I recollect the wheatie was hit hardest by the 7.5 frequency. That struck me as a bit odd. If that resultant "fingerprint" is representative (at least in the air test), then perhaps there is some potential for an ID advantage in the ground as well with these two slightly different conductivities.
Would you kindly repeat this ID test and related the results back to this thread? The question is which frequency hits hardest in either instance.

I hope this is not too much imposition on your time Bill. If so, I do completely understand and please don't be concerned with it. Thankyou for considering these questions.

Jim Hemmingway

Hey there Mr Bill. Was wondering if you've ever tried out a Cointrax Baron in your test garden and how it compares. I had a modded Cobra II that would find things deeper with an 8" coil than other detectors with 9.5" to 10" coils could. seeing as a Cointrax is kinda like a Cobra II on steroids, I'm kinda wondering. ..Willy.

Whites machines have always been a favorite of mine to coin shoot with and I am sure the Vision will be great at that as well ... I am wondering about its performance in that black sand salt water or if any one has been trying it on that kind of beach now that Whites uses a D coil. . I know it will be different performance in different areas but I take from your experiance what I want.
A good take on that type of hunting with the Vision would be of interest to me if someone gets a chance to post about it Thanks and good luck to you.

Hi Tinfoil

I looked, but it didn't register all the way for this old fart. Too many things going on at that moment. I was concentrating on setting it to respond to the quarter.

Hi Bill, do you think it is better than a Fisher ID Edge ?
Here http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,258753,page=2 you wrote:

Mr Bill said:
Also, the Edge did not seem to 'lock on' to targets well at all...even missed (no signal) several of the deeper coins that the 3D hit with a solid high tone.

Here again we differ. In New England where I live, I find no problems locking on to targets, but I think it comes back to the VCO, or no VCO pin point. If it was during normal detecting mode I would not find it unusual to find two different detector being able for one to hit on a target, and the other not. On a different location, you may find that reversed. I can say with certainty, in my ground on Cape Cod, Ma. The Edge will ID properly on a 12

with a six inch coil mounted to it. I know mine will, it is depth monster for sure. What magic tricks did you do to my detector
Mr. Bill? Whatever ya done to it, the ground ballance and a threshold adjustability are just too sweet!................Hombre