Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's MXT or Garrett Ace 250?

iggy

Hi All,
Wanted to hear your thoughts on this.
I'm looking for an easy all around detector for land and beach detection. Coins, relics but no gold.

I have a friend who wants to sell his MXT. It has the basic 950 coil as well as a sniping coil and a large oval DD Elliptical. It has adj volume headphones as well as the sold case for the detector.

I was looking at the Garrett Ace 250 or even the new Ace 350 coming out in a few months. I just like the simplicity of this detector.
I do know the Ace 7.2 kHz is a lower freq than the MXT which is 14kHz

I have had more advance gold detector in the past . Minelab 2100v2 so I do know how to tune a detector.

OK. The questions are:
1. What is a used MXT worth in relations to a new Garrett Ace 250 with 2 coils for $297
2. Do you feel the MXT will better suit my needs or the Ace 250?
3. Which one will make me more happy in the long run?

Tell me the truth! I can handle the truth.

Thanks in advance

[size=large]just for starters i think you'll find the mxt will be your best bet. my ace 250 found lots of coins and may have preformed better if i knew more. i don't feel it's as well balanced as the mxt will be. i can swing my xlt three times longer than my ace. the mxt is supposed to be just as well balanced. the ace may also have a slower recovery rate than the mxt what i understand is fast. i haven't tested the recovery rate yet on the ace. i would lean to the mxt. there's not much adjusting to the garrett and it just seems that the mxt isn't going to miss as much aa the garrett. sure will cost more though. [/size]

I own both detectors your talking about and they are both good detectors but the MXT is the better of those two detectors . The Ace is more of a starter detector machine than the MXT is . You have a prospecting program in the MXT that the ace doesn't have . I also like the mid range freg . The MXT has a better selection of coils and the recovery is alot faster on it . I believe you wouldn't grow past the MXT as fast as you would the Ace . The MXT is as easy as the Ace to pick up and use very easy . The MXT is noisier than the ace as it is a threashold machine . The Ace has the three tone ID the MXT uses one tone and two in relic mode . I myself like the tone Id the new MXT pro's have the tone ID like the M6 does they say there really nice . You might concider a used M6 also I own one of those too and its sort of a little brother to the MXT and is a more silent machine with tone ID on it but runs in coin mode onlybut works just as good and cost less money . Another thing to concider is the weight of the machine depending on your physical condition , the Ace weights 2.6 pounds and the MXT weights 4.3 pounds . That is a good price for the MXT if it is in good running order so make sure it is as a machine that old will not have a warranty left on it . Most used MXT's are selling from 450 to 550 as far as I can see from past listings but thats usely with some warranty left on them . I like a VDI read out on the visual Id system of the MXT and the Ace only uses a Icon type ID system . Hope this helps some sorry for being long winded but there is alot of difference in those two machines .

My honest opinion if the MXT is in good operateing order it would be the best buy if you can afford that much for a machine .But only you know what kind of machine you will be comfortable with and enjoy the most . Good Luck

Harold

Most all of the guys said it all. I honestly feel you'll be happier with the MXT rather than the Ace 250. The MXT is a well balanced machine. We bought my mother of 79 years young a Ace 250 when they came out and for her it's perfect. She doesn't go out on long hunts as like we do. Simplicity? The MXT is just as easy as the ACE. How old is the used MXT? Mine is going on 9 years and it's still in perfect working condition. I can run with the big boys! The resale value of the MXT will be much better than the ACE also. HH, Nancy

I really like your answers. Ace 250 is a beginner model which I will out grow quickly.
The MXT I will use and stay with a long time.
If the MXT is in good operation and shape worth the money.

I think you have helped me make my decision.

How much does your friend want for his MXT with the two extra coils?

I also have both the Ace 250 and the MXT.

1. What is a used MXT worth in relations to a new Garrett Ace 250 with 2 coils for $297
Its worth lots more especially in terms of resale.

I hope the second coil with the Ace is the sniper coil. The 9x12 isn't going to do you much good in
trashy areas but in the farm lands you can cover more areas quicker.

2. Do you feel the MXT will better suit my needs or the Ace 250?
Probably since the Ace 250 can't Handel salt water well but does OK, I am told, on sandy Beach's. Its just fine however on fresh
water beadhes and IN the fresh water as well.

3. Which one will make me more happy in the long run?
The MXT hands down. I have used the Ace 250 a lot and I can tell you I can go back over the area
with the MXT and STILL find stuff I didn't get with the Ace.

The MXT is very easy to operate. Ground Balance is easy as well. The MXT will operate
in mineralized ground better than the Ace, that is preset.

Katz

Your comparing apples to oranges here. Post your question on the general forum for a wider response. :thumbup:

:lmfao: I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but it's the most important fact of all. Everyone knows that Black metal detectors find more good stuff than Yellow metal detectors.

Dont think that ANYONE on the MXT forum would actually recommend a Garrett ACE 250 over the MXT ???? :confused: CCH

Another question.

I have noticed that some MXT detectors have a toggle switch under the left side of the screen and have seen other MXT's without this toggle switch but they have a black button on the handle for pinpointing mode.

Is the one with the toggle switch an older model than the one with the pinpointing mode button?

Thanks for your continued help.
:thumbup:

Evey MXT produced by White's has had the Toggle switch under the pod. If you've seen anything different, it must have been a modification done by someone else.

I think both machines can not be compared, the ace250 is an entry level model, and the MXT medium-advanced

if you want to just give this hobby a try, pickup an ace250 second hand, then if you like it upgrade

I have to agree with the above. The Ace 250 ( there is now an Ace 350 ) is an
entry machine, but you could also try the new Coin Master, or the Prizm 5 now called the 5G.
If metal detecting is not for you then you have not spent too much out of pocket.

also there is a $100 coupon for the Prizms.
Katz

5G

Coupond

Hi iggy, I have owned the ace 250 and now have the MXT pro. The ace 250 is a good detector for basic coin hunting but that's about it. The depth is also way better on the mxt and you can say that you are getting 3 detectors in 1 with the mxt. If your friend is selling you his mxt with all 3 coils for around $500.00 that's a steal. If not not you can usually find mxt's for around $400.00 to $500.00 in decent condition with stock 9.50 coil , which is a decent coil. Plus you have a bunch of coils that you can use on the mxt. I'm happy with the switch and finding more goodies. Just my 2 cents. Albert

I've had Ace-250, and now have the MXT.
The Ace is a great machine once you learn to read it.
I personally think the ACE is very good coin machine.
I have measured finds at 6.5" with the I.D. being ~65% right.
If it is silver the the I.D. will be better but clad and wheaties make it think.
I would Pin-Point first, if it were over 5" I dig anything with 50% or better "good" idea.
And the ACE was killer on Nickels, if it stay on Nickel both ways and never Change I.D it was all most all ways a Nickel.
I did some relic hunting with the Ace but it didn't like the smaller object like percussion caps ect.
I did dig some bullets with it at 5 or so inches and a couple flat buttons. It was ok but the other guy had me beat.
If we would have been coin shooting I bet the Ace would hang right in there.

Now for the MXT, The MXT loves to find stuff and it wants it to be good.
The MXT doesn't want to pass anything up, so it gives you alot more noise compared to the Ace.
I'm not saying it won't pass anything up because it does and will. I've coin hunted with the MXT and
it is great. In my personal opinion the ACE is a bit better at I.Ding coins.
But that could also mean that the Ace will miss what the MXT doesn't.
If you like to dig get the MXT you'll find more but you'll have to dig more.
But it excels at relic and some prospecting. It was after all based off a Prospecting Detector.
The MXT knows what iron is and it knows you don't want it. In relic mode you get 3 tones.
Dig all tones but iron, if it gives you good tones both ways. DIG it.

In short the Ace-250 is one of the very best turn on and go Coin hunter, and is capable of more to a limit.
The MXT finds more, but you dig more, and some times it gets old when you hit a construtionrutionectte ect.
opper wire.

Heck, I say get both and use the Ace when you want to pick 80% of the coins fast.
Then break out the MXT and finish up. That is what I should have done.

I've done experiments, using the Ace 250 on a 20 by 20 foot area
and went back over the same area with the MXT and picked up what my Ace missed
HOWEVER keep in mind I may not have overlapped properly when swinging the
coil the first time. Also I went at the site from two directions, first in one direction and then from another
trying to make sure I missed nothing with the Ace. I did the same with the MXT.
To do the experiment properly you must take your time and make sure your swings overlap
on each swing.
Katz

The Dang thing is there I KNOW IT!

I think the only way to compare two machines is at the same time. Get a beep with one then grab the other and see if it's beeps too. Otherwise it may come down to simply getting the coil over the target.

Dumped my ace after a week
Running an mxt
Won't look back
Buy it before it gets away