Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Official Audio Volume Fix

Carl-NC

Sorry this has taken so long, but here is the "official notice" on the volume fix:

"Whites has adjusted the volume range of Spectra-Sound headphones in response to the small percentage of Vision/V3 owners who find the minimum target volume uncomfortable. This adjustment allows the Target Volume to be reduced from its current minimum by an additional 20dB. White's will make the software change at no charge.

If you find the minimum volume to be uncomfortable, send your control box and the Spectra-Sound headphone, without loop, rods, battery or charger, to:

White's Electronics
1011 Pleasant Valley Rd.
Sweet Home OR 97330
Attn: Todd Marshall.

NOTE: YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CUSTOM PROGRAMS AND PROGRAM CHANGES

Whites will make these adjustments our first priority and return your unit, freight prepaid, including a loop cover at no charge."

Some additional notes...

In extending the low end of the volume range by 20dB (audible perception of being 1/4th as loud) we increased the volume step size from 1dB to 2dB. So the volume control will be slightly coarser, but it's barely noticeable. We have also tied the volume of the headphone power-on/power-off jingle to the "effects" volume control, so it is quieter and adjustable.

If you find the volume range to be perfectly acceptable, then there is no advantage to getting the software upgrade. There are no other software enhancements being made at this time.

V3 was by no means rushed to market and underwent some of the most thorough field testing ever done on a White's detector. It is nonetheless the most complex metal detector we've ever delivered, and there were bound to be some birthing pains. I appreciate everyone's patience in working through this.

- Carl@White's

Thanks Carl

Will this be standard on all new Vision/V3 produced including UK models ? any news when the machine will be available to the UK

Yes, all new V3's are being produced with v1.1 software, including imminent UK models. I'm pleased to say that we have passed emissions testing* and will be building units for the UK ASAP.

- Carl

* We only use unleaded fuel for low emissions

Thanks for letting us all know Carl. I was one of the minority that found the volume thing an issue and very appreciative of you guys getting on it so quick! Just came in from a night hunt with your new "baby" an all I can say is WOW! The big screen was so nice to work with and found a lot of targets with a retrieval speed that matched a day hunt!! I've been so busy with work and dealing with this terrible winter we've all been having here in the NW that I couldn't pass up a dry spell...even if it was in the dark. Was able to put three solid hours in and what a treat to begin to get into a comfort zone on that machine. The Whites team did something special with this one I'll tell ya!! Thanks and congratulations. (Passing out cigars these days?)

Carl

Brilliant news that the Vision has passed the tests and will be hitting the UK soon, i will be getting one, maybe with a 10x6 coil or a 9.5 coil

Has all the issues with the D2 coil been fixed now some of the first ones that came out had some problem i believe?

I had one for my DFX it was OK on best Data but on the 15KHz it was unusable sounding off every sweep

Hi Carl,already pre-orderedthe V3, in the UK,WAITING in anticipation the new detector, best news I have heard in a while.

regards John

That is so great Carl...

The service Whites show here is unique in the industry.

One more good reason to choose a Whites detector.

:clapping:

Carl, if I send my "Vision" in for this fix, would they be inclined to rebadge it to the "Spectra V3"? I would like to keep it the old way :)

The software has the Spectra V3 name on the splash screen. I don't know what about the box - I'm guessing it'll stay as it was? But just to be safe, include written instructions to not put the new sticker on couldn't hurt...

ak_1234 said:
The software has the Spectra V3 name on the splash screen. I don't know what about the box - I'm guessing it'll stay as it was? But just to be safe, include written instructions to not put the new sticker on couldn't hurt...

Good point about the software splash screen. I didn't think about that. I suppose that's cool and all, I really just want the volume fixed. But I do like the Vision name on the side of the box. I thought they may be legally obligated to change it.

Carl, Will we ever be able to do firmware upgrades ourselves? I was under the impression that Whites was working on a USB dongle so the Vision could connect with a computer.. If the dongle is made available will the wireless connection be secure enough for something as delicate as a firmware upgrade? There are bound to be many small improvements that could be made to the firmware if it easily upgradeable. PC to Vision interface would still be useful without firmware upgrade capability for sharing programs & such but I was hoping for state of the art .. wildherre

We are working on a USB dongle that will allow you to transfer custom program settings to & from the PC. It is not viable to use this for programming the micros, it is way too slow for that. Beyond that, there are 3 micros in V and one more in the headphones; in the audio fix, ferinstance, we are reprogramming 3 out of 4 of these. The hardware wasn't set up for end-user programming. We may revisit this in the next hardware design.

- Carl

Thanks for the info Carl. I'm probably going to wait until after a big group hunt that's coming up to send mine in.

Carl

Nqw all I need is a plug in transmitter module for my TDI to llink up form the headphone jack to my nice new wirelessV3 headphones.

Hi Carl,

I for one would be very grateful to someday be able to own a detector that could be updated via software downloads from the internet. I can only imagine the loyalty that would be created by a company contacting me as an end user and telling me there was a free update I could download that would improve some feature or activate some totally new feature. Any of us been around computers long enough are used to firmware updates. Heck, I even downloaded an update for my Blu-Ray player recently. You produce that detector and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Steve Herschbach

You understand, of course, that free updates don't pay our wages. If, at some point in the future, we build a detector that is user-updateable, we will need to follow some kind of software model where you pay for updates, and least of the non-bug-fix variety. And the update firmware you get would be keyed to your detector. That said, would folks still be interested?

- Carl