Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's Spectra V3i is a 'Legend'

#1Leatherneck

Spectra V3i is proclaimed to be the most configurability metal detector? ? ? I and many others believe it is the only metal detector that will teach metal detecting more than any other.
I have owned mine now for a few years and realize to my knowledge it is still the only 'Simultaneous' multi-frequency that displays adequate information allowing the operator
to know the freq./kHz displayed on the screen? It has so many capabilities that to not learn them is seriously denying an operator of all of its' potential. Likewise, it has capabilities using the gold prospecting mode that I have seen only one detectorist use. The ability to track ground and lock that to prevent it from changing is only one of its' abilities.
Perhaps, Garrett will bring it back with a modern one. I own another metal detector; however, I will never sell my V3i.
Curious if any of my fellow members still own and use their V3i?
Some may think it was only a 'Legend' in its' own time! Definition: 2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame: She is a legend in her own time.
Others may think it is only a 'Legend' in my own mind!
Curious if there is anyone that has studied the technology/ability and has used the full potential of the V3i?

Leatherneck

Semper fidelis

White's still is legendary.

Whites V3 Advertisement resize.jpg

Spectra V3i is proclaimed to be the most configurability metal detector? ? ? I and many others believe it is the only metal detector that will teach metal detecting more than any other.
I have owned mine now for a few years and realize to my knowledge it is still the only 'Simultaneous' multi-frequency that displays adequate information allowing the operator
to know the freq./kHz displayed on the screen? It has so many capabilities that to not learn them is seriously denying an operator of all of its' potential. Likewise, it has capabilities using the gold prospecting mode that I have seen only one detectorist use. The ability to track ground and lock that to prevent it from changing is only one of its' abilities.
Perhaps, Garrett will bring it back with a modern one. I own another metal detector; however, I will never sell my V3i.
Some may think it was only a 'Legend' in its' own time! Definition: 2. One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame: She is a legend in her own time.
Curious if there is anyone that has studied the technology/ability and has used the full potential of the V3i?

Leatherneck

Semper fidelis
Howdy Leatherneck--
I am with you! I had the original Vision detector and then the V3i and I have NO regrets. I doubt that I will ever employ ALL of the features of this detector but I have read the manuel and regularly visited the old Findmall V3i Forum. Between that forum, the manuel and trial and error I was able to make custom programs for for each of the types of detecting that I do. So esentually the detector is a turn on and go unit. Of course, the first adjustment that I made was to place the most frequently adjusted settings on my Live Screen - Discrimination, Filters, Sensitivity, Recovery Delay, Transmit Frequency, Bottle Cap Reject, TX Boost and Search Audio. That simple action makes ANY in the field adjustment fast and easy.
As you mentioned, the "Simultaneous multi-frequency that displays adequate information" is amazing! When one learns the VDI range of desirable targets AND their corrosponding dominant frequencys the amount of trash dug is greatly reduced and that saves time to dig the goodies. Another feature that I employ , especially when relic hunting is the ability to customize the Tone ID feature. That enables one to ascribe whatever tone or no audio tone one desires for individual VDI #'s and that maximizes depth while hunting in All Metal.
Bottom line - the beauty of the V3i is that it can be customized to the specific needs and style of the user. How can you beat that? Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I started with the "Vision" in the spring of 2009 and boy it was a handful of a detector. Later I acquired a Spectra V3 and really liked both of them. I have presently a V3i. But my opinion is the first two had greater sensitivity and detection depth vs. V3i. I have a SEF 6x8 DD coil which I really like for trashy areas. Overall one of the best detectors White's ever made.

TC-NM

The only programs I use is coin, coin & jewelry, and correlate (a modified C & J). I've used the others but, I gravitate to these three 👍. But mostly, it's the luck of the step 👍

It's too bad that at the beginning of "Vision" detector that they removed the capability of transferring program(s) with other detectorist who own Visions.

TC-NM

I started with the "Vision" in the spring of 2009 and boy it was a handful of a detector. Later I acquired a Spectra V3 and really liked both of them. I have presently a V3i. But my opinion is the first two had greater sensitivity and detection depth vs. V3i. I have a SEF 6x8 DD coil which I really like for trashy areas. Overall one of the best detectors White's ever made.

TC-NM
Howdy TC-NM--
I agree with you, The original Vision that I had had better depth than the V3i with the same coil and program. The problem that I had with the Vision was that after about a year or so of use, it started eating batteries. I could have a fully charged battery pack or brand new batteries in my back up packs and I was lucky to get a half an hour out of the pack. The same thing happened to my cordless headphones; a half an hour use with new batteries. I sent them back to Sweethome 3 times and they eventually replaced it with a new V3i and new headphones which I still use. I have all of the coils but my favorite is the 6X10 DD followed by the 9" Spyder coil and the 4x6 for heavy trash sites.

Hmmm, strange that your Vision had issues with power consumption. Mine ran A-OK with the AA battery pk. and with the rechargeable (orange label) battery pk. TC-NM

Hmmm, strange that your Vision had issues with power consumption. Mine ran A-OK with the AA battery pk. and with the rechargeable (orange label) battery pk. TC-NM
TC-NM, I loved that Vision -until it started acting up. I had dug a cuff eagle A button at 10+ inches with the D2 coil at my relic site. White's couldn't fix it. They had it 3 times for the same problem. Fortunately, I still had my DFX so I wasn't detectorless while it was in the shop. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting !
Blind Squirrel

I just picked up an used v3i. Been wanting to try one for forever, but apparently I will have to wait. The gentleman I bought it from hadn't used it in years. When I powered it on, and did some tests, all of the VDI numbers are coming in approximately 10 numbers too low... i.e.: a quarter hits at 72, a dime at 61, etc. and it shows the icons for those numbers. I have done a master reset, and tried the other coil the machine came with and it didn't make a difference. I'm assuming that it needs to be recalibrated? I'm calling today to set up a repair appointment. I'll feel better having it looked over regardless. Can't wait to log some hours with this beast!

I just picked up an used v3i. Been wanting to try one for forever, but apparently I will have to wait. The gentleman I bought it from hadn't used it in years. When I powered it on, and did some tests, all of the VDI numbers are coming in approximately 10 numbers too low... i.e.: a quarter hits at 72, a dime at 61, etc. and it shows the icons for those numbers. I have done a master reset, and tried the other coil the machine came with and it didn't make a difference. I'm assuming that it needs to be recalibrated? I'm calling today to set up a repair appointment. I'll feel better having it looked over regardless. Can't wait to log some hours with this beast!
Sounds like somebody already answered the questing during full reset and said yes to "Recalibrate", against the warning.

Leatherneck

Semper fidelis
This is good, I have a V3I and a mxsport. I am still learning this V3i. But, It sure is a teacher.

Hi mikezap, did you do the master reset to your detector yet? Just curious in what the VDI's were reading on coins compared to the old nos.

TC-NM

Alrighty I agree with everything said about the V3, it tells me not only what is in the ground but what size it is, every now and then I dig something that is a sketchy signal, because the machine says I’m not sure what it is but you might want to take a look. The enclosed pic tells it all, it’s gold with a lattice type design, rings up foilish/pull tab somewhat jumpy to the V3I it means dig. With this kind of sensitivity means emi is an issue, bummer, heck I might just keep mine.

Attachments

• 3703F6FC-CF04-4D69-B110-E564D5458D99.jpeg
    3703F6FC-CF04-4D69-B110-E564D5458D99.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 178
Alrighty I agree with everything said about the V3, it tells me not only what is in the ground but what size it is, every now and then I dig something that is a sketchy signal, because the machine says I’m not sure what it is but you might want to take a look. The enclosed pic tells it all, it’s gold with a lattice type design, rings up foilish/pull tab somewhat jumpy to the V3I it means dig. With this kind of sensitivity means emi is an issue, bummer, heck I might just keep mi
Excellent find, Coast! That's a very attractive piece of bling. That's a classic example of the finds that can be made by the V3i in the hands of a skilled user! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Last edited:
I too love my V3i.
Great at identifying targets.
Very programmable
I agree it’s a great learning machine.
So was the MXT for me anyway.
That being said IMO both the Equinox and the Deaus surpass it in depth, speed , and ease of use.
Haven’t been able to bring myself to sell it yet though. Have almost all the coils and if you like even more weight the Sun Ray probe.
No doubt a great detector!

I too love my V3i.
Great at identifying targets.
Very programmable
I agree it’s a great learning machine.
So was the MXT for me anyway.
That being said IMO both the Equinox and the Deaus surpass it in depth, speed , and ease of use.
Haven’t been able to bring myself to sell it yet though. Have almost all the coils and if you like even more weight the Sun Ray probe.
No doubt a great detector!
"That being said IMO both the Equinox and the Deaus surpass it in depth"

Really? The V3i goes very deep, with the proper coil.