Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites TDI as my back up detector?

Thegreat26

Firstly hello to everybody. this is my 1st post here!!
Recently i noticed whites tdi and i was really impressed. For me it is an affordable gpx 4500 with much more features like discrimination.
I am detecting with a minelab explorer 2 for 6 years already and a 15 wot coil. With very nice findings. What i am thinking is buying a tdi as my backup detector. What i mean. For sure most of the findings that my explorer will not find will be possibly coins and very old perhaps. Then i will use my tdi in the hope that i will go deeper with no discrimination no nothing just pure pulse power. Tell me your ideas because until now i was the vlf type of detectorist. (in my country very few pulse detectors exist thats why i think that the tdi will give me an advantage)

please any help would be much appreciated

In the gold fields the TDI will be better than the explorer in the iron mineralisation; at the beach I doubt that there would be much difference in the depth capability of these two machines when you are using the 15 inch WOT on the explorer. At the beach the TDI might handle black sand better than the Explorer.
Just my opinion. I am going by hearsay and my own exp with PI machines at the beach where the TDI is concerned.

Cheers,
Adrian SS

basically i am interested in the open fields and very occasionally in beach hunting. About gold fields we do not have here. So my guessing for an advantage with a pi machine is just a guessing. i was expecting about finding coins at least 40 to 50 cm with tdi.

very good in the feilds. not so much on a salt water beach. I dont put my XLT anywhere near water, too many bad things can happen. I think if you are going to hunt near water you should use a detector designed for water.

just my humble opinion

what model where you thinking of getting?

i was thinking about the tdi but from the advices given to me im not sure anymore

but again with no discrimination on tdi's settings it is supposed to go deeper than an explorer

If i had the money i would buy a TDI looks like a incredible machine

You make a good point, that "with no discrimination, it goes deeper than the explorer".

Your statment has oodles of implications, suppositions, etc.... For starters, it implies that you're talking obviously about the Explorer in disc. mode, which ...... for coin/relic hunting, has attained quite a following over recent years, for its ability at good TIDS at depth. Like, for a good park/turf, machine, for instance.

And your statment also implies that if someone tried to use the TDI's disc. ability to tell high vs. lows vs iron, that they might just find themselves at the same depth as the fabled Explorer, right? Therefore, why even switch away from the explorer, to begin with, if disc. is going to be needed? Doh!

I would agree with both those implications to your question. There is indeed going to be some depth loss when you go off-balance, to get an idea of high vs low vs. iron. And yes, you will go the deepest, when you forsake those options.

But I think it's not necessarily a "plus" to say you can go deeper when you forsake discrimination though. Because, heck, the same thing could've been said about a variety of machine, for several decades now. Even the old all-metal VLF disc. (first seen in the mid-1970s) could be said to "do deeper than the explorer". But what good does that do anyone, except for out on the open clean beach? I mean, so too could you simply go out and use any existing pulse machine, and sure: Pull coins up at a foot deep. You don't even need the TDI to do that. The old Whites pulse machines could do that, and they too offered no disc.

tom i have to admit that this is the most detailed answer i could get. Thank you because it seems that you are right on whatever you say. I have to think about it better