Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites TDI - Tips from the field

Digger Bob

Hi all.

Here's some prospecting tips on the new Whites TDI that I posted on one of the other forums. I thought there might be some interest here as well. If nothing else, maybe it'll liven things up here a little.

I know there are a lot of East-coasters here and many are also coin and relic hunters. This machine is proving to have some unique advantages in those areas as well. But for now, here's some advice on using it for nuggets. I'll try to get the pictures up later.

Digger Bob

TIPS FROM THE FIELD:

Here are some things I have learned so far on how to get the best out of this machine for prospecting. I have no knowledge of coin or beach hunting with the TDI. This is primarily a prospecting detector and if I want to go coin hunting, I

Hi Digger,

That is good stuff to have for FUTURE reference, if and when Whites getting the new machines
out to the dealers in the hinterlands.

I have not idea what's going on, but the dealers in our Idaho area don't even know what a TDI is...

A long time back, I told my dealer to put me on his purchase list for a TDI, but that was then and there has been so much time
and Whites dragging their feet, and sending the units out to other places, that now I have told my dealer to bag
my order. It would be a backup machine to my 4000 anyway.

Have a good day!

~LARGO~

I have a friend in Montana that is a dealer and he just got one. Send a PM to Allen in MT. I went to Whites web site and they do not have any info on it yet. AMDS in Alaska has had some luck at Moore cr with it this year.

Good to see one of the new comers making it to the fields. Thanks.

I think the only way this forum will return to life is if Doc comes back....

Alan

[attachment 98522 IMG_6434_1.JPG]

Gold in the hole.

Yep, it's been a long time coming, I know only too well. When we first started on this project 2 years ago, we anticipated we'd have it out there within a year. After all, the basic research had already been done. It just needed a little "tweaking" to make it more user freindly. As we got further and further into the field testing, we kept coming up with a lot of " Can we do this instead? It needs more of that. What would happen if...?" And the prototypes were spread all over with input coming from vastly different fields. I was doing the prospecting research, someone else the beach hunting, and someone else the relics. We soon realized this machine had much more capability than any of us initially thought. Every one wanted something that would satisfy the needs of THEIR particular hunting styles. AND we wanted to get it right the first time. We knew what this would be judged against and it had to be as good as we could get it with the technology available at the time.
So, after all that, we finally got down to where we are now. Which is this; Only 200 units have been built, by hand. These have gone out to selected dealers with experience to be sold face to face with hands on instruction. This is a very different kind of detector with some unusual characteristics. Without knowing what to expect, one would quickly give up and start bad mouthing it all over the internet.
There are some excellant web sites that have sprung up to help the newcomer. Here is a link to one if anyone wants more information on how it works.

http://tdi.invisionplus.net/index.php?mforum=tdi&showforum=3

By the end of the month we are hoping to be up and running full strength and units will be available to everyone. There may be some minor modifications based on some of the feedback from those first 200 that went out into the field.

And just so you know, I'm not giving up my 3500 either. But this is an excellant alternative for those who want to get their feet wet with a good brand name Pulse machine without breaking into their 401K. It has lots of advantages over the big Minelabs and only a few drawbacks. I'll try to post those pictures tonight.

Digger Bob

Here's the three I got last weekend. Note how sensitive it is for those two little ones to be heard with the stock 12" loop. Also, any Minelab, Coiltek, or Nuggetfinder loop will work on this machine.

Digger

Hi Digger,

Looks like you are getting a pretty good handle on using the new TDI.

As you commented about the ease with which the controls can be bumped, I think that Whites may reluctantly have to take a lesson from Minelab on putting their controls in a more protected/recessed area. Whites earlier coin machines had such controls in a recessed situation, and I would think that they should seriously consider revisiting such a setup.

I can just see all you guys sitting around the conference table giving your feedback to the Whites big dogs, and when it came the discussion about going to a more protected place for the TDI controls, Big dog says, "well you know we got a real good deal on those boxes we are using now, since we got a hundred million of them pretty cheap, about 30 years back, and the warehouse still has fifty million left, and I can't see dumping them all now for scrap..."

I guess you know who will win that discussion...not the field testers, although I would wager that their secret collective thinking on the subject would be in the neighborhood of 100% for the recessed/protected dials/switches.

I won't rule out a TDI completly based on what you are saying about your successes, but I do think that that down the road not too far, Whites should seriously consider re-engineering their control box arrangement to a more user friendly situation.

Maybe see you later on down at the Patch...

~LARGO~

I have the Minelab explorer XS And the ML 8" coil for it---Will this coil work on the TDI or do they have to be gold machine coils? Bob:shrug::usan:

Nope, sorry. Only the loops designed for the SD and GP gold machines will work. Your Explorer is not a PI machine so all those electronic do-dads inside are not compatible.

Digger