Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

White's TRX or Garrett's carrot?

gabbyhayes

I'm thinking about buying a new pinpointer as my original Garrett's propointer is almost worn out. The vibration is getting mild.
Not sure whether to go with either the TRX or the carrot??
If someone has tried or owns both, I would sure appreciate your comments.
I'm sure there are pros and cons to both and I know the carrot is waterproof, but wondering if there are preferences and why?
Thanx in advance.

Have only owned the TRX which is now Waterproof not water resistant as when it first came out.
If you are a clad shooter like myself and pop coins with a prob, you want the TRX for its excellent depth (Quarter at 4" in the ground). If you do more relic and dig big deep holes you will probably not like the TRX as it does not have good side detection which you are probably very used to from your old Garrett.
If you have ever said to yourself, DAMMIT, I wish this thing could detect deeper, then maybe the TRX is for you.
Some people get annoyed with the TRX, if you hold it in your left hand while swinging (with it on) it is going to pick up your keys and your digger if you wear that on your left side.. It pick up big thing from 12" or more.. like when you drop in on the ground next to your MD.
Hope that helps

I carry both the Carrot and the TRX in hunts. IMPO, the TRX as a standalone pointer slows me down due to no side detection. My Carrot gets used 10x more times in a hunt than the TRX. TRX is great for pre-dig for the initial scoop. Then the Carrot goes into action, especially once the target is out of the hole. The Carrot would be my choice if carrying just one, or the Deteknix X-Pointer.

Bought my 1st pointer last year, the x-Pointer,I would say it will pick up a dime @ 4'' happy with the battery life, Good investment for me under $90.00.-----------after1---------

I've owned the original Garrett, the trx, the deteknix x Pinter, and now the Garrett at pp. Hands down the Garrett carrot is the best for my personal style of hunting which is deep woods, trashy home sites, and old parks. Helps keep my plugs very nice and small even when digging deep 8-12" holes. Add the best service in the md industry and it's a keeper.

I have not tried any pin pointer but Garrett. Have two of the standard pro pointers. Decided that I wanted the new At PP and can not say enough good things about it. It allows me to cut much smaller plugs than what I had to do before since I can try the three different sensitivities to narrow down exactly where the target is located.

Also you can Not beat Garretts customer service if perchance you should ever need to have one of their products repaired.

After much deliberation , I decided to go with the TRX.
It was about $20 more, and part of my reason was that I have always used Garrett's propointers in the past, so this time I'm gotta try the competition.
As they say you'll never know unless you try.
I suppose if I really don't care for it I'll buy the carrot and be able to decide for myself which one I prefer.
From what I garnered here and elsewhere, I think they are both excellent propointers, but it comes down to the Chevy/Ford debate.
Thanks for everyone's input.

CopyTech99 said:
^^^^ It is pretty much tip only detection.... unlike the Garretts.

Personally I like this feature. I do not like the Garrett side detection. For me though I had to go with the Garrett because the TRX was not loud enough. I also liked the Pistol Probe but it was a long way from being loud enough.

daddyflea said:
CopyTech99 said:
^^^^ It is pretty much tip only detection.... unlike the Garretts.

Personally I like this feature. I do not like the Garrett side detection. For me though I had to go with the Garrett because the TRX was not loud enough. I also liked the Pistol Probe but it was a long way from being loud enough.

AMEN on both comments.

gabbyhayes said:
After much deliberation , I decided to go with the TRX.
It was about $20 more, and part of my reason was that I have always used Garrett's propointers in the past, so this time I'm gotta try the competition.
As they say you'll never know unless you try.
I suppose if I really don't care for it I'll buy the carrot and be able to decide for myself which one I prefer.
From what I garnered here and elsewhere, I think they are both excellent propointers, but it comes down to the Chevy/Ford debate.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Smart choice. The garrett is a joke, the TRX points downwards, deeper AND can ground balance allowing you to find the exact location of the target. Literally the exact location. It also tells you when your close. After 14 months it still works, the garrett went faulty after about 8 months.

Thanx for the vote of confidence. It'll be here right after the weekend, so I'll be able to try it out for myself.
I actually saw some information that explained how the pinpointer does side detection in a hole.
Something about a dead spot???

I have the carrot and TRX. Like them both but tend to use the TRX more for surface pin-pointing. Use the carrot for scanning the dirt after it is out of the hole.

I have had the Garrett and like Gabby I'm giving the TRX a go this time. I must say I now prefer the tip only TRX pinpointing more than the whole tip and sides (Garrett) for faster location of target in the hole. Seems like the Garrett always sounded off when the target was in the side wall of the hole and you think it is still deeper down and keep digging when not needed. The TRX is tip detecting and has the ratchet down button to quickly pinpoint the location of the target. Both TRX and Carrot are waterproof to 10 feet so not losing anything there. However, the TRX kicks tail on target distance with its four sensitivity modes.

I had the original Garrett Pro pointer, it made it through one season, I replaced it with the Pro Pointer II , it is in its 3rd month and the on/off button only wants to work half the time. I end up whacking it across my knee and then it wants to work ok for awhile. I think I have bought my last Garrett PP.

For those using the Garrett carrot, have you had falsing when putting pressure on the tip or the side when probing? Still trying to decide between the Carrot and the Whites TRX.

carrot is heaps better than the old black garret lucky dip. still not perfect might try the whites one day.

clear shrink wrap working well accept for the sharp end but I will figure that out for the next wrap.

helps keep dirt out of the switch I recon that's where a lot of the falsing comes from like OregonGregg was saying I know all about the pin pointer bashing think I run my last black one over in the car :punch:

AJ

050.jpg