Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Whites TRX

amberjack

I have a bone to pick with Whites that I didn't spot in any reviews is that the vibrate mode starts with a loud beep and ends with a even louder one sort of defeats the idea doesn't it of being in stealth mode , so I had a look thought I would snip a wire from a speaker and its pezzo and not sure where the vibrate is coming from if I take the pezzo out is that the vibrate also??

seriously who designs this stuff ??

not a happy camper :punch:

AJ

Have you tried electrical tape (a few passes) over the speaker hole? That's what I did to my pro pointer, gets it pretty muffled.

yeah did that and stuffed some cotton martial inside as well still loud, guess I either put up with it or sell it off only 2 things I can think off atm.

thanks!!

AJ

:lmfao: I have good hearing I guess.

but my point is why do that ?? put a beep in vibrate mode ? I wonder sometimes if its just lazy or plain incompetence, if I want to use vibrate probably means I don't want beeping for what ever reason??

sorry yours are not loud enough.

AJ

amberjack said:

but my point is why do that ?? put a beep in vibrate mode ? I wonder sometimes if its just lazy or plain incompetence, if I want to use vibrate probably means I don't want beeping for what ever reason??

AJ
I swear, Amberjack. One o' these days you're gonna find an instrument you're completely happy with!:rofl:

yeah maybe slingshot but I am not holding my breath :lmfao: I don't know why I cant add the good features of all items in to one :shrug: probably because I would need a 30 or 40 year history of experience in electronics , that's probably why :biggrin:

anyway I haven't even got the TRX out of the car its a virgin at this point want to use it for jewellery hunting over the cooler months so its not off to a flying start is it :rofl:

if it does what I want it too I will forgive this misdemeanour, fingers crossed hey :biggrin:

AJ

amberjack said:

AJ

"if I want to use vibrate probably means I don't want beeping for what ever reason?"

It's not difficult to set it to just vibrate, removing the beep altogether. I like the mix of tone plus vibrate. It's a grabber of my attention. Either one alone won't do it for me in the field, with any ambient noise. Vibrate is weak for me on first detection unless it's shallow. Tone is weak also, compared to my old black Garretts Propointer, or my my X-Pointer. Now, if I was to remove my HPs, the TRX would suffice in tone volume, moderately though. I've read many TRX users state the same thing.

I want to hear that first single beep solidly and feel it too. Kinda like the report from a rattle snake. I'd use a "turbo boost" feature to add a biger alert if it had that feature. I have pretty good hearing considering I was raised during the 60s too.

To each their own.

My Garrett has been acting up so I decided to give the TRX a try. Another forum member had one listed for sale so I bought it a few weeks ago. When using it the pin pointer starts beeping and won't stop until you push the button and reset it. I called White's last week and was told some are more sensitive than others and to try it at a lower setting. I tried it at 2 then 1 and got the same results so I called White's this past Monday and was switched to voicemail. Left a message explaining the problem and asked if someone would please call me back about sending it in to have it checked out. It's now Friday with no return call so I called again this morning and was switched to voicemail again. Left another message and haven't received a call. Seriously thinking about tossing it in the trash and marking this one down as a loss. I purchased a V3I a few months ago and really like it but if this is how their customer service responds to problems maybe I should sell it and stick with my Deus.

Update. Received a call from Whites later in the day on 4-28-17 and was told to send it in and have it checked out. Just received it back yesterday and it looks like they sent me a replacement. Will hopefully be able to get out this weekend and try it out. Thank you Matt at Whites for taking care of me on this.

Regarding; Normally Working TRX

A person needs the "beep" to indicate ON/OFF. So, when the "vibrate only" mode is selected, you hear one beep when turned on, and one beep when turned off. However, during use, no beep, only vibrate to indicate a metal target.

Some misunderstand, display back lights, vibrate modes, headlights, are designed for searching after dark, for not having to remove your headphones, or for those with hearing difficulties... that's it. No reputable (in it for the long term) manufacture will ever intentionally offer features specific for stealth hunting as that can be construed as facilitating night hawking.

A metal detector designer / manufacture construed as intentionally / actively facilitating night hawking would be horrible (long term) for the industry and hobby. Law makers already dismiss metal detector manufacturer's efforts to keep areas open to metal detecting as strictly 'for profit" efforts... I have testified about it in court and heard it first hand, "manufactures only want laws favorable to metal detecting so they can sell more metal detectors". If they can construe a manufacture as supporting or promoting night hawking, it places the entire industry / hobby / profession in a unfavorable light, as well as gives credibility / justification to laws prohibiting metal detecting from many areas. Night hawking is really bad for the metal detecting industry as a whole, and especially bad for the manufactures.

If one is looking for truly stealth searching a person will certainly have to modify their equipment. Manufactures can not allow the perception they support stealth searching as it plays into the hands (provides significant reasoning) of some law makers who want to outlaw metal detecting.

Howard