Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why aren't they all waterproof?

atomicscott

I'm well aware that there are only a few coils available for the X-Terra's that are waterproof. My question is: WHY?? Every other detector brand has waterproof coils. Even my $200 Fisher F2 coil can be submersed in the water. I'm really interested in purchasing the 10.5 DD MF coil, but I'm very disappointed that I would not be able to hunt with it in (even very shallow) water. There is no other option for an MF coil unless it's a concentric. Is there some reason that every other manufacturer can make a larger DD coil that is waterproof but Minelab cannot? So I can pay $142 for a WATERPROOF 6" HF DD coil, or I can pay $200 for the 10x5" DD HF that is NOT WATERPROOF. I love my X Terra, but when someone asks me if there is anything I DONT like about it, the only thing I can come up with is the fact that the bigger DD coils aren't waterproof. If Minelab doesn't care enough to make waterproof coils like EVERY other manufacturer, they should at least throw in a free lower rod to make switching a bit less troublesome! Come on, Minelab with the best detecting technology available, can't we get on board and make ALL the coils waterproof? It can't be that difficult. Anybody else feel this way?

First of all, of the 12 authorized coils available for the Xterra, only 4 are not waterproof.
Beyond that, comparing the Xterra coils to anything else but the CTX coils is impossible, because no others actually have electronics IN the coil.

And if you really want something to whine about, go buy a GPX. Then find out that none of the coils available for your new $5k machine are waterproof.

Take a look at Minelab's coil selection for all of their detectors.
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf.

They are really such good detectors that it's not a huge factor to me, it just seems (even with the electronics in the coil) they could make them ALL waterproof to give the customer the versatility of using the excellent different coils available in all environments. If they can make a small round DD with internal electronics, why would they not be able to make a large, round DD coil waterproof as well? It would be interesting find the school of thought behind the idea of having some coils waterproof but not others, it just seems strange to me.

I'm sure that they could, but external pressures from submersion and such things have to be considered. In trying to keep weight down it may have been a lot easier to make it the way that they did. Coiltek used an entirely different approach to their big coils, and they are still heavier.

Really, there's nothing to keep you from effectively waterproofing your own coil by one of several means if it's that important.

Personally, I have a dedicated water machine, and it has a 10" concentric coil. In the water that's all you really need, and the 9" coils are all waterproof.

Longhair, I have thought about DIY waterproofing. I would most likely do a plastic 'solder' and melt the seam together, so it looks similar to the 6" concentric. The scary part is the testing phase! I think I'm ready to try the 18.75khz 6" round DD coil though. It's waterproof and should rock on the small gold jewelry when I finally take it to the ocean, also it can do double duty in the gold districts for nugget shooting in the desert and rivers. I've heard the depth is about the same as the 10 x 5 DD.

Perhaps it has something to do with coil weight and production technique?
I'm thinking the waterproof coils are epoxy filled and this adds to the weight?
My hunch for a coil to be waterproof it must be designed to be so from the start. Probably a bit more to it than reaching for the silicone sealer. Probably why most things that go in the water regularly have maximum depth indications. Water pressure and all that...
Thanks for asking this question, as I wonder about that too.
I just noticed the Digger coil is technically not waterproof also. I don't think it matters unless you have it submerged though.

It's the pressures of being submerged that are the issue.
To be considered "waterproof" it must be able to withstand being at a depth of 1 meter for sustained periods.
Water resistant coils can tolerate being hosed off, wet grass, and the occasional wave splash w/o any problem.