Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why buy a Sovereign GT over a Safari.?

David

I just recently saw that a new Safari(FBS & $999) is $50 less expensive than a new Sovereign GT(BBS & $1049).

I know that the Sovereign GT can be hipmounted, has true auto tracking ground balance in all metal only, and has an add-on meter for extra cost.

But otherwise is a Safari a better choice.?? And for what reason(s) why did you or would someone buy a more expensive new Sovereign GT over and instead of a new Safari which has a good built-in meter.??

It depends on where you are wanting to use them. You just dont need a meter on the beach. You dont have as many tones to deal with so you arent second guessing yourself. On the beach you dont need a reason NOT to dig a target so there isnt as much thought going into it. In a trashy park you need all the tools you can get to ID targets in mineralized soil. I say keep it simple.... the Sov is simple with great depth and few tones to deal with and as you mentioned can be made lighter.

Dew

A friend of mine owned a Safari for a while. The Safari has a rather slow ID display which lags behind the machine. The Sovereign's ID is more instant in that you will instantly see what you hear in the VDI. From what I've read the Safari isn't as deep as the Explorer. In my soil my Explorers weren't as deep as my GT. Do a search in this forum for "Safari" as I remember a while back there was discussion on this topic. I personaly would buy a used Explorer II over a brand new Safari if I wanted to go the digital display route and an FBS machine.

Also, not only can you hip mount the GT but even if it's not hip mounted the balance is better than it was when I used my friend's Safari. Also, you can chest mount the GT control box and do some water hunting.

Again, if I were looking to buy a computer display FBS detector I would opt for a used Explorer over a Safari. It would cost you less yet you get so much more with it and as said it's deeper. For example, I read the official field test of the SEF coils and they found the Explorer was deeper than the Safari when comparing targets.

David said:
I just recently saw that a new Safari(FBS & $999) is $50 less expensive than a new Sovereign GT(BBS & $1049).

I know that the Sovereign GT can be hipmounted, has true auto tracking ground balance in all metal only, and has an add-on meter for extra cost.

But otherwise is a Safari a better choice.?? And for what reason(s) why did you or would someone buy a more expensive new Sovereign GT over and instead of a new Safari which has a good built-in meter.??

You would do yourself some good by posting this over on the safari forum. You would also help your questions if you described what type of hunting you plan on doing with it.
Ive never used a Safari but have used the Explorers and Etracs and those offer up some distinct advantages over the Sov.
A meter can be a plus on the beach and I dont think minelab makes the meter for the Sovs anymore, you would have to find a used one.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

This one deep seeking machine without the fuss. Simple knob adjustments and power to boot. There is some great accessory coils for this model . I have the W.O.T , and the s-5 intruder 5" coil ( favorite for parks ) and the great standard 10" tornado.

No cofusing screens /icons to figure out . What makes the sovereign graet are simple tone responses , i dont use a meter , it is unneccary in my opinion.
This metal detecting 101 , learning audio responses more than target " blips "

It is a great all purpose machine for many hunting areas.

It is a popular machine for a reason ...... :jump: :minelab: :bouncy: