Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why Do My Coins Look Like Crud ???

ferdware

Well I am just curious about my clad finds. So far I have not found alot, but about 90% of what I have found are very curroded or sand has almost formed a rock around it. All the pics I see of peoples clad finds. The money looks spendable. What is going on ?? Im guessing that I am just finding was has been lost for a while.
The most I have found at a single beach hunt was $2.59 at 3.5 hours of looking. I know, not much hu? I keep hitting different beach access areas (In about a 35 mile span) to see what happens. Im determined to find a good area.
Allthough I have only run into one other detectorist. I feel there may be alot of competition here.

FERD

In most cases it's pretty simple. Coins are metal, and therefore subject to corrosive effects. Some soils are alkali, some are full of salts, but all of them corrode coins.
There are a few video's on youtube on how to clean them up if you feel like spending the time to find them. Most of my coins are tarnished, but it never bothers me, I just get excited to find them :)

Ha! My coins look like crud too :) I, like Aurium, could care less, I am just happy to be finding them. We bought a rock tumbler and started using that - works great and the coins come out pretty good.

Nugget :biggrin:

My clad finds look like crud, too, if they've been in the ground long at all. The zinc pennies are often rotted away such that they're no longer usable. Silver coins look great, though. :) . Btw, the rock tumbler works great on clad coins -- just don't use it on your silver!

Modern clad coins turn to crud in a very short time, even away from a salt beach. The good thing is that they clean up pretty easily. There are probably a thousand recipes for cleaning clad in a tumbler, but here is the one I have discovered that seems to work well:

Fill your tumbler about half full of aquarium gravel. Add a handfull of clad coins (be sure you don't mix pennies and silver clad in the same load or your silver will come out copper plated!) then add an about two ounces of white distilled vinegar, a dash of hand soap, and enough water to just cover your coins (at this point your tumbler should be about 5/8 to 3/4 full). Then - and VERY important - you need to add some ammonia to keep the gasses generated during the cleaning process from blowing the lid off your tumbler. I used to use about an ounce of ammonia but finally discovered that it doesn't take that much - in fact, I now just give about 8 or 10 squirts of WINDEX (which is basically a weak solution of ammonia) to my tumber barrel before putting the lid on and tumbling the mix. Some people add a bit of table salt to the mix to speed up the chemical reaction, but I haven't had much luck with salt added. It will take about 3 or 4 hours of tumbling to get your clad looking like it just came from the mint - provided you don't put too much in one load. If you put too much even doubling the tumbling time won't get it completely clean. When you feel the coins have tumbled long enough dump the mixture into a strainer and run clean water over it to rinse very well. I use an old collander I stole from my wife (I bought her a new one). Then pick out your coins from the gravel and put them on a towel to dry - or better yet, dry them on some soft cloth in the sun.

I DO clean my silver the same way - and even throw silver rings, bracelets, etc., right in there with the clad coins. BUT I'm not talking about cleaning a 1916 D dime that way - in fact, if you have a potentially valuable coin, you shouldn't tumble it at all - just wash it in water and DON'T scrub - even with a soft cloth.

Pennies will come clean with the same recipe and in fact take a little less time to become "showroom" fresh. Modern zinc pennies, though, especially if found on the beach, are often not salvagable. Collect enough of them, put in a jar and tata! you have a nice door stop.:rofl:

Now, what I need is a tumbler to repair those coins the lawn mowers have had their fun with. (After about a dozen years of detecting, I have more than a gallon of these). I tried hammering them back into shape and rolling them up, but found that if those automatic coin counters that the banks use kicks out more than one or two in a roll, they're not going to take them. And your UNCLE will not replace them like they used to. (Remember the days that the banks would repace your torn dollar with a new one as long as you had more than half of the torn dollar - try it today.)

The FED/MINT will take those damaged coins back - but they basically pay you scrap metal rates - and you have to pay shipping to them.:ranting: I find it annoying that a country like Mexico can strike base metal coins that still look good after years on the beach, but ours look like crud in a few weeks. Oh well....

Thats an interesting recipe gilfordberry. I completely agree with you on the quality of the coins, it's a very telling prospect that the quality of our nation is reflected in the quality of our coins.

I'll refrain from politicizing the forum. After all lets get out and swing those coils!! (picked up a nice pocketful of clad last night) I think I'm going to have to invest in a tumbler someday. I'm such a hoarder though, I've got three gallon bags of clad sitting around that I need to clean someday.