Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why I love colonial cellar holes! And my new GoPro Drone:wink:

Hi Friends!! I took my new drone and gopro, and we hit an awesome colonial cellar hole and colonial field.....amazing finds!! I thank you so much for coming along!!
P.S. short, ad-free video, as always
Happy Hunting!!

https://youtu.be/PwSTgnB06T8

So do you figure the Kennedy half was planted as part of a competition hunt? That's not really a coin people have generally carried around with them so it seems weird for it to end up in that field.

The corn is just barely up and has a long way to go, but it grows fast - we have a saying around here . . . "Knee high by the 4th of July". :thumbup:

How many hours can you guys swing your Whites before your arms start to get sore? I tend to get a bit of tendinitis so I separated my MXT into two parts using an old hip-mount rod and grip from my old blue-box. So I carry the control box in my left hand and swing with the right. There's the added advantage of being able to hold the display still while analyzing a target. In the MXT forum there is a pic under the topic name "Frankenstein MXT".

H.H.

-pete

Hi!
I don't think they ever held a competition hunt in those fields...at least the farmer didn't say that anyone has ever been there. I think a hunter might have dropped it. We found big silver at the edge of those fields before, and it's the only thing that would make sense....
We don't have a problem swinging the Whites. I swing the VX3 for an easy 8-10 hours w/ very little break time, and Mark does the same with the MXT. I think it's very cool the way you modified yours!! Love how the control box is separated! very clever.
The corn is definitely going to grow fast, especially with all the recent sun and rain we have had. Right now it is still perfectly swingable, but after it's knee high we switch over to the hayfields plus our private residences.

Thank you very much for watchig & happy hunting with your Frankenstein!! I love it!!

PSS1963 said:
So do you figure the Kennedy half was planted as part of a competition hunt? That's not really a coin people have generally carried around with them so it seems weird for it to end up in that field.

The corn is just barely up and has a long way to go, but it grows fast - we have a saying around here . . . "Knee high by the 4th of July". :thumbup:

How many hours can you guys swing your Whites before your arms start to get sore? I tend to get a bit of tendinitis so I separated my MXT into two parts using an old hip-mount rod and grip from my old blue-box. So I carry the control box in my left hand and swing with the right. There's the added advantage of being able to hold the display still while analyzing a target. In the MXT forum there is a pic under the topic name "Frankenstein MXT".

H.H.

-pete

What accounts for so many buttons being found on old sites. I know they were metal back then, and so their detectable.
But in todays world one very rarely finds any type of buttons on sites. Even though most are plastic it would seem buttons would still turn up while digging other targets..

Were they poorly sewn on ??... Was the terrain responsible for buttons being ripped off.... I'm just curious ..

Another great video.. Drone shots are awesome.and I'm sure will be a wonderful tool for locating sites in remote areas ..

Thank you! I believe the buttons were simply poorly fastened and people worked physically very hard around the house...building walls, maintaning the grounds, planting & harvesting - things were all done manually and without the sophisticated machines we have nowadays...
sometimes it still stumps me, though, like we recently found about 25 buttons (very old - going back to the 1700s) in one area in the middle of a remote cornfield. That was definitely very odd....

Thank you very much for watching and I am glad my Drone survived its first outing :)

Elton said:
What accounts for so many buttons being found on old sites. I know they were metal back then, and so their detectable.
But in todays world one very rarely finds any type of buttons on sites. Even though most are plastic it would seem buttons would still turn up while digging other targets..

Were they poorly sewn on ??... Was the terrain responsible for buttons being ripped off.... I'm just curious ..

Another great video.. Drone shots are awesome.and I'm sure will be a wonderful tool for locating sites in remote areas ..

Elton said:

Your question sparked a memory of something I haven't thought about in years . . .

Back in the early 90's I was putting up a fence around my back yard because I had two small kids and they needed a safe place to play. My house was built on land that was used as a dump in the early 1900's, so any hole we dug more than a foot or so down would turn up old bottles and other things. I was working a hole with the post hole digger and up came a load of dirt that was about half buttons! There was dozens and dozens of them - maybe a hundred! Not sure if they were plastic but they were definitely non-metallic. It seems that somebody had thrown out a spare button stash (probably in a cloth bag) and my post hole just happended to intersect that precise spot! The dirt from the hole ended up on the compost pile and from there it found its way into various gardens around the property so I was finding buttons in the gardens for the next 20 years! :look: :rofl:

-pete

WOW - what a story!! I bet you're right - somebody dumped a whole bag full of buttons! Can't believe your post went in at that exact spot! VERY cool story, thank you for sharing!! It's a rainy dreary Tuesday here & I'm at work, so your comment brought a much-needed smile!

PSS1963 said:
Elton said:

Your question sparked a memory of something I haven't thought about in years . . .

Back in the early 90's I was putting up a fence around my back yard because I had two small kids and they needed a safe place to play. My house was built on land that was used as a dump in the early 1900's, so any hole we dug more than a foot or so down would turn up old bottles and other things. I was working a hole with the post hole digger and up came a load of dirt that was about half buttons! There was dozens and dozens of them - maybe a hundred! Not sure if they were plastic but they were definitely non-metallic. It seems that somebody had thrown out a spare button stash (probably in a cloth bag) and my post hole just happended to intersect that precise spot! The dirt from the hole ended up on the compost pile and from there it found its way into various gardens around the property so I was finding buttons in the gardens for the next 20 years! :look: :rofl:

-pete

Thanks, Harold!! we had so much fun on that hunt - finding old copper (and silver) coins NEVER gets old...

The button you dug that you could not identify is a Phoenix Button (the bird is the phoenix fire bird). Those were made for the King of Haiti in the early 1800's. The number on it is for regiment identification. Those are mostly found on the west coast in Washington, Oregon and California although I have heard of at least 4 being found on the east coast with yours being number 5. I mainly find those at mission era sites here in California.

Those are some great old coin finds dug in your video.

El

WOW, El, thank you SO MUCH for this detailed information! How nice of you! That's just so awesome - now I am even more excited about the button. I feel so lucky to live where we live, in such an old area w/ lots of locations to explore :). Thank you so much for watching & commenting! I wish you a happy weekend & happy hunting!!
-Dom

El said:
The button you dug that you could not identify is a Phoenix Button (the bird is the phoenix fire bird). Those were made for the King of Haiti in the early 1800's. The number on it is for regiment identification. Those are mostly found on the west coast in Washington, Oregon and California although I have heard of at least 4 being found on the east coast with yours being number 5. I mainly find those at mission era sites here in California.

Those are some great old coin finds dug in your video.

El

Dom, let me the number on the button (I couldn't quite make it out, looked like a 9) and I'll let you know the regiment it belongs too.

El

Hi El - aargh - number SO HARD to see, but I am seeing a 9 also (?) You're awesome - thank you for your help! Hope you are having a great weekend!!
Dom

El said:
Dom, let me the number on the button (I couldn't quite make it out, looked like a 9) and I'll let you know the regiment it belongs too.

El

Thank you SO MUCH!! Now I am EVEN MORE excited about that button, if that were possible :)

Happy hunting to you!!

El said:
No. 9: Port de Paix Regiment.

HH,

El