Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why is my beach detecting so unproductive?

madaboutmike

I'm not competant at beach detecting but I'd like to improve. I finally got to detect the beach in Middletown, the neighbor of Newport, the playground of the rich. I hit First and second Beaches which run into each other. I had the place to myself. There were 2 beach volley ball nets in front of a shore restaraunt. Only found one wheatie 8" down. There were grooves in the sand and thus suspect both beaches had been groomed. It was a very low tide and I detected especially around the weed line. The high tide line is clearly evident by a contiguous line of clam shells bordering the wet and dry sand. The low tide sand is rippled and hard - I searched ripples and grooves. This is not a trashy beach. There are beach cabanas the well heeled can rent, change, take a swim, walk up and sit on the decks and enjoy their coctails. I searched this area carefully. I don't have a sand scoop -I dig and stick the sand in a .99 cent colender - this allows stick in a probe. Scooping and digging isn't my problem.

I set on 'salt', started on high gain, even reduced the gain, set the threshold to a steady hum. I didn't get skunked - found some loose change and even a spent Nicad bettery 6" down but I wonder if groomed beaches are cleaned out before the MD're can get to them. On the other hand, maybe I'm not using my head. On the return trip back home, I noticed a public park. And I know another park near the Newport mansions. Maybe I should concentrate there. Rhode Islanders don't seem to be loosey-goosey with their money! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. mike

When I got married 30 years ago it was COLD (Kansas in November).....
My new wife's diamond ring slid off of her finger & as luck it was the ring fell into our opened trunk.....
Now to make a short story, as your fingers get COLD your fingers SHRINK enough that rings can fall off....
So, make a trip to the beach at LOW tide & where you have a strong wind (Northerner) pushing out the tide....
When folks happen to go swimming in COLD water the rings could fall off..... :)

NOT YOUR FAULT that those beaches up there ARE unproductive. THEY have been picked clean over the years. I was detecting them from 1977-1981 while I was stationed in New England in the Navy, all summer long. Then the sand has probably been replaced countless times. Then the storms over the years have pulled alot of what wasn't found out to sea again. Try searching the waters edge at the months lowest tides. Then the people over the years that have screened the beach. TRY some where on land for a while.