Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why is the Industry so slow...............................................

reddirtfisher

:cool: Hello All,...I keep wondering why the detector industry has slowed down so much. Most of the companies are not making new models. It's been a long time since Whites and others have done anything new. I have a few theories. Could any of the following be correct?:blink:

1. new generation doesn't like this hobby.?
2. the economy & slow sales?
3.detector technology has gone as far as it will go for now?
4. more laws restricting metal detecting?
5. detectors cost too much to make and market?

I remember back in the 1990's how exciting it was. The metal detector manufacturers produced many new models and exciting accessories. The catalogs were fresh and updated.
All of that has changed. Does anyone know why? :cry:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. patent office, 1899.

This is actually an urban legend...nobody has ever been proved to have actually stated this, but maybe it has finally come true.

Or maybe we are all just waiting for the next big break though in detector technology...if there is one to be discovered.

... Whites V3, V3i ,VX3. Minelab CTX3030 ......... Many new Fishers in last couple years............. Their releasing new models, and then it seems like they are working them over for better performance.......... The F75 & F75 LTD versions as an example..Two (2) new modes added for depth... What about the V3i..Wow..it has many new added features..same as the CTX Minelab.

In my opinion the last few years have been far advanced in a short time frame than the entire 20 years before in actual performance. :shrug:

I thought the slow economy might cause a slow down in detector sales, but my loca dealer in Kansa City says sales are booming with the price of gold and silever, along with TV shows of hunting relics and meteorites with a detector. Newbies think they will make a fortune with a detector. The result will be a lot of detectors gathering dust in closets once reality sets in. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in MIssouir

I think maybe it's the price their charging for the new Detectors ? I know, if I told my wife I wanted to spend a couple of thousand on a detector, all hell would brake loose in our household:argue: :wiggle: I think the other problem is what it takes to program etc.... I look at the classifieds a lot and see the new detectors have been traded in. I assume that the person who brought them found out they are a pain in the a$$ to program. As an ex- DFX user, I was always wondering if I had the correct program for the type of detecting I was doing:confused: So I sold my so called complicated programming detector and got a "Beep and Dig"
detectors (Tesoro) and have been enjoying detecting ever since :twodetecting:. Just my opinion !

In 1980 I bought my first real detector a garret. I bought the top of the line with all the accessories. It was $350.00.
An once of gold was $360.00
A new detector in the higher dollar category with all the accessories will run you about $1500.00 today.
Gold is at $1650.00 at the moment.
No great change in price for buying quality.

i would imagine the quanity of sales to break even ratio has a lot to do with it..... how many units of a particular model have to sell before the manufacturer makes a profit.....