Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why mixed mode audio?

hodr

Seems that lots of folks in the forum like to detect in mixed mode. I tried it for a couple of outings, then realized that it didn't seem to add to my type of detecting (mostly coin shooting).

Why use mixed mode, unless you are specifically targetting iron artifacts? And if you are, why bother with the discrimination, why not just run in all metal?

Mixed mode allows you to hear more or less the depth of the target. If your looking for the really deep old stuff, it's a good tool to use its just like having the pinpoint trigger pulled and also hearing the object tone at the same time. Sometimes you can hear that there is something there that is deep but it is too deep to give a tone.

All metal should be deeper than discrimination. In mixed mode a very deep target will read in all metal and the discrimination will not sound. On less deep targets the all metal will sound until the discrimination sees the target then the discrimination is what you hear. Also in mixed mode a target that the coil in not centered over may sound off in AM and not Disc. This can alert you to investigate more and and lead to more finds.

This is a great way to hunt if it is not too cluttered.

I love mixed mode and use it exclusively for relic hunting. It would drive you crazy in a trashy area so it is great for open woods hunting for sure.

Some of the bullets I have posted were measured down to 14" and they would only give an all metal signal until about 3-4" of dirt was taken off since some of them were flattened and on edge or pointing straight up or down.

My last trip out I got a shot Spencer cartridge pointing straight up measured at 12" under 3" of sticks and leaves.

My V3i has been on fire in this one area that has been pounded.

I am averaging 12 bullets in 2 1/2 hours, have gotten a spur, a dropped Spencer bullet and a New York button out of a pounded place that I never found a pc. of brass in.

I took two other machines in there and found 1 bullet in an hour with one of them and 3 bullets in 1 1/2 hours with the other one and they are respectable machines but no all metal or mixed mode and that is the key when all targets are 10" or deeper.

I need to post my last few hunts. I used Nautilus for years and they have the dual mode that is great for deep hunting. JMHO

Jerry

So, by and large the areas I hunt are trashy and do not have particularly deep targets. Sounds like it may not be the best choice for my hunting style. I could see the attraction if relic hunting or hunting a relatively clean location where targets might be fairly deep.

Thanks for the input guys.

You are correct, Mixed mode was never intended for trashy sites and I can't see the advantage on shallow targets. In your case RD should be short for faster recovery since depth is not your problem. You can't believe how fast it can be set. Also a small coil would be important.

The edges of the coil will pick up a deeper signal in Mixed Mode which may not be heard at all in Discriminate only. Once the coil is centered over the target you will often get a nice tone from Discriminate.