Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why not Koss Headphones?

BigTony

Before I purchased my Exxplorer II I purchased a pair of Koss headphones. They have lifetime free repair but you pay the shipping.
So, I want to ask folks - what if anything am I missing while detecting? What are the complaints out there that I am not aware of in order to help me decide before the fall dirt season starts up.
Thanks Tony

Big T- The complaint I personally have is with the UR-30 phones from Koss that come with the CTX. It's not that the sound is horrible,though it's quite "bassy",but the fit to my melon is really bad,I can't keep them on my head! They are more a musical listening headphone or something....they're NOT meant to be moving around in difficult circumstances. At least that's MY take. Others use them without any mentioned issues,so....go figure,do what works. As long as you can hear everything coming through its just a matter of preference.

IDX, that's my point - how would I know If I am not hearing everything. There are times when the display shows things but there is no sound. I lower the discrimination and try again.
You are right they don't stay on your head when moving up and down to retrieve targets.
Thanks for your post.

Yes, I think the Koss headphones are not intended for the rough use they get with a metal detector. I got a pair with my Exp. SE pro and they worked fine, but the straight jack was subject to a lot of stress because of where it plugged in on the SE. When it started cutting out because of a wire break at the jack, I just bought a pair of Sunrays with a right angle jack. Maybe Koss changed to a right angle jack later?

Thanks Doug for the reply, maybe they do have right angle plugs - I don't know. I like those too.
When mine cut out I just sent mine in for the repair and got the same type straight plug back. Next time I'll ask aboput the 90 degree angle plug.

I had the same problem with the UR 2 Koss headphones, after a short time the wire broke but were saved when a friend replaced the wire with a straight cable.
For some reason I cannot get headphones to work without keep cutting out so now I don't use them on my SE Pro. I seem to get along fine without them.

Koss that come with minelabs is best for me for sound, design and quality nothing special and if you look new not so cheap.

Stasys yeah I like them, thanks for the post.
Funny thing since I wrote this post I found out that one of my ur-30's have a broken part inside one ear cup.
I'll have to call them and see if they will repair them they are old and maybe parts are not available, they lasted a very long time.

Hi Big Tony and others,

I use the Koss UR30 on my trusty Explorer SE. I hated the Koss UR30 at first but made some adjustments and now I can really appreciate it. The problems I had were that it fell from my head to often and the cable broke were it exited the audio jack.

Sliding cups,
The ear cups kept on sliding. Each time it had fallen of I had to adjust it back. Very annoying. Therefore I fixed the ear cups with small tie-rips. Problem solved.

Tightness
The Koss UR30 is not very tight on my head. I predominantly search the beach at night and I use a Petzl Pixxa head light. I use my Explorer close to daily during the summer season and on average 2 to 3 times a week during the off-season. I slide the elastic band of the head light over the headphones. Only once or twice during a 3 to 4 hour session will the band of the Petzel slide upward. I slide it back but hardly notice it anymore. So for me this works and I can appreciate the comfortable lining of the ear cups.

Audio Jacks and cable breaks
I have two sets of UR30 headphones and replaced the audio jack on both to often since the cable broke several times near the audio jack. I've tried different set-ups with tape and tie-rips to relieve the stress on the exiting cable. None did work for long. But I've found a set-up that works well for more than 3 years. Again tie-rips are involved. I'm using one set since and haven't had any cable problems. Still the same jack and no soldering ever since. I uploaded a picture of my set-up. I use a metal audio jack. The cable is bend in to a small loop and fixed to the metal jack. The cable is also fixed to the support/rest with a tie-rip at the point were the cable starts to curl. The last fixture leaves me enough room to pull out the jack and accu pack for charging without having to cut the tie-rips. The problem with the cable is solved for me as well. After while the signal gets cracky but thus-far I solved this as well with a burst of contact spray.

[attachment 334898 audiojackUR30.jpg]

I hope this is useful for some of you.

Regards Kossie.

Kossie, that is an interesting post for sure, thanks for the ideas and the photo it is also helpful.

Good luck night hunting, I haven't done that one in a very long time

I like the sound of them, but like others have stated, they don't last. I went through three pairs in less than a year because of cutting out with really not a lot of detecting time. Minelab kept replacing them when I called, but I have since switched to another brand.

ML, I understand they can cut out at times. One pair of mine just did that recently and when I took them off the left ear muff came apart. A screw part broke off but they are very old and will be looking for probably Sun Ray golds.

BigTony said:
ML, I understand they can cut out at times. One pair of mine just did that recently and when I took them off the left ear muff came apart. A screw part broke off but they are very old and will be looking for probably Sun Ray golds.

That's what I replaced them with, but I actually did prefer the sound of the Koss pair.

koss are a freebie to sell to you guys to get some cash back on my detector purchase :lmfao:

really last time I used koss ph's was for soccer practice :buds:

but hey you probably don't like my headphones so we are even.

AJ

I happen to really like the Koss UR-30's. I have a small melon so I just bend them slightly in the middle and they stay on just fine.

I also have a pair of Killer B's (Hornet Optima) and had a set of Gray Ghost and while they are OK I prefer the UR-30's best.

amberjack, so you sell them off and that makes the new detector purchase less expensive. good idea thanks

yes always sell off the incidentals otherwise they end up worth nothing in the back of the shed somewhere so yep get some cash for that stuff all helps get stuff I need or want :biggrin:

AJ

I have owned Koss phones since the 80's and they used to be $5 to repair them. I have several pair that need to be sent back just not sure I want to spend close to $20 to have a pair of used phones fixed.
On the other hand I have had phenomenal service from Detector Pro with Grey Ghost.

I have a pair of GG DMC and using them in the woods they are going to fail.

The last time they fixed them, they were back in a week round trip and think you just pay to ship back but don't quote me on it, hope this helps

Jerry