Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why should i use iron mask?

A

Anonymous

hey guys,
i can see this is going to be one great class room. what a fantastic idea.
ive read were a of you guys use iron mask. some talk about useing it set at 10 or 8. my question is what is iron mask suppose to do? and why am i useing it?
thanks
stan pa. sjmdc

The most important thing I believe is using it in iron, the more you disc out the more time it takes the exp to recover, so the more iron you accept the easier it sees good targets in or near iron. Another reason like mike was saying below, is that using a disc pattern the initial hit on a deep target or one near trash may end up somewhere on the screen other than an accepted area, so without hearing the initial response you could walk right over something and never know it....Jim

?...Because it's an important and useful tool.
I would stress that you hear more in Iron Mask, and that you hear everything on the right side which can't be beat for tone and crosshair ID , which is good. The less Iron Mask you use the more you hear.
I will use Iron Mask when hunting yard sized sites, and parks that I have plenty of time to work at hunting a small area at a time. Iron Mask is better for hearing targets than any other setting other than using a Clear screen. Since I hunt mostly by sound and in Digital, it's hard to explain what the curser is doing but I can say that the sound also jumps around just like the cross hairs do on the deep targets.
I will say that I personally don't recommend using it in every site, I really don't have to tell you this because you will know when you shouldn't be using it and how much you should be using when you do.
You could start out with Iron Mask set at say a -14 and then as necessary begin raising it to -13, then -12 and so on until it is set to what like. You do this to set the amount of tones you are willing to listen to, a quiet less trashy site for me means a -10 or -8, then the trashier the site the higher I will go to a point where I just switch to the preset coin program(it's pretty much overly trashy at this point and the tone from the iron and trash are unbearable, at least for me, others may have a higher tolerance).
I do mostly hunt with a custom coin program at this time because the site I have been working is impossible in Iron Mask, and I have been working it since day one because it's been producing lots of silver coins and V's, Indians and so on that I haven't had to move on yet. But when I do go out of the area or to the right kind of site for Iron Mask I use it to its fullest and the goodies start popping out as I would expect them to.
Just my take on it, GL/HH