Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

why shud i keep sensitivity at 4 or 5 ???

andrew9091

I hunt with the 350 mainly use the sniper coil. I always hunt with sensitity all the way up. I've been reading that I shud have it at 4 or 5 bars ??? Why is that ? Thanks

Dropping the sensitivity down decreases your chances of your machine falsing...giving a tone when there isn't really anything in the ground but natural minerals.
I, too also run at max sensitivity on my 250 but the soil in my part of the country is such that my machine gives me no problems. Wouldn't be like that fifty miles in any other direction probably.
Along the shores of the Columbia river the black sand is so bad I can only run 2 bars of sensitivity.

Here in East Texas, there are some iron ore rocks that are picked up at a foot! I have used a probe made from a car antenna and they are more like metal plates! It's almost as if some kind of fill dirt was dumped over the region with this stuff. I keep mine at 3 bars to avoid the signals in some areas. I have been able to get up to 5 bars with slower sweep speeds. I once went out in the rural areas in a pasture and could open the thing up to about 6 bars with no consequences. Location is everything.

Yeah, what Slingshot and Gordy said, location specific..you can do a test out in your yard, you will find running a low sens for anything 5" or so, it will still hit hard and be more comfortable fast and accurate...I rarely run over half power on the sens, granted, I dont have your particular machine, but this issue is most likely the same with all machines...they got way too much power for most locations...
Mud

I find that my Garrett will operate more stable once I lower my sensitivity, making it easier to find the goodies. You just lower it one bar at a time until you hear the difference. A steady smooth running machine still going deep enough to get the gooodies.

If you run it too hot wil will get all sorts of False signals.

when i first started hunting i had a gtax 550.not knowing how to operate it i checked out the forum and read the same thing.well one day while out hunting with a friend with the same machine i wasn't finding very much but he was tearing it up.so i got to talking to him and he asked me where i had my sensitivity set on and i told him 4 because thats what i had read on the forum.he told me that he ran full bars especially with the sniper coil.turned it up and went back over the areas that i had been hunting and was amazed at all the targets i had missed.sometimes my detector would start going crazy in areas and would turn it down until it settled down.

Lol...I thot it was great until I read the last post.....thanks so much for the info.....I don't notice much jumping around of signals with the sniper at full max sensitivity. Ill just have to gage it. U guys r awesome....thanks. if anyone else has any comments re this issue please respond...thanks !

well, I haven't used the sniper coil on my 350. I do adjust the sensitivity to the situation. I use 3 or 4 bars at the beach, sometimes 5 away from the water. On soil I adjust the sensitivity according to the situation. When there is a lot of hits, junk or goodies, I'll turn the sensitivity down and go over the area and dig the shallow targets. Then I go back with a higher setting and check again. That helps me to separate targets that may be on top of each other, but at different depths.

I run the maximum the ground will allow. Any less, and you are losing some depth
performance. A little chatter now and then does not bother me. You can tell what's a
real target, and what is a false, by whether it repeats or not. If the machine is going
crazy, I'll back it down. But in most of the places I hunt, I can run pretty hot.
I can 7-8 most of the time at my dirt patch in the sticks even with the big coils.
Here in town, 6-7 is probably the average for the two larger coils.
I run the sniper at 7-8 most all the time.
I never run 4-5.. You are losing some definite depth at that low a setting.
Some areas might demand it, but I don't see areas like that too often.
Anyway, I start high and go backwards if needed. Not the other way around.

Like I said, I don't have a sniper coil. I Use the sensitivity to weed out trash when mixed with the good stuff when possible. If you have two targets at different depths, one will mask the other and it will be very difficult to pick one over the other. So I often lower the sensitivity, remove one target and go over the spot with a higher setting to see what the other is. Lately I have Even gone over an area and have been getting faint blips, possibly a third target. Because I can't tell what it is and because it reads as 8+ I haven't dug any. I cleared a spot around a tree at the local ball field of over $3.00 and some trash As soon as My AT Pro arrives and I learn it I will go back to see if I can tell what these extra deep hits are. I know at least one silver, 1957 dime, has been found at the site. Most of the time I hit a target that deep it's large trash, a soda can or something like that. I rarely find a coin more than 6-8 inches. When I have it has been dry sand.