Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why so many dimes?

matthias

When it comes to finding silver coins...why does it seem the majority of finds are dimes? This is true for me and looks to be true for most of the guys on YouTube. What is your opinion? Thanks. HH. Matt

I think dimes are easier to lose due to their smaller size... also if you knew you dropped a quarter or more, you would be more likely to really try to find it right after dropping it.

The dime is a lesser denomination given to kids for spending............. and they lose them.

Hard to see when dropped in grass, and they bounce when dropped on hard surface areas.......... JMHO ........

I agree with what Dodge and Elton said above, but sometimes there is another reason also. Many people, especially people that have trouble getting up and down, only detect quarters. Being bigger than dimes, they are easier to pinpoint, and every 4 quarters makes a dollar, so that's all they look for when they detect, so all that leaves for the rest of us is mostly dimes, pennies, and those pesky gold rings that we get stuck with digging up from time to time.

Matthias,
think of the time period - many things (Candy for example) back in the day was cheap(er). I can remember hearing my relatives explain to me how cheap candy was (between 5 - 10 cents) To get into the movies and buy a candy bar was 15 cents. So all in all things were cheaper back then and required basically pennies, nickels and dimes. Also at the old carnival ground I hunt I always find a silver dime or two and always find wheat cents. Many are in the 1940's & 50's. Again, things were just cheaper back then. I am not saying you won't find silver quarters but if little Johnny wanted to go buy some pop and get on one of the rides, you might be talking about a whopping .10 cents! As Dodge mentions, quarters are larger and more noticeable if dropped. I do agree silver dimes are much more "abundant" compared to quarters and larger diameter silver coins. - Jim

matthias said:
When it comes to finding silver coins...why does it seem the majority of finds are dimes? This is true for me and looks to be true for most of the guys on YouTube. What is your opinion? Thanks. HH. Matt

I pretty much agree with what's been posted. Due to the small size I think they often are less obvious when dropped as well. I've noticed that I find a considerable percentage of dimes in my clad retrievals as well.
BB

Back when I was a kid, I remember having more holes in my pockets.
I got a quarter a week for doing chores and a candy bar was a nickel.
When it went up to a dime, we thought it was the end of the world.
At recess we always played tackle football or kill the man.
I should go back to my old elementary school and recover my lost lunch money...it was all silver.

Steve O said:
[size=large]I should go back to my old elementary school and recover my lost lunch money...it was all silver[/size].

Where did you say you attended grade school Steve ???? :devil: LOL !!

Ha Ha Ha, George Washington Elementary School...that's the only clue I'm giving.

old lobo, I met newly retired gentleman detecting in a park a while back who only detected for quarters. As a retirement gift, his wife had given him a new Whites DFX 300 which he set up to reject everything below quarter signals. He said he could move fast covering a lot of ground in a short time and did not have to kneel down on his creaky knees so much.

I've been tempted to cherry pick that way, but 10 dimes still equal a dollar and set that way would miss all gold jewelry and most rings.
BB

Steve O said:
I should go back to my old elementary school and recover my lost lunch money...it was all silver.

Always wanted to hunt my old elementary school. I remember where most activities took place.
The school is part of an airport now....off limits to everybody.