Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why some hate and love the V3i?

Daugela

Hi guys - Long time follower, first time thread. Been posting on another forum that some of you may recognize my name, but having found this forum that's specific to certain detectors, figured this would be the place to ask questions.

A little background on myself. Been hunting for 7 years consistent on the weekends with my MXT. It's the only detector I've owned. I hunt in Phoenix and have traveled to other states with it on vacation for fun. I primarily use it for COINSHOOTING and JEWELRY. I've never used it for PROSPECTING and don't plan to. The areas I hunt are parks and old homes in the central Phoenix area. I also take it out to old abandoned sites. I would like to take some vacations back east for some CW hunts.

Over the years I've been using it, I've become very proficient with it. I use the 4X6 DD most of the time. Seems like it's a perfect fit for COINSHOOTING in Phoenix.

I'm now ready to move "up." Not that the MXT isn't good enough, but I'm thinking I could be more successful with a V3i, but I have some questions that need to be answered. Actually, I'm kinda ready for a challenge with a new detector.

I don't understand why so many HATE the machine and so many LOVE the machine. It seems MOST who have bought the MXT love it.

1.) Why are there so many haters and lovers of it? Is it because it's too complicated? Any other reason?
2.) The MXT uses the 14 frequency. Seems great for what I do. Does 3 frequencies make this better? Some write the 22 is too high for coinshooting and relic mode. If that's the case why did White's add the 22 and not the 14 to the V3i
3.) Do many find that there are too many programs that most of us while never use? Waist of money? Many like the Hi-Pro mode. Knowing what I like to do, will I only use a couple of programs and the others will get no attention?
4.) Understanding #3, is the V3i too versatile for my needs? If I only use a couple of programs, would the V3i be overkill?
5.) What was the V3i designed to do? Was it geared towards a certain kind of style or mode?
6.) POLL - of the V3i users, how many are primary coin shooter/jewelry guys?

The bottom line is this - Will this machine be "too much" for me? I'm confident I can learn the curve, but for what I like to do, is the machine too advanced? Will I own a Ferrari and only take it to the grocery store? Did you guys think the same before buying. I plan on goign to the dealer I bought my MTX from and checking out the machine.

I just scratch my head whn one guy says this machine is AWESOME, but another says it's overrated and the MXT Prop is no less - just minus a fancy colored screen, etc... thanks!!

Hello
Saw your post and I will tell you I use my V3I for everything because you can!:detecting:

For coins and jewelry and anything else its a keeper...

I wanted the more complex machine because I could grow into it.. You can set it for whatever you want,

In the beginning I went crazy finding things mostly coins, rings, etc...i have coffee cans full of pennies, 5 wheaties , and another coffee can full of silver coins:goodnight:

But I am tired of the coins so now I am going into the parks for jewelry only...and that I have been doing....lol its so easy with the V3I :pulltab:<<<<these come in under a ring but with the polar plot you hardly dig these at all.....some I do just in case !!

Anyone who hates the V3I is not a computer type person or they just want it easier...The manual sucks but the stuff online will seer you in the right direction...Go look at Fox's posts on the whites website forum:yikes:

For me I have owned my V3I now for 6 months and I am going strong and have barley touched the normal settings except to read the ground in my area and look only for gold and silver and not much trash ...I bypass the zinc pennies I have enough !!

If I can help you can email me or go on a hunt with me I will show anyone how to use the V3I....and get you started......

Ditch the big coils for the 6x10 or the 4x6 and it will open a whole new world.... Why they give you a 12 coil is beyond me....

You said," Will this machine be "too much" for me? I'm confident I can learn the curve, but for what I like to do, is the machine too advanced? Will I own a Ferrari and only take it to the grocery store?" No one can answer this but you.

"Why are there so many haters and lovers of it? Is it because it's too complicated? Any other reason?"

Do you know what this is?
[attachment 255766 2013-01-29_092030.jpg] It is the menu from my computer and it is exactly the way the V3i menu is organized, exactly the same as your computer. If you own a computer and have never used this menu you probably wouldn't like a V3i. Your MXT has few adjustments basically gain up or down and disc up or down. The XLT, DFX, and V3i don't work that way.

I have never bought a detector based on what people say on the internet. Why won't some people use an Etrac, because they don't want to spend the time and effort to learn a flagship detector. Some people want knobs and some want menus. The V3i is as complicated as you want to make it. It can be run as a turn on and go machine. Good luck.

The on board computer doesn't concern me at all. I'm very computer savvy. When I say advanced, I mean will I really use all the features? I know it's rhetorical and you'll answer - ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT. But do you guys feel you're truly reaping all the benefits of the machine or just using 20% of its capability?

Let me get this right based upon the above post. The V3i can discriminate a zinc penny but to the others? Does it discriminate specific VDIs I input? How does that work?

If I can help you can email me or go on a hunt with me I will show anyone how to use the V3I....and get you started...... Ditch the big coils for the 6x10 or the 4x6 and it will open a whole new world.... Why they give you a 12 coil is beyond me....[/color said:

I would totally take you up on that and check out your rig. Are you local?

1.) Why are there so many haters and lovers of it? Is it because it's too complicated? Any other reason?

Like most people they get mad at something they don't feel they understand. Many good detectorist hate any detector they are not able to grasp or make work for them. They feel intimidated because they know they should be able to work it but can't, so they blame the detector. They really hate when they see others having great success with the same detector they failed at. This is why most good detectors will have those who love it and those who hate it

2.) The MXT uses the 14 frequency. Seems great for what I do. Does 3 frequencies make this better? Some write the 22 is too high for coinshooting and relic mode. If that's the case why did White's add the 22 and not the 14 to the V3i

Completely different technology. The V3i uses a TRUE 3 frequency system. You can't really claim 22 KHZ is too high for coins because a lot depends on conditions. All things being equal/normal lower frequencies do tend to make better coin(high conductive) choices, but that isn't always the case. Having 22 KHZ just gives you more choices. Works great for small gold as well.

3.) Do many find that there are too many programs that most of us while never use? Waist of money? Many like the Hi-Pro mode. Knowing what I like to do, will I only use a couple of programs and the others will get no attention?

I would agree anthing over 5 programs is more than I need, but then having those factory default programs can be handy to use as starter programs to build your own off and then save to a new slot.

4.) Understanding #3, is the V3i too versatile for my needs? If I only use a couple of programs, would the V3i be overkill?

I happen to believe no detector can be too versatile but then I like being able to adjust my stuff if I feel the need to.

5.) What was the V3i designed to do? Was it geared towards a certain kind of style or mode?

Just the opposite. I believe it was designed to be one of the most versatile machines on the market. I also think they accomplished their design very well.

6.) POLL - of the V3i users, how many are primary coin shooter/jewelry guys?

My primary hunting is coinshooting and jewelry.

Coming from the DFX, I absolutely love the V3i. There are a couple of features that I miss from the DFX, like DC phase for one. I also miss the **simplistic** ground balancing of the DFX. But there are so many features that make up for the few things that I miss, like the polar plot and sizing graph giving much more info than DC phase. Personally, I like to get the most out of a machine that I'm using that has so much potential power to unlock, so I experiment as mucha s possible, time permitting, every time i get to go out. I can say with confidence, though, that even out of the box, with a stock program, the V felt like a much more capable machine than its predecessor.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your input.

Can someone though give me a reason or an example as to why I would tweak the V3i from the programmed mode? I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know why since I'm using the MXT now. Since there are so many programs, it seems there should be one for practically every situation. Why tweak it?

thanks

mortamus said:
But I am tired of the coins so now I am going into the parks for jewelry only...and that I have been doing....lol its so easy with the V3I :pulltab:<<<<these come in under a ring but with the polar plot you hardly dig these at all.....some I do just in case !!

[/color][/b]

I Have been using my V3i (about once a week) since they first came out (V3, then converted to i).

I am more of a coin shooter because I like being confident of what I am digging, and the severe lack of jewelry in the ground in my area (no one in our club finds much jewelry except on the beaches). I routinely find silver dimes 7-10 inches down in my area, but have only ever found one gold ring (not gold plated copper, of which I have found several).

I have tried a couple of times to go just for the gold, but pulltabs and can-slaw are the bane of my existance. I have never personally found anything of use in the polar plot menu.

If you could explain how you avoid pulltabs using the polar plot I would appreciate it. I know there were posts before claiming pulltabs are squiggly and rings are straight lines, but that hasn't been my experience.

-Hodr

Daugela said:

Can someone though give me a reason or an example as to why I would tweak the V3i from the programmed mode? I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know why since I'm using the MXT now. Since there are so many programs, it seems there should be one for practically every situation. Why tweak it?

thanks

There are stock programs on the V3i that are just a general generic program. You can run them but you probably won't get the best out of your detector. It needs to be tweaked for your specific area. That is the one thing I love about the V3i is its adjustability. Other detectors do not have this.
Take a race car for example,.. You can set it up and make it run fast but,..depending on where you are in the United States, things need to be tweaked to make it do its very best. Temperature, altitude and humidity all play a part in setting up the car. With the V3i, mineralization, EMI, coil size, trashy areas, type of metal your searching for, and so on, all factor into how you are going to set up your detector. The pre programmed set ups is just a base to get you started in the right direction.
Hope this helps..

magic said:
Daugela said:

thanks

There are stock programs on the V3i that are just a general generic program. You can run them but you probably won't get the best out of your detector. It needs to be tweaked for your specific area. That is the one thing I love about the V3i is its adjustability. Other detectors do not have this.
Take a race car for example,.. You can set it up and make it run fast but,..depending on where you are in the United States, things need to be tweaked to make it do its very best. Temperature, altitude and humidity all play a part in setting up the car. With the V3i, mineralization, EMI, coil size, trashy areas, type of metal your searching for, and so on, all factor into how you are going to set up your detector. The pre programmed set ups is just a base to get you started in the right direction.
Hope this helps..

Thank you Magic - That's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Makes total sense! So if a person learns the V3i and begins to tweak the programs to their liking - depending on their conditions or needs, I'm assuming they SAVE that tweak and name it something different as a completely different file or can you only change the factory program mode once? To clarify, if I tweak the COIN mode then take the unit to another state to hunt, do I have to reset the COIN mode back to factory so I can tweak for THOSE conditions or is the original tweak saved under a different name? Does that make sense?

Daugela said:
magic said:
Daugela said:

thanks

Hope this helps..

Thank you Magic - That's exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for. Makes total sense! So if a person learns the V3i and begins to tweak the programs to their liking - depending on their conditions or needs, I'm assuming they SAVE that tweak and name it something different as a completely different file or can you only change the factory program mode once? To clarify, if I tweak the COIN mode then take the unit to another state to hunt, do I have to reset the COIN mode back to factory so I can tweak for THOSE conditions or is the original tweak saved under a different name? Does that make sense?

You can save what you have changed under the same name or..as a different named program all together. Example.. I hunt in Ky a lot but I use different settings there. I have two programs that I use there with the right changes that I need called KY 1 and KY 2. But remember, there are some changes that can only be made while you are at the site detecting. In that situation,.. You can put those settings on your quick bar and go right to them. When you learn your detector, you will find out that depending on where you are and what's going on that day,..you will always have to adjust certain things for that particular time.

Very interesting. Almost sounds that the V3i is made to travel or to be used for an incredibly wide range of settings and locations. I guess that's the purpose of the adjustability.

So, the VX3 is similar to the V3i, but just NOT AS adjustable. From what I read, it's adjustable but not as much.

Don't get rid of your mxt , if your proficient with it thats what counts, I still have mine and its always so easy to set up and let her rip. The v3i is a great machine to ,once you get it set right for your hunting site, I like to macro tweak the settings, get it just right, the only problem is that in the back of my head I always feel that I could have missed a setting that would make it better. What if what if. Dooooo!

I ran an MXT for 5 years, and yes it is a good machine BUT I don't have one now.

I've been detecting for a long time and can easily say the V3i is the most versatile detector I have ever used. Like Rob inferred....if you can move around on a computer or these forums, can "stand firm" on what you've learned to grow further, this machine will have you going places others simply can not go. I try not to be a fanboy (and use other detectors too) but this detector is my cornerstone.
This is not to say other machines don't have incredible qualities....you just cannot dig into some situations as well as this machine can. Once it "clicks", quick modifications to factory programs can rule the day. It really is a simple machine to grow into.

mortamus said:

[/color][/b]

NO WAY NO HOW. I DON'T CARE WHAT THIS PERSON SAYS. If he is in fact doing this he is missing gold

Daugela said:
Very interesting. Almost sounds that the V3i is made to travel or to be used for an incredibly wide range of settings and locations. I guess that's the purpose of the adjustability.

The problem with traveling for me is...and... I do it often is dialing it in at a place that is different. It often takes me 2 or 3 trips before I can optimize it in certain locations. Had that problem today it's frustrating to know your not getting all you can out of it.