Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why the difference?

sonny60

A friend and I use a map from the 1800's, my Garmin Etrex Legend, and Terraclient to locate old houses, stores, etc. to metal detect. Two days ago I was shown an old well where on old school once stood and took a reading on my GPS. It was: Lat 38.38296 and Long -84.20446. This was within 20 feet of the well. When I got home I found the spot on terraclient but the reading was Lat 38.6386 and Long -84.3398. I believe these two readings are miles apart but I know the spot on the map was right. I can see the swimming pool in my yard using the map. Why is there so much difference in the readings or what am I doing wrong? I am using WAAS and am using true north if that helps any.

Look again at your receiver co-ordinates. I'm pretty sure that they are NOT Lat 38.38296 and Long -84.20446 but
Lat of N 38 Deg 38.296 minutes and Lon. W 84 Deg 20.446 Minutes and this is about 100 meters away from Terraclient's N 38.6386 Deg W 84.3398 Deg. Why 100 meters diff? Well, for starters; What datum is set in your receiver? What datum is used by Terraclient? If you are not sure what datum is, it's time to read "learn the basics" section of www.gpsnuts.com

Wow! I wish I had talked to you days ago. Would have saved me some headaches. Took your advice on datums and found out which one they were using. Then went to the old well site, took another reading and it matched theirs on the nose. I can even see the old well on their map. Your website is now on my favorites list. Have a lot to learn about GPS. Will be out tomorrow detecting and using your info. Thanks a lot for the help.