Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why the GTI 2500 - Is it still relevant?

landman

Been a big fan of the unit since it's introduction as the GTI 2000. Owing it on and off 3 times.
I'm thinking of purchasing a new one this year but I'm hesitating. The reason is the depth.
I love it's size imaging and it's ability to run in non motion all metal. My hesitation is and question is
does those features justify it's lack of depth when operating in discriminate mode. Maybe
you've seen the comparison tests pitting it against the AT pro. Where a AT Pro can do a nickel
at 13 inches the GTI will do it a 8" Depth is part of the equation because that's where the older over looked items still are.
What do you say? Is the GTI 2500 still relevant in 2016 and why? Be brutally honest. Thank you.

Landman,
I had the same concern as I purchased one several years ago and second guessed myself about how it compared to the AT Pro and F75. I called Garrett last week and asked them the same thing. Long story short....it was way ahead of its time when it came out in 1999. It today is ahead of its time in many ways still. It has a lot of features the AT Pro does not have, An older machine does not mean a lack of performance. I also own a Nautilus detector. It is probably 25 years old but would keep up or pass any of the current machines because of its DEEP detection ability. Give Sue at Garrett a call and she can answer all of your questions,,,,,,good luck,

If you have been detecting for that long than you know air tests really don't tell the whole story.
When adjusted properly the 2500 is the depth king is its all metal mode.

Indeed a noisy mode the all metal mode that ID's is as deep as any....case closed...try it you may like it....

I have and I did like it to since it's inception however when the Midelab Explorer came out I
experienced a level of depth in disc. mode like I had never seen. I'm in the market again.
I tried the super deep Blisstool. But it made just too many of the same sound for me to
excel with it. Just taking another look around and am looking for some good reasons
to repurchase the GTI. With the Racer and Nokta detectors it makes it tough to reconsider a machine I loved but
did not think was a very deep machine in disc mode. Yes it's the bomb in non motion all metal which I highly respect and
love a machine having this capability. But is hunting in that mode doable?

Agree but disc mode is the practical mode most hunt in.
Do you hunt in All metal with the GTI most of the time?

Forgot to mention Sue said it is deeper than the AT Pro which most people will not want to hear.This is also in discriminate mode.......and not even close in all metal. Again, don't discout the 2500 as a great machine. I have owned Explorers, F75's, AT Pro's and others. All machines have pros and cons. I like a machine that is quiet and I can interpret all the sounds. A machine that pops and crackles or sends me a symphony of notes is not what I personally want. We all want depth, that is a given.

I had a situation where I buried a half pint mason jar with some pennies in it and put it pretty deep with the lid down and the at/pro didn't pick it up, but the GTI-2500 did. I've let the 2500 languish in the closet or trunk as a back up but have a trashy site I have tried to hunt with no luck and hope to try it with the 2500 and set the trash elimination up as deep as I can and see what happens. I'm still carrying the At/Pro and trying some of the ideas from the trash issue question I posted. I don't intend to give up on this property, but it is huge.

The imaging is one reason I will never give up my 2500. The all metal mode is great when you hit a target that is coming in light and want to find it.

John

I guess you were right. She's amazing, the GTI is still relevant and I believe I'll get me another.

Great to hear you talked to Sue. I think she must own every current Garrett detector. She easily answered my GTI 2500 comparison questions that involved the AT PRO because she owns and uses one.

Both the GTI 1500 and 2500 were great metal detectors. The GTI 2500 has the true all metal mode, which beats a lot of other newer detectors. And, the imaging feature, once learned correctly, is a real bonus for coin and jewelry hunters, as it allows the user to leave a lot of junk in the ground using precious time to dig probable targets.

In some ways, it's on par with newer detectors, others advanced, and, others, it's 15 years old. I think there's a few things they could do to enhance it a bit with maybe a face lift.

I can't agree with you more!!!
In fact newer doesn't necessarily always mean better, though I do appreciate technology.
I repair musical amps and equipment, and there is a huge movement back to vacuum tube amps because musicians, and people like the sound better.
No digitalization, just simple analog unadulterated sound!
The music industry is coming full circle as all the big players are now producing tube amps.
A perfect example where old is actually better!

My big beef is that there are just a few things they could do to make it look like a newer detector that wouldn't increase the price any, mainly cosmetic. Maybe they could lighten it up a little too.

I couldn't agree with you more, it could be improved, especially in the weight category..... the main reason I don't hunt with it as much as I'd like to.
The reality is that even small changes would cost probably more than they could recoup.
I would love to see a new detector based on the GTI 2500....ie. imaging.
Lighter, faster, better screen, maybe dual frequency, and on and on.
Waterproof, would also be on the list....I guess you see where I'm going.
Where do you start, and where do you end?
I think the ATX was their attempt at this, and it is their top model though it is a PI machine, which is in another category from VLF machines.