Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why the icons are just for american hunting?

cypearl

My wonder was if you are in Europe why shouldn't you have the icons to change from American to any others country' s images on the v3is? I meant it is nice to have the icons but sometimes they are confusing since the sizes of coins are different in any other country.

I don't use icons and have them turned off. I know which coins are the target by the tones I have set.

Yeh Robert but it is nice to have them on, they give a nice color on your screen but as said are different! I will be happy to see an update on the software. As far we are hunting for hammered coins also, so tiny, it would be nice to have it on screen. V3i remains my best detector anyway.

You can make custom icons, actually words, for any coins you want on a V3i. I don't know or care what range is for a hammered coin but I can set it to say hammered. The procedure is in the manual.

I thught that was what the "i" was for... "international"??? Aren't the icons in there for our friends across the pond?

No there not and i have asked whites if it can be done with new soft-ware,no reply,i no you can turn them off i do but it would be nice to have your own coinage for your part of the world...

I just change which icon matches which VDI on my most used programs. Easily done by scanning your local coinage to find out the VDI and then changing them in the menu.

I think the icons are annoying and wish i could turn them off on my vx3 but can't. The deeper targets in my area don't match up half the time anyways.

There are huge complications in making icons for the huge diversity of coins (in coins) other than over here in the states. Our coins mostly stay with traditional compositions (at least close) that go way back into the 19th century. (Our modern coins stayed the course in metalic signiture for the vending machine industry..) Add to that our shorter history,our relative isolation from neighbors with differing coinage, and our low use of "oddball" coinage (small dollars, two cent peices,trimes,half dimes, twenty cent peices etc...), making up a straight forward icon program for us Americans.....not too complex....and once we learn it, we shut the thing off anyways. I don't think turning it off kicks up the processing speed much with the V's (as the processor has so much headroom) but...it sure did with previous models and was an important thing to do.

To you fellow detectorists from across the pond and around the world, "Turn off the icons!". (It's all just a bunch of un-needed "hand holding" that is designed for when us Americans are just learning.) The "i" (for international) could have also included getting rid of the silly feature in the model....but it can be too important for the American beginner..........to just toss away.

It is useful for beginners, important in marketing to beginners, good looking on the screen. After you learn how the other "more important" ID features interact.....useless. I guess this will have to be voiced over and over (and over and over) and that's why good forums like this one exist. (OFF!)