Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Why wouldn't a 10DD come standard?

ryanchappell

Why wouldn't a 10" DD coil come standard on the XTerra detectors? The two coils the 9" Concentric and the 10" DD both retail for the same price. At least it could be an option. Those that live in mineralized areas would need it, but no you have to buy the detector with the 9" con for $400 then get a 10" DD for $165...

From reading here only- I believe that the 9" or the 10x5" gold pak coils balance better. The option would make perfect sense. I think that they want to have a consumer presented with one of the aspects ML features in their promo- a light-well balanced MD.

Do a search and you'll find that the main complaint for that 10" coil is a balance issue.

When I asked Minelab about "stock coil" options a few years ago, I was told that dealers can sell any coil as the "stock" coil that they want. However, the packages offered to the dealers are only the 9-inch concentric or the elliptical (gold pack), meaning the dealers had to make the switch themselves for those insisting on one of the other coils. There have been a few guys report that they were able to negotiate with their dealer to get a different coil when they bought their detector. But I'm not aware of any dealers who make a regular practice of it, or advertise that they are willing to make the change. I guess that is why the call it negotiating. HH Randy

Or a Xterra 705 SE with the 11" "Pro Coil" like the big brother the Etrac has!!!!!......Mark

Thanks for the answers. Thanks Randy!

morelic55 said:
Or a Xterra 705 SE with the 11" "Pro Coil" like the big brother the Etrac has!!!!!......Mark

Minelab has to be working on a lighter E-Trac or something just like that.

After I posted that I read something about how heavy and out of balance the 10" DD is. We are spoiled with the 11" DD being so light on our E-Tracs. It would be nice if the VFlex and FBS coils were interchangeable! How about a little box like the X-1 switch box that adapts VFlex to FBS and viceversa?

I never want to go back to concentric after using the 6" VFlex 18.75khz, 11" Pro Coil, and 8x6 SEF coils, but then again I always detect old, junky places, peppered with nails in very mineralized soil, and when I do make it to a wooded area, I find myself in the same boat around house and structure foundations.

If I could do it over I would want the 305 with an 8" DD coil. An 8x6 SEF might offer good balance. Too bad there is nothing offered in that size. 6" DD is a nice option, but 8" DD is so versatile and offers depth and coverage area. Compared to 10-11" DD or any concentric, it greatly enhances "seeing through" or more accurately around junk.

With DD, you get a deep linear trough of detection that can slip between junk items, and find deep coins, as opposed to a cone on concentric that would beep on any shallow or mid depth junk under the coil disc.

The only problem I have with the 10" DD is the width of the field. Yes it is a bit heavy but that is not a big deal. Same punch and disc with the field width of the 5x10, OH Yeah,

Jeff