Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will 12.5 by 8.5 nel hunter coil be a good replacement for 10.5?

Irvin D Burke

I just ordered a 12.5 by 8.5 hunter by nel for my exlpoer xs .Ive heard a lot of good things about it . Will it be as deep as 10.5? I was looking for less weight as well as performance . Any body that has this setup please let me know your experiences with it.

Irvin-Generally speaking(and some may disagree) the WIDTH of the coil is about what you can expect for depth. Meaning,your football shaped 8.5" WIDE coil will most likely NOT get the depth of your stock 10.5" coil. However,it will get 2" more COVERAGE. These observations are mine and other peoples,but nothing is exact. For example,how deep a coil will go is NOT proportional to its overall size. I have a 5" Sunray. By someone's calculations someone may think,it being 5" round,that it should achieve 5" in depth. It can achieve 7-8" in depth pretty easily. Why? The TX power(transmit signal) on most machines,and certainly the Explorers,is fixed. So if you have a large coil with a lot of wire in the winding the signal gets "diluted" in a way. A small coil with not as much wire in it is more "energized" by the same available transmit power,thus making it proportionally deeper than its huge counterparts.
Slightly off track....in MY experience,for MY Explorer2,the stock coil is very smooth,reaches deep and just WORKS. I have also had ALOT of good finds with the Sunray X-12,which I also have,along with the X-8 and X-5. I'm sure there are other coils that will do a good job,that's just what I usually use for an arsenal on mine. Let us know how yours works out....

IDXMonster said:
Irvin-Generally speaking(and some may disagree) the WIDTH of the coil is about what you can expect for depth. Meaning,your football shaped 8.5" WIDE coil will most likely NOT get the depth of your stock 10.5" coil. However,it will get 2" more COVERAGE. These observations are mine and other peoples,but nothing is exact. For example,how deep a coil will go is NOT proportional to its overall size. I have a 5" Sunray. By someone's calculations someone may think,it being 5" round,that it should achieve 5" in depth. It can achieve 7-8" in depth pretty easily. Why? The TX power(transmit signal) on most machines,and certainly the Explorers,is fixed. So if you have a large coil with a lot of wire in the winding the signal gets "diluted" in a way. A small coil with not as much wire in it is more "energized" by the same available transmit power,thus making it proportionally deeper than its huge counterparts.
Slightly off track....in MY experience,for MY Explorer2,the stock coil is very smooth,reaches deep and just WORKS. I have also had ALOT of good finds with the Sunray X-12,which I also have,along with the X-8 and X-5. I'm sure there are other coils that will do a good job,that's just what I usually use for an arsenal on mine. Let us know how yours works out....
. I agree ! Even though Stupidly answered.

Thank you for your answering . I've used the Joey on my exlpoer xs for years and love it ,in fact it's hardly been off in 15years . It's light and pin points good and separates good also. But it doesn't cover a lot of ground. I am hopeing to get better coverage and depth with the hunter. What you said about smaller coils is true, I know I've dug 10" or more on coin sized targets with that Joey .

IDX, l liked the 10.5 I've found many good things with it but after getting the Joey I went back over a cw trench and found more . One spot was a small area 2' by 2' spot at the base of a tree on inside of trench I went over spot with 10.5 found 2 bullets later with Joey got two more bullets. Also the weight and pinpointing are a problem for me.Ive only used the nel hunter once but I like it. It's lighter pinpoints good and of course deeper than the Joey .

The Plat is the heaviest coil I've used on my Explorer 2, heavier than the WOT. It does not go deeper than the stock or the pro, perhaps better separation than the stock but it's not worth it, get the pro instead.