Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will a IDX Pro w/mods out perform a Spectum XLT?

Will a IDX Pro with Mr Bills mods out perform a Spectrum XLT ? I need some honest answers please both using the 950 coil.

You need to set some parameters as to where each unit is going to be used.

If your hunting in a trashy park or play ground, the IDX, with or without mods will trounce the XLT. The IDX is a slow sweep, fast recovery unit. The XLT is a fast sweep, medium speed recovery unit. One can not adjust the XLT to hunt as good as the IDX under trashy conditions.

My modifications came about because I was using a XLT, (purchased when they first came out), and had a hard time doing a trash full lot one day. Along came a kid with a Classic II, and blew me away hunting in the trash, and the kid wasn't getting any false / iron trash targets. I needed to find out why that was, after all I was touting the most expensive detector in the world, and this little cheapo detector with a kid, did me in. I found out. I found out the Classic was a very underrated detector that just needed a few mods to perk it up. The Classic series units do very well, and yes I still have a XLT.

Mr. Bill

I have my lil sisters IDX Pro down stairs, Maybe I should give it a couple hours to inpress me. Its here 'cause its is likely to be stolen at her place.

Good in the trash? I used it one day for 15 min or so. Set the Disc to just pick up a Nickel. Is that the correct way? I ran the Sens to about the little tringle. Dug a bottle cap and a nail straight away. I was NOT unimpressed I just wasn't comfertable with the machine.

I should give it some more time I think. Maybe I should pay for the mods --- then I would have money tied up in it and would have a desire to find reasons to like it. Funny how that works.

Jeff

Have to say Mr. Bill does a great job with the mods making the IDX better but with all its changeable facets, superior notch, ID numbers , tones, XLT well leamed is certainly one of the best ever made by Whites and is the winner hands down. Of course expect a learning period for the XLT and IDX is user friendly and lets not forget
price as the XLT is certainly more expensive and you only get what you pay for and one guesses thats why Whites makes so many models to satisfy the needs and wallets of all of its customers..
Gee nothing against the IDX but using both over the years have first hand knowledge and not something I read and in the end just my opinion which I feel would be shared by many.

having owned 21 XLT since their first release, and a half-dozen modified IDX Pro's, I can tell you that because of your specific question, I have to say I would favor a modified IDX Pro. But I'll add that with either model, I seldom use the 940 coil except for large, open, sparse-target sites. About 90% of the time, with either model, I prefer one of the 6

I'd say yes, that I'd rather trust the depth of a modified IDX over an XLT myself. Then again, I'd opt for a QXT over a IDX to be even more sure of that. QXT is the deepest silver/copper coin hunter Whites ever made IMHO when compared to any Whites (then or now) using the same sized coil. Never liked the XLT. It's a dog in the trash. Too much top heavy software and too many tweaks that can hurt you instead of help. QXT had just enough controls to max it out and even a few features that the XLT didn't. I've said this a thousand times but if the QXT had something larger available in a DD like maybe a 12x10 SEF coil then it would probably outclass just about anything on the market, or at least be comparible in depth on silver/copper coins to the Minelabs in low minerals.

Yep the 5.3 coil excells in trashy areas and really doesn't cost one much depth.

Over tweaked XLT can hurt more than help.

21 XLT's in 18 years and I thought I was bad as I have had roughly 10....and my problem was reading 10 books or so just couldn't get the superior depth I needed for deep silver in my neck of the woods even using some of the best programs around and hunting with an XLT guru who is a naturally fast swinger I feel being a slow swinger was my downfall for superior depth and other units requiring a slow swing better fit my style of hunting. So in essence I respect your opinions and one shoe doesn't fit all sort of situation. In addendum nothing against the IDX and Monte or Mr. Bill who I have known and corresponded for years still stick to my guns and all comes down to the nut behind the wheel and in the hands of a fast swinging learned XLT user an XLT is hard to beat given all the situations we may encounter and the flexibility of an XLT with changeable facets to handle these situations..

By the way Monte is a true detector guru of sorts and certainly respects his opinions..