Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WIll gold jewelry go extinct?

A new alloy came on the market in 2007 it is Platina 4. Avon is using it in some of their rings. I have not confirmed it but I believe it is marked P4 similar to the .925 or K markings on jewelry.

Platina 4 is a patented blend of four precious metals

WaterWalker said:
A new alloy came on the market in 2007 it is Platina 4. Avon is using it in some of their rings. I have not confirmed it but I believe it is marked P4 similar to the .925 or K markings on jewelry.

Platina 4 is a patented blend of four precious metals

old lobo said:
At Orange and L.A. county beaches during the hot summer months, detectorists are all over those beaches like a bunch of cockroaches, but that that's only half of why less is being found, at least in the dry sand. For years beach rakes cleaned the sand and they only picked up the bigger items, leaving much still in the sand. Now many beaches use the sand sifter machines which pick up 95% of the recent drops in the top few inches of sand. A friend of mine talked to one of those drivers last summer, and just that morning the driver had found 6 gold rings just by watching what was going up the conveyer belt of his sifting machine. Those machines cover many times more ground, much faster, than any detectorist can. Those machines clean in the A.M. so the way to beat them, if your a dry sand hunter, is detect in the evening as late as you can. A person can do better in the water or when the tide goes out, in the wet. I'm a terrible metal detectorist who usually finds anywhere from a few cents to a couple of dollars when I go out, but this last Sunday and Monday something happened to me that has never happened before, and it relates to what we are talking about here. Sunday I was detecing the wet sand and get almost no signals, when finally I get a signal that was bouncing between nickle and the notch under nickle. I dug it up and there was a platinum ladies engagement ring with a diamond in the center and three diamond chips on each side. Monday at 4:30 A.M. I was at a differing beach. There were already 2 people doing down by the water, and 2 doing the wet sand up near the dry sand. I didn't see them get near each other in that middle area of the wet sand, so as they worked their way away from me I decided to see if there was anything in that gap they seemed to have left. During the first hour I was finding several pennies, 3 quarters, 4 dimes, then I got a nickle signal, which many times means a can tab. I scooped it up and it was another ladies engagement ring. This time it was 14k white gold with 3 main diamonds on top and 2 diamond chips on each side. The next day I took both rings to my local detector shop and they tested to see if the diamonds were real. They were real in both rings. I have talked to other detectorists and they are also finding quality rings lately. The bigger the beach, the hotter the weather, the more crowded it is, the more activity, people staying late and partying and drinking too much so they don't even realize when they have lost something, all make a difference in your chances.
Makes sense at the salt beach. Huge area, throngs of people, etc. The sifters are a sad fact of life - now there is the job to have. Sifter driver!
It could be that the gold people DO lose is quality, because they refuse to send it to the melters. There may less of it, or fewer low grade pieces. But the quality may make up for it. Now, figure out where those sifters go and blow them up!

Dahut if ya have a qiuck scan thorugh the forum you'll see some people seem to find gold on a quite regular bases i think it all boils down to if you only dig lots of gold sounding signals/junk with a suitable detector & have a good site reading ability the chances of finding gold are quite high.
the same goes for old silver coins just pop over to the explorer forum plenty of silver coming outta the ground - right frame of mind + right detector + site reading skills = old silver.
by the way great to talk to ya again :) i've been having a break from detecting as well but have started getting the treasure itch again.
lazy

lazyaussie said:
Dahut if ya have a qiuck scan thorugh the forum you'll see some people seem to find gold on a quite regular bases i think it all boils down to if you only dig lots of gold sounding signals/junk with a suitable detector & have a good site reading ability the chances of finding gold are quite high.
the same goes for old silver coins just pop over to the explorer forum plenty of silver coming outta the ground - right frame of mind + right detector + site reading skills = old silver.
by the way great to talk to ya again :) i've been having a break from detecting as well but have started getting the treasure itch again.
lazy
Of course, I was just speculatin'. I reckon they'll outlaw detecting before gold jewelry goes extinct.