Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will Minelab repair the Original Excalibur?

otlew

Really two questions,

1. If you have the old Excalibur with sword logo can it be repaired at Minelab? I seem to remember reading it cannot be.

2. Can you use the modern Tornado coils with this older Excalibur?

Thanks,

and here is a letter from Minelab that someone put on the forum.

Thanks Mel,

That's pretty plain, if they have the parts yes, if they don't no. Fair enough.

In essence , they are saying that they MIGHT be able to fix your original Excal .....I agree with Critter ....Their letter says nothing definitive ..... Jim

Get your eyes off of that old machine !!......You've got enough problems with Minelab repairs !!..... Those old Excals have been floating around the forums like nobody's business of late ......Do you ever ask yourself WHY ? ....... If you can fix it yourself , buy one ......If you can't , walk away unless the seller will give you a warranty on it !!.....Jim

Just wondering, if they are worth the effort. Seems the newer ones have problems.

synthnut said:
In essence , they are saying that they MIGHT be able to fix your original Excal .....I agree with Critter ....Their letter says nothing definitive ..... Jim

Get your eyes off of that old machine !!......You've got enough problems with Minelab repairs !!..... Those old Excals have been floating around the forums like nobody's business of late ......Do you ever ask yourself WHY ? ....... If you can fix it yourself , buy one ......If you can't , walk away unless the seller will give you a warranty on it !!.....Jim

otlew said:
Just wondering, if they are worth the effort. Seems the newer ones have problems.

synthnut said:

How is this for a problem for a newer one? 1 of 3 today 2 gold 1 junker

How about this... send in your machine and they will convince you to buy a new one because there isn't any parts for any of them. Instead of telling you now that there isn't any parts,,, they will lure you in for you to think they will fix it Just my opinion

marbien said:
How about this... send in your machine and they will convince you to buy a new one because there isn't any parts for any of them. Instead of telling you now that there isn't any parts,,, they will lure you in for you to think they will fix it Just my opinion
Does the Ford dealer stock parts for the model T?

erikk said:
marbien said:
:rofl::rofl::thumbup: Great example!

Let's see your analogy is comparing an almost 100 year old vehicle with a 13 year old detector. Hmmmm, I will check with Ford.

erikk said:
marbien said:

How many will you find on the 40+ days if its at the Minelab repair facility? Better yet ask those who have had to do just that, shouldn't be hard, there seem to be plenty of people who fit the description around here.

erikk said:
otlew said:

synthnut said:

otlew said:
Thanks Mel,

That's pretty plain, if they have the parts yes, if they don't no. Fair enough.

absolutely, and a call to them about the problem your having would probably help in your decision to fix or not.

yes the tornado coils will work on it.

otlew said:
Let's see your analogy is comparing an almost 100 year old vehicle with a 13 year old detector. Hmmmm, I will check with Ford.

erikk said:
marbien said:

Then just buy the Sword and HUNT and stop worrying about IF's and surveys
All the speculation in the world isn't going to give you an answer until it breaks and you find out for sure YES OR NO

Well, I don't make that many snap decisions, and since the older Excalibur is highly sought after by many old time hunters, a thinking man asks himself why.

The survey is for Minelab's benefit, and ultimately everyone who buys one in the future, hopefully. At the cost of these machines, they should be rugged and durable, in other words not easily broken. Maybe we will see an Excalibur II A model.

Yea but you can get parts for a 13 year old car. Even after market companies make many parts for an older car and not just the auto maker. A 13 year old detector should have all the parts available for it IMO.

That letter from Minelab is like the weather man telling you you have a 50/50 chance for rain or sunshine today. What good is that? How about a general run down of what parts on what machines are no longer available to give people an idea of what they probably can get fixed. Seems the market is ripe for a third party to start doing repairs on these machines. I caught a blurb somewhere on here about somebody even building an injection molder so they could make end caps for the Excal.

What also blows my mind is that blurb elsewhere about Minelab not letting techs or x-techs go on the forums. What is this, Iran? Think of all the good performance info they could pass along to users of their products. If I owned a detector company I'd want all my employes surfing the net and offering help/insight to the users out there. I'd even make it part of their job requirement. Since when is keeping a lid on solid information about the product you make a good thing? Makes no sense to me, but then mounting a meter on the GT where you can't see it and having no remote PP switch also seems link a total lack of common sense as well. That would be like Ford making Mustang GTs and then putting tires on them that shouldn't be used past 55 miles an hour, or selling the cars only in pink. Minelab has done the same thing with the Sovereign. They made a spectacular machine in every other respect but just had to put two bone headed design flaws into the hardware.

otlew said:
Well, I don't make that many snap decisions, and since the older Excalibur is highly sought after by many old time hunters, a thinking man asks himself why.

The survey is for Minelab's benefit, and ultimately everyone who buys one in the future, hopefully. At the cost of these machines, they should be rugged and durable, in other words not easily broken. Maybe we will see an Excalibur II A model.

One reason may be the price of an older model, Just like some people try to build a water scoop to save a few $ and eventually most realize that it doesn't work as good as the commercial ones. Rugged and durable??? I hunt my machines 4-6 days a week 365 and they do pretty well for me, of course I take care of my detectors.
If you really think Minelab is going to make any major changes because of a survey I need some of what you are smoking.
Bottom line for me -I Like my excals JUST THE WAY THEY ARE. For ones that don't. why not just buy another brand and be happy

otlew said:
How many will you find on the 40+ days if its at the Minelab repair facility? Better yet ask those who have had to do just that, shouldn't be hard, there seem to be plenty of people who fit the description around here.

Well I guess I will find just as many as luck will allow during the 40+ days of repair since I have 2 others along with an Infinium LS, Sea Hunter MK2 and a Beach Hunter 300 and I will be spending most of my time hunting and not taking surveys:clap::clap:

erikk said:
otlew said:

synthnut said:

First,

The topic/question of this thread was answered long ago by Mel. So as far as I am concerned it should be closed. Do I think Minelab will change anything because of a survey of problems? No.

They see these problems in their repair facility constantly. If they didn't have a backlog, repairs would probably be made and the detectors returned much faster, but in business this is called a profit center. So why fix it, there are plenty who will to endure the wait, for whatever reason. The comment about the Excalibur II Model A was meant as a joke.

So to all who responded to the actual question asked here, thank you.

erikk said:
otlew said:

One reason may be the price of an older model, Just like some people try to build a water scoop to save a few $ and eventually most realize that it doesn't work as good as the commercial ones. Rugged and durable??? I hunt my machines 4-6 days a week 365 and they do pretty well for me, of course I take care of my detectors.
If you really think Minelab is going to make any major changes because of a survey I need some of what you are smoking.
Bottom line for me -I Like my excals JUST THE WAY THEY ARE. For ones that don't. why not just buy another brand and be happy