Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wireless, Rechargeable, Headphones

Alan Applegate

Besides my detector hobby of long standing (since 1964), I'm an amateur radio operator, and primarily operate from my vehicle (http://www.k0bg.com). I've been handsfree for about two years, and not having a microphone and/or headset cord dangling is a godsend. In an effort to become cordless with my metal detecting, I purchased a wireless headphone setup from Radio Shack (part number 33-1253). After using it for a couple of days, I have a comment or two for those who might stumble onto the headphones.

I'm using the unit with a Garrett Ace250, which doesn't have a volume control. On some finds, the audio from the Ace is too hot, and overloads the transmitter. This causes the audio to break up (sound scratchy). I already had an external volume control (RS 42-2559), and that fixed the problem.

The other issue is the headphone design; it's a behind-the-head design with clips that fit over your ears. If you wear glasses, this fact can be bothersome after several hours of use.

While the setup frees me of the cord, and it does work very well, I'd still like to find an over-the-ear design, but haven't been successful. Further, the input to the transmitter is a fold out miniature 3.5 mm plug, which to me could be a failure point, especially if you plug it directly into the Ace without the volume control cable.

If there's anyone who uses, or knows of a similar model, I'd be happy to hear your comments about it.

Thanks for providing the part numbers Alan. I am thinking of following your lead and going the wireless route also.
Got a question for you though........is all the add-on's just plug in connections or did you have to do any sodering?
On a good day I can plug something in but that is my electrical limits.

No soldering! It just plugs in. After using the cord with the volume control for a day, I searched for a day without it, and adjusted the volume using the control on the headphone. Except for an occasional overload, it works fine. Again, I'm a little leery about the way it connects, but perhaps I'm being to cautious.

I have used this same Radio Shack rig on my 1500 for about 6 months now. It's great to "loose" the wire. My main problem is same as yours. The ear mount phones are very uncomfortable. Although the sound quality is not quite a good as my cheap full size wired phones, I still use them. I am sort of a "tinkerer". I have wondered if one might take the guts out of a set of full sized phones, then cut the ear hangers off the wireless ones then put them inside the full sized ones.
This sounds pretty crazy, then I wonder........
Al

I have been wanting to go wireless wt the ace also, great thread. Can you show pics and about what did all that cost?I'm interested in what that transmitter looks like.

I looked wireless headsets up on the web a week ago. What I seen was not good. Either really expensive and bulky or just not applicable with a metal detector.

Here's the URL to the on-line photo and specs. It doesn't show the transmitter. It's just 2.5x1.5x.5, and weighs about an ounce. I paid $64.99 at our local RS. It comes with the charger, a charger hub with dongles which plug into the two units. I just happen to have a mobile charger for my wireless headset I use for my amateur gear, and it works with the units too.

All told, I've used the units for about 8 hours. When I recharged them, it took less than a hour. I suspect the reason the life is so much better than that advertised, has to do with the low duty cycle. I'm sure the life would be close to the 7 to 8 hours, if you played music through them.

Alan, K

I sometimes use a cordless, rechargable headset with my Ace 250.
I wrote a few comments and showed some pics on an earlier post.

Here's a link:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,884652

I bought a set out of Canada that works good. I'll see if I can dig up their email address. They're about fifty a pop.

Bill

I've been recommending those for close to 3 years now. I agree about them making your ears sore if you were glasses. I was thinking this winter of attaching the receiver to a better headset and connecting it to the speakers. The flip out connector can cause trouble. I suggest a short cord so you can secure the transmitter solid to the head. Plus buying the $5 a year full replacement warranty is a good move too.

I tryed a set one time from Spann Solutions (I think). I know they were in Canada. Don't have any more info at present. Be fore I ordered them, I asked around and recall Uncle Willie's comment that they worked well on his 250. However they did not work well on my 1500. As I recall all I could hear was just a dull humming sound. It could have been something I was doing wrong, but they were pretty simple to hook up so I don't know. I now use the radio shack model and they work pretty good except as mentioned earlier they are a pain on the ears.
Al