Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wish Tesoro would make some vintage machines again

I was looking on Tesoros website yesterday and today under the manuals section and thinking of the models from the past that are so hard to find. Some are in larger supply than others and some are as hard to find as that priceless treasure in the trashiest of ground. I bet every Tesoro owner wishes they could own at least one vintage machine that may be hard to find. The one that has been eating at me for 2 years to find has been the Tesoro Pirahna. It is an older water machine, kind of like the sting ray, but not as high tech. I guess if I don't find it I can be content in knowing that I own 3 amazing Tesoros, the Eldorado Umax, Bandido II Umax and the Compadre. I think Tesoro would get a huge response of people wanting to buy the older machines if they released them again, or maybe I am wrong and just wishing they would make it possible for me to own some older, harder to find Tesoro detectors. HH

I hear what you are saying Dd, and if Tesoro still had in stock some of their older models, there are one or two that I would be interested in getting (re-getting). I've been using Tesoros now for about 14 years, and although there are good detectors from other manufacturers, none of them are quite like a Tesoro.:yo:

I hear you , seems like something is missing on most models, now like a GB or ED180 would like the shadow x series back or the tiger in a lite wight housing , take the Vaquero I was a bit disappointed with the ED 120 that made me have to switch to all metal or Tejan I like its deep seeking hot power and the ED 180 but i don't like the 17.2 KHZ its like they miss one thing , somewhere on most models, that is just my honest observation. but i do like the detectors for what i can get its better than nothing .

:cool: I agree with you Dirtdigger . The older models were really cool. Just a thought...if they bring back the old models,..then the old models would cease to be special and hard to find,... thus making them common again. I would not want them to re-produce my 1966 Ford Fairlane GT 390. :cheers:

Dirtdigger33 I agree with you on some of the older models.I think sometimes when Tesoro comes out with a new model, to fix a issue that someone doesn't like they fix it but then change some thing else that should have left alone !!! I have a 25 year old Sting-ray its not perfect, but at lest the sensitivity knob is on the front panel where it should but the gb is on the inside so when the Sting-ray 2 and Tiger-shark came out they put the GB on the outside and the sensitivity knob inside the housing:rage: my old stingray will still keep up with the newer tiger shark on thin gold chains ,I just wish the GB was on the outside because when you're up to your chin in water:rant:.
The Tesoro Pirahna on the other hand was a PI unit that was not as good as the newer Sand shark which took its place:yo:

Bringing back older models is not unrealistic as VLF technology is as good as it's gonna get for now. Yea we have some microprocessors and fancy displays, some better coils, and lighter detectors, but in the end it is still VLF. I have said this before and I will say it again- the best VLF detectors are already being made. The trend now seems to be making detectors that are the better suited for an individual detecting task instead of a do all detector. For the most part the new digital gadgetry is just that- digital gadgetry. The one advantage of the new microprocessor based detectors is the ability of a program to fine tune signals or control what we see and hear. In the end though are they any better? Can they tell the difference between a gold ring and a piece of trash? Do they get fooled by large metal? There is nothing wrong with analog or analog/digital mix circuitry. In the end your ears and brain along with some experience are just as good if not better.

In my opinion Tesoro doesn't need a new fangled detector that is just another VLF. They could simply make us all happier (we are already happy) by possible adding some tweaks or tones to existing detectors. There have been numerous post throughout the forum by an operator saying it would be nice to just ad this or that feature to an existing detector. For me at least, I would rather have this than a new fangled detector.

I work on high tech electronics all day and when it is time to relax and go detecting I like simple and effective without spending an arm and a leg. In my opinion this is where Tesoro flat out excels. Some people like displays and a gazillion tones, but for me Tesoro is all I need and want. As long as they make detectors, I will be buying them- faithfully.

I liked the Bandido though Bandido II µMax they got better and better, then they came out with the Eldorado µMax I liked it more because it had a frequency shift switch so ,then comes the Outlaw with no frequency shift :shrug:.I still think that Tesoro makes good units but I don't know why they sometime make two steps forward and one step back I hope they get it right with the new Caz. There will always be people that you can not make happy no matter what you do.So then they have to find a good used older unit with features that they like

rainy you are right about we are just about as far as we can can go with vlf.When I first started detecting in the mid 70' with a bfo unit the old timers told me then that I was wasting my time they had found it all. Then as technology got better and I stared upgrading my MD's and finding the goodies they left behind.But by the early to med 90's no matter how much I would up grade there was not that much improvement in depth or finds the detectors just got more features and fancier.
PS
If you click on my user name you will see some of the detectors I have had and I still have ,but I have not found the perfect one yet sill looking

I use 2 early Tesoro machines and they are very good at what they do especially on really trashy roman sites and also detecting foreshores,but i am afraid technolology changes over time but i certainly would not like to turn the clock back to old technology again.Of course all detector makers have made some real classics over the years but also some future classics are being made today as well.

I do own some very classic nostalgic detectors and during the year i bring them out to play just basically for the nostagic reasons and nothing else,the trouble is at the moment Tesoro are struggling to bring out future classic without bring vintage machines again.

Myself i love collecting some of the old classics and also going down the detecting memory lane but i much prefer using modern detecting machines far better,of course this is only my personal opinion.

havent they always made vintage machines ?? )))
new models are ancient

Wait until you need service on that Dues............... LOL

Just usef my Eldorado uMax for the first time today. I've been relic hunting in Virginia since 1962 and have used everything from surplus Army detector to Fisher T10 to Double Eagle to Metrotech to Wilson R&C,to my current newer detectors (Fisher 1260,1265,1266,1270 White MXT, Tesoro Outlaw and Compadre, Garrett Grandmaster and Grandmaster 3 and powermaster 1000) and I must say the Eldorado may now be my favorite detector. That Eldorado ia GOOD!!!! Every feature I want including the 180 circuit and GB. Why in hell doesn't Tesoro bring it back?????

Dirtdigger33 said:
I was looking on Tesoros website yesterday and today under the manuals section and thinking of the models from the past that are so hard to find. Some are in larger supply than others and some are as hard to find as that priceless treasure in the trashiest of ground. I bet every Tesoro owner wishes they could own at least one vintage machine that may be hard to find. The one that has been eating at me for 2 years to find has been the Tesoro Pirahna. It is an older water machine, kind of like the sting ray, but not as high tech. I guess if I don't find it I can be content in knowing that I own 3 amazing Tesoros, the Eldorado Umax, Bandido II Umax and the Compadre. I think Tesoro would get a huge response of people wanting to buy the older machines if they released them again, or maybe I am wrong and just wishing they would make it possible for me to own some older, harder to find Tesoro detectors. HH
They did, sorta, with the Outlaw. Wasn't the Outlaw a remake of an older machine?

I wish Tesoro would re-make the Pentera. Keep all the features but give it just a little more depth, or just make it as it was... But make it. I have been looking for a good used one for a long time. I posted recently in the for sale/want to buy thread of this forum, but no luck. I guess it is a hard detector to find. Sure wish I could get my hands on one!

I feel your pain hihosilver I have been looking for a pihrana on and off for 2 years now. The last posts I see about the Tesoro pihrana are in 2010. I hope you find your pantera. It has been a while since I have seen one for sale. I guess when we do find our respective machines it will be a sweet victory. Good luck and HH

I'd love to see the Silver Turtle revised. then again. They already have the tiger shark. it's always a wishful thought tho to see a really neat fresh water unit be revised. . Some times you still see the silver turtle make an appearence on ebay. Was a Royal asaber in a water tight box. With chest strap.

Worked really well on finding the rings.

Its gonna be hard for any mfg to attempt a Pro Killer, not to say they should'nt try...they would need to read the posts and build something around a few of the Pro's weak points...take all of the good and lose the bad...theres still a bit of running room on this concept...increase the depth capability to 50', toss in a few more tones, if its gonna have a screen, make it BIG, keep it simple, turn on and go, fast recovery, light, burn 4 AA's or rechargeables built into the shaft type system...price it around $600...dreaming here..
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Its gonna be hard for any mfg to attempt a Pro Killer, not to say they should'nt try...they would need to read the posts and build something around a few of the Pro's weak points...take all of the good and lose the bad...theres still a bit of running room on this concept...increase the depth capability to 50', toss in a few more tones, if its gonna have a screen, make it BIG, keep it simple, turn on and go, fast recovery, light, burn 4 AA's or rechargeables built into the shaft type system...price it around $600...dreaming here..
Mud

Mine works great at finding stuff! I have a LONG list of things that the original manufacturer needs to address. Maybe they'll read the posts and do better. If they would turn it into a land detector only and have it balance like a G2 or Omega using a larger search coil then I'd be taking a strong look at buying one. I don't do detecting in the water, but if I did, I would have a dedicated detector for water use only and another detector for land use only. Having one detector to do both is a compromise in design.

tabman