Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wobbly coil

Natedogg

Greetings fellow Equinox users. So here is my predicament. Usually after two or three beach trips my coil starts wobbling, flopping around. I have replaced the coil bolt on multiple occasions only to encounter the problem again. It's very frustrating, and I don't have this issue with any of my other detectors. Also I find the fasteners hard to grip and turn after a while. I rinse my detector after each beach trip. Has anyone used any alternative nut and bolt from maybe home depot that worked better. I appreciate anyone's input.

STOP !. you are about to break the coil ears.
If you try to tighten it up you will be at the breaking point of the ears.
Try this first.
first look at the bolt threads and see if they are stripped away.
Next loosen the bolt really loose and then grab the coil from the bottom and see if you can lightly wiggle ( twist) like a clock.
if it dose that the teardrop rubber bushing is too thin.
I copy and past.
Ears
If some tightens the bolt to tight (snap! If someone used the coil to move debris (snap! . If someone used the Nox as a cane to get up (snap!.
If you look at the ears and they are bending inward then it’s too tight.
If you have the bolt really loose and wiggle the coil and it wiggles do this.
Take a one gallon plastic milk jug and make spacers the same a size the rubber tier drop washers and place them behind the washers. But when you do do that you will have to put some silicon lubercsnt on the shaft to get it back in between then ears..
It will slip in easily but no lubricant good luck.
Doing that they are not seen and the wobble is gone and you do not have to tighten the bolt so tight.
Doug

How did you replace just the ears.
IMO. Minelab made a mistake on tolerances and that Is why I suggest the milk bottle spacers , behind, the teardrop rubber washers “Inside the shaft and the teardrop rubber holds them in place.
they seem to be the perfect thickness.
Doug

Thanks Doug, already had to replace the coil ears. Will try your suggestions.

I am not a fan of the Minelab bolt. It can hold up to a tablespoon of sand/dirt. I use a 5/16 Nylon bolt. It will need to be double nutted to lock it in.
Also as Doug stated, shim into your coil ears with something [i use rubber fender washers.]

I am not a fan of the Minelab bolt. It can hold up to a tablespoon of sand/dirt. I use a 5/16 Nylon bolt. It will need to be double nutted to lock it in.
Also as Doug stated, shim into your coil ears with something [i use rubber fender washers.]
Rubber grommets, anything rubber! Mostly everything mounted on a motorcycle is mounted in rubber. The vibration is crucial, and with the Minelab I have always been concerned about the craftsmanship. Mainly the material appears to be subjected to incremental changes from the weather. I first noticed this with my LNB holder on my satellite dish. Certain plastic suffers from weather changes. Although, the LNB does nothing but hold the LNB the incremental weather changes destroys the plastic. Perhaps, there is some treatment for the plastic?

How did you replace just the ears.
IMO. Minelab made a mistake on tolerances and that Is why I suggest the milk bottle spacers , behind, the teardrop rubber washers “Inside the shaft and the teardrop rubber holds them in place.
they seem to be the perfect thickness.
Doug
I contacted Minelab and they replaced the coil. You would think they would have correct the issue, and made thicker coil ears. I have read in the forums of many others having the same issue. And I'm sure they just scrap the deffective coils.

I'm not a can of the bolt either, and the fastener is hard to grip, and easy to over tighten and get stripped. I purchased a coil stiffener that has a thicker mold, but I replaced the stock shaft with a carbon fiber rod and the coil stiffener isn't a perfect fit, and the bolt length is now to short. @$#!

I'm not a can of the bolt either, and the fastener is hard to grip, and easy to over tighten and get stripped. I purchased a coil stiffener that has a thicker mold, but I replaced the stock shaft with a carbon fiber rod and the coil stiffener isn't a perfect fit, and the bolt length is now to short. @$#!
If you have some clearance issues with the coil stiffener do a little shaping with a Dremel tool. I had to with one of my coil projects. Yes the bolt will be short. Try to head to a larger hardware store. The nylon bolts are in the specialty cases. Don't forget enough length for the double nut!

Rubber grommets, anything rubber! Mostly everything mounted on a motorcycle is mounted in rubber. The vibration is crucial, and with the Minelab I have always been concerned about the craftsmanship. Mainly the material appears to be subjected to incremental changes from the weather. I first noticed this with my LNB holder on my satellite dish. Certain plastic suffers from weather changes. Although, the LNB does nothing but hold the LNB the incremental weather changes destroys the plastic. Perhaps, there is some treatment for the plastic?
Thanks for the info, will try these suggestions. The detector itself is great and performs really well, just a few designer flaws. Only other issue is sand accumulation under the coil cover. Thanks

If you have some clearance issues with the coil stiffener do a little shaping with a Dremel tool. I had to with one of my coil projects. Yes the bolt will be short. Try to head to a larger hardware store. The nylon bolts are in the specialty cases. Don't forget enough length for the double nut!
Thanks will do that. Do you recall the size and thickness of the nylon bolt offhand.

Thanks will do that. Do you recall the size and thickness of the nylon bolt offhand.

The bolt is 5/16, your length is right on the edge. Either 2" or 2 1/2. Depending on washer thickness? Get the 2 1/2 you can always cut a little off.

Thanks for the info, will try these suggestions. The detector itself is great and performs really well, just a few designer flaws. Only other issue is sand accumulation under the coil cover. Thanks
Have you noticed on some youtube channels the user places electrical tape around the circumference of the coil? This is to circumvent anything getting in under the coil area.
Leatherneck,