Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woodchiphustler or any other button experts?

samandnoah

Hey there --

Was out metal detecting today along a creek (here in Austin, TX), and found my first button. Found it somewhere between 4" - 6" deep, and if memory serves, it rang up right around a copper penny or dime. It is a Scovill Mfg button, has a lined field, a rope border, and star in the middle. It also has the letters "T C H" on it. When I Googled images, I couldn't find any exactly like it. The closest was one that looked almost the same, but it says "TEXAN" around the edge instead of "T C H".

Any ideas on what it could be from? Does "H" regularly show up on buttons? The "T C" part could be Travis County (or perhaps Texas Cavalry). Or...?

Further down the creek is a known civil war encampment, as well as one just after the civil war. I want to believe it dates that far back, but my gut says it looks too good to be that old (at least relative to what happens to coils around here that are only 40 years old). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Rich

I have no idea why, when I put the letters TCH in quotation marks with spaces btw the letters that it turned into something that looks like an expletive! Anyhow, I can't edit the post at this point, so clarifying here that all it said was TCH (in quotations marks, and with spaces btw the letters :) ).

So let me repost the text as intended:

Hey there --

Was out metal detecting today along a creek (here in Austin, TX), and found my first button. Found it somewhere between 4" - 6" deep, and if memory serves, it rang up right around a copper penny or dime. It is a Scovill Mfg button, has a lined field, a rope border, and star in the middle. It also has the letters TCH on it. When I Googled images, I couldn't find any exactly like it. The closest was one that looked almost the same, but it says "TEXAN" around the edge instead of TCH.

Any ideas on what it could be from? Does "H" regularly show up on buttons? The TC part could be Travis County (or perhaps Texas Cavalry). Or...?

Further down the creek is a known civil war encampment, as well as one just after the civil war. I want to believe it dates that far back, but my gut says it looks too good to be that old (at least relative to what happens to coils around here that are only 40 years old). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Rich

Could be a number of things. College, Military Institute? The Texas Buttons I dug have New Orleans back marks ( Hyde and Goodrich) Most say Texas or Republic of Texas or a plain star. Mississippi also uses the star motif. Go to the treasure depot web site . Larry Cisna may be able to help you. Regards

Your welcome. The back mark will help date the button . Many Scoville variants.