Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woods hunting advise..........

oldranger

I was supposed to :detecting: yesterday with a guy
whos experienced in huntig woods... but he had to
cancel so i went on my own

GTI1500 std coil jewlery mode
I got a LOT of targets sized D and E and
12 + inches down ... but nothing that indicated
older coins or jewerly .. i had no idea what to
dig or not ...........so the score for the day was
zero.. most of the targets read as junk on the
upper scale.......was it REALLY junk??? ...
Question? Did i miss good stuff by not digging
more targets? Kinda crazy question i know but id like to
be better prepared next time........so any advise or tips will be
much appreciated

One good thing ..even tho i still fillled the holes i didnt
have to be as neat and tidy ! THAT was worth the effort
for a change

Thanks in advance for any info

Ron

HH

Rangers Lead The Way :usaflag::usaa:

Could have been junk or maybe an old ax head. Never know unless you dig. Make a long probe and poke it to get an idea. We do that for woods hunting, and take a big shovel. My one hunting buddy has 3 double bit ax heads so far.

John

I went to a woods dug a lot of ammo brass & 1 penny. Went to another and found more brass some junk & 1 silver medalion. Ya never know. A small light mattok with abt a 2 &a half ft handle works pretty good in soft soil.

How are you making your decision of where to hunt in the woods. Is it from research or near old home place?

I've got some dandy finds out of the woods, OLD 44-40 casings, brass livestock vaccination instruments, old gun parts from hunters-decades past=I DIG EM ALL, grandfather clock parts, steel loggers shoe, DIGEM!!!!!!!:twodetecting:

Thanks for all the great advise i Knew i could count
on this forum to amswer Twilli the woods are the
same onesi ran aorund in as a kid ........... i hunted
near what used yo be an old dump... im SURE now
that i should have dug more targets... well thats why
im here to Learn!!!

Keep the advise comin I appreciate it

Ron

Rangers Lead The Way :usaflag::usaa:

When I'm using the GTI-2500 a lot of metal rings up as E targets and it's usually large pieces of metal or around old houses metal pipe comes in as an E. Most times D targets are beer cans or vienna sausage cans. I found a rusted out syrup can once. Lots of kids these days don't remember how good the syrup was in those cans back in the early 1950's. The oil sausage in a can was good when I was a boy, but not fit to eat now and most of the syrup has been cut with high fructose corn syrup. I found what I believe was a plow point a few weeks ago near this old house and it really sounded off good and loud, but I dug it anyway hoping there might be some coins hidden beneath it. It came up as an E target and you never know when you might miss a cache so I dig most everything. Even if it shows iron because it was common practice for people who hid stuff to conceal it in junk metal and even gear boxes on old wind mills.
One man hid his money on the top of fence posts. Everytime he got a $50 or $100 dollar bill, he would go to a fence post and put it on top of the post and put a can over the post and nail it down and a long time after he died someone looked under one of the cans and found the money. It was common practice to put cans over the posts to protect them from rain and rotting and nobody ever suspected he had a fortune concealed in plain sight.