Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woodsin' it

square_nail

What do you do when your favorite woods get hit by a tornado and are all but impenetrable?

20140823_122256.jpg

Well, you carry on of course. You're a Tesoro owner. That little machine of yours has never quit on you, so why should you?

20140823_125102.jpg

Even if it hurts a little.

20140823_122312.jpg

..or gets a little weird.

20140823_160623.jpg

And after persevering, you might find where someone purposely placed white rocks in a stone wall.

20140823_124557.jpg

This could be the big one. Why else would a farmer place those white rocks there. What could they be marking?

Unfortunately, whatever was there is long gone now...

...and It takes a good half hour's work in the hot sun to put the stone wall back to somewhat like it looked before you dismantled it and swung your coil around.

It was a hard day's work for a crusty old indian, a few relics and the ubiquitous shotgun brass...

20140823_174658.jpg

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/mountain2river/20140823_201254.jpg

but you can smile knowing you gave it your all.

Happy hunting everyone.

:)

Hi square nail, whacha gona do? Be thankful that it was only one tornado, because you have likely only a fairly small amount of your woods destroyed. Here in S.Ms. for miles inland from the Gulf, along with Katrina's storm surge and wind, there were 100's of tornados. There are hundreds of miles of woods that simply are no more. It looks like the woods were carpet bombed with only a few remaining dead trees standing all alone for miles. Any "cleanup" adds waist deep skidder ruts and wallows in every direction. Stump and log removal , when done , leaves stump holes big and deep enough to hide a VW Wagon, Figure that and with all the dead trees, rotting logs, stumps and treetops, the underbrush, briars, weeds, and vines slowly take hold and cover all of that mess with its tangle of mass vegetation looking like an unending carpet. It will be a hundred years before the forest rehabs itself and the topography is gone for ever. So much for the old home sites etc. ever being located, much less detected. I try and do my hunting 100 miles or so inland now where the woods are still damaged , but not nearly so much as near by. You are doing Good! HHCharlie

thats what it looked like in our woods after the loggers got thru , they where some real hacks, I know what you mean when you say impenetrable , its a nightmare to get thru when its like that . Glad to see you still found some good non Iron targets, that stone looks like dolomite limestone do you have limestone in the vicinity< I know the farmers used local materials mostly

Charlie, sorry to hear about the woods down your way. I can't imagine what it must be like. Only my favorite patch of woods got trashed around here. There's still plenty more left untouched. We usually escape the really bad weather events here in upstate NY (except blizzards), so this tornado was a shocker, but nothing like what you experienced along the Gulf Coast.

Gunnar, there's lots of limestone around here.