Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Woops ! I broke the law.

Dustyroundup

Yikes!
Last year we broke the law a few times I guess.

We buy the state recreational use permit, that is good for state lands, so we thought.

I am in the process of calling all the agencys involved , to get permission to detect for the upcoming summer.
I found out , that , the "recreational" use permit, that costs $20.00 is ONLY good for "DNRC" School trust lands.

State, "Fish Wildlife and Parks" are a whole other story, they said i can "HOVER" my detector above the ground, but I cant disturb the soil.
This includes fishing access sites, campgrounds and such.

The sad thing is, in 2 years I've spent $40.00 on that permit, and I dont even use DNRC ground.
And, I could have got in some trouble, while thinking I had permission.

I was told by FWP , 2 years ago, that i needed that permit. I guess I didnt ask "Precise Questions"

So much for detecting around the lake, or where people park and fish.

I am glad I decided to "Reaffirm" the rules and laws, or it could have been a mess.

Good Luck to you all,

Dusty

Consider yourself lucky despite the need for permit(s). In my state, metal detecting is NOT allowed in State Parks ?? Go figure !

CCH

Yes, you're very lucky you weren't busted, because ignorance of the law excuses no man. Thank goodness you know better now. $40 is a small fee to pay compared to what it could have been. Feel lucky. Thank you for your story and your honesty. It means a lot to some of us metal detecting people. HH, Nancy

I never have understood why "they" don't let people detect in places like that.I for one would gladly donate any finds of historic value back to them,seems like everyone would rather see the finds displayed,rather than not know if there even was something there.Besides that what good does it do to let things just rust away.

I checked with the parks dept. in Utah & they said that there was a permit required, so when I asked about getting it I was told all you have to do is pay the day use fee of $10. I was also told not to leave big holes all over the palce, not a problem I didn't find anything that required much more than a scoop of sand.

Well,
I was talking to the head of archaeology, with the DNRC. about rules on his ground.
and I told him about what FWP told me yesterday.
He said I needed to ask for the statute, as he thought it to be ridiculous. as campers and boaters disturb the ground every day.
Soo, I started calling the higher ups in FWP. I called one of the commissioners and he gave me the number for the
Warden Captain for region 3 in our state,and he said that I CAN , ANYWHERE on FWP ground, the law is strictly for "STATE PARKS"

Hmm,? the lady I talked to yesterday sure had me on the wrong page.

So, I guess, I wasnt breaking laws, and I guess the permission I got last year still holds true. NICE !

So, it payed to double check, as human error would have kept us from detecting around all those wonderful beer drinking spots, I mean fishing spots. LOL

It sure makes it hard though, as in this instance, the first person said no , and it turned out a yes.
What if I get a yes, then find out later, it was wrong.

How does a guy get through the human error aspect, to find the real laws? and be able to understand the laws?

but, I keep all names of people I talked to,with theyre phone numbers, with times and dates of conversations,in a little Tally book.
and the tally book will always be with me , just in case.

Good Luck to you all,
Dusty

A BIG thumbs up to you Dusty. And you've got yourself covered with what you said. Keep up the good detecting and HH, Nancy

Hi Dusty and all. I too have come across some stupid people here on the gold coast of FL. I used to go to the beach a lot. I was over at Ft Pierce, FL, one time and this woman told me I couldn't MD in the picnic area. So I asked her where all I could detect at and she said only on the beach and not on top of the dunes. I found out that she was only the gate keeper as when I went to the picnic area one of the maint. men working there asked if I had found anything and I told him what the woman had said. He said ignore her she doesn't know what she's talking about. I asked why? He said have her show you the statutes for FL parks. And I later tthat day did ask her. She said there were no statutes on it and I turned around and went back to the picnic area and started MDing and thte maint. guy again asked me if I had found anything and I told and showed him over a $ and a 1/2. I have been back there a few times and saw (watched)where little kids had their little shovels and big dumptrucks were digging holes in and around the whole area. But no one has said anything about MDing there since.need-less to say she preturbed me a lot, I've never seen her since. In my county tho, I can go most anywhere I want to go as long as I dont go places that are locked up, have no Tress. signs or on private property without first obtaining prior permission from the owner (I have only been turned down once doing that) Nuff said. Thanks for reading and HH KC :detecting:

Dusty,

I always figured you to be a law abiding citizen.... LOL. I'm glad you got it all straight. I keep a little book with names and phone #'s too. :thumbup: I bring it with me when I go MDting. That way, if I'm challenged regarding permission, I just pull it out on them.... no hestiation. Good luck.

CCH.