Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Worcester, MA - Elm Park -

Andrus(ut)

Just wondering if anybody has ever hunted Elm Park? Is it off limits to detecting? or still open with no problems? If anybody has hunted it, do you think it is hunted out?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks - Andrus(ut)

I graduated from high school in Worcester. Where is Elm Park? I guess the thing to do would be to contact the Parks Dept. or city hall? I wish I had been in the hobby back then, Massachusetts is a treasure trove of history. My hometown of Framingham was incorporated in 1700.

I've got a number of old maps of Worcester on my site.
I'm also in the processes of taking names off of the old maps and putting them into a database which can be searched, (so you could enter "Elm Park" and see it on an old map),
but I haven't put the Worcester names into the database yet.

Hey Kirk my friend!!

I moved from Fall River to Cape Cod, so after I clean out the surrounding parks and so on, I'll invite you down for my "leftovers"!!!

Seriously, I did move and don't know anything about that park in Worcester, but after the snow goes away, my girlfriend is going to take me around to find the old parks, and there are plenty I'm told, so if you guys come east this year, we are hooking up for sure!!

Take care buddy!

Jeff

I think there were no problem hunting on Elm Park. Never heard of any decree or rules that prohibited hunting on Elm Park.

Check this few interesting facts of Elm Park quoted on there website;

March 1854, Elm Park was purchased as a "new common," putting the city, together with Hartford and New York, at the forefront of the urban parks movement in the United States.
The "Commission of Public Grounds" that was appointed in 1863 did almost nothing for 7 years. Its most significant act was probably naming the "new common" Elm Park. Twice it pleaded for a $10,000 donation to properly drain the 28 acres of lowland. The commission raised money by selling hay and apples from the undeveloped park, renting it to the agricultural society, to circuses and caravans, and to farmers for pasture.

Upon becoming the head of the Parks Commission in 1870, Edward Winslow Lincoln found he had little to rule. At that time Worcester's parkland consisted of an "unsightly" eight-acre Common and a larger twenty acre tract known as Elm Park.

Elm Park primarily served as a dumping ground for the Highway Department... "[and] the casual job-wagon or wheelbarrow."

In 1875 Commissioner, Lincoln, had become seemingly annoyed with the negative impact of circuses on Elm park. He lobbied the commission to pass an ordinance banishing them permanently from the park.

In 1876, Lincoln petitioned for police patrol of the park, declaring, "this Commission will exact and enforce that decent behavior from all who frequent the Public Grounds, which is not only seemly in but is rightfully expected by the community."

In January 1884, 231 members of Worcester's west-side elite, petitioned the City Council to purchase Newton Hill, a sixty acre tract adjoining Elm Park. Their motivation, however, was not entirely aesthetic or recreational. They also saw Newton Hill as an ideal spot for a reservoir that would provide fire protection for their fashionable West Side homes. Pressure by a retaliatory east side "working class" group thwarted their effort, and caused their petition to be put on hold. A revenge tactic stemmed from the earlier defeat of their own efforts to secure parkland for their constituents.

This is the right stance to take: If there is nothing specifically prohibiting detecting in the rules (check for yourself at the city-website, which usually lists muni codes), then assume you can. No need to ask. If it's silent on the issue of detecting, then so be it. In much the same way you wouldn't think you need to "ask" if you can fly a frisbee, if there is nothing prohibiting it. So long as you are leaving no trace, and aren't tromping over people's beach blankets, or being a nuisance in some other way. Just be discreet, go at low traffic times, etc... (so as not to invite the busy-bodies and kill-joys to b*tt in).

Sometimes asking leads to an auto "no".

Sometimes it leads to " Can you help my people try and find a weapon over near where a rape took place?"

It's all a matter of being up front and being polite. Getting to know the park superintendent and the park police officers has opened up a totally different relationship for me in one of the parks I go to occasionally.

Get permission if you can.