Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Worth going from Quattro to Safari?

ND Digger

Hi everyone- new to this form. I have been using the Quattro for 3 years and I like the machine, the depth is great, but the recovery time between targets is lacking. I was wondering if it's worth going from the Quattro to the Safari? Is the processor speed increase sufficient enough to make the change?

If the sites you hunt require a faster recovery time or for you to slow to a virtual standstill to hunt, then the faster recovery time can allow you to find more in a given period of time. While there are some subtle differences, the big ones between the Quattro and Safari are the new Pro coil and the faster recovery time. In some of the real trashy sites I have tried the two of them at, the Safari's recovery time is a noticeable difference.

Look at what you can sell yours for and what you can get a Safari for and see if the difference is worth it to you.

If you have any more questions in comparing the two, feel free to get back with me

Andy Sabisch

Thanks Andy, and by the way- I really enjoyed your book on Mastering the Quattro. I was hunting a private yard last summer and in the boulevard was several small trees staked down by metal fence posts. I went over the area with my Quattro and found nothing, but was having a lot of problems with it nulling out alot. I then went over the same area with my backup machine- a Garrett 750- and found two merc dimes within a couple feet of the posts. Do you think it was a problem of processor speed or that the Quattro had more power and was affected more by the posts?

Todd M.

The Quattro has a Double-D coil while the Garrett uses a concentric coil. I have found that it is easier to hunt around metal posts such as you described with a concentric coil . . . . walking around the post keeping it the same distance away allows you to hunt to the point you are almost touching the post with the coil. You can get close with a DD coil but it takes a bit more finesse to do it without causing the detector to null. Switching to a smaller coil such as the Detech (Excellerator) 5" or 6", the Coiltek Joey or even the Minelab 8" would also be better suited for hunting around these types of obstructions (including metal bleacher supports, chain link fences, etc.)

Hope this helps

Andy

recently gone to safari.still learning much about it but the more I use it the more it is beginning to look like a fantastic detector.Lots of varying signals to fathom out but as some users have been good to point out on here it is worth taking the time to get to know it.From what I am seeing if it says it is a coin then in all probability it is.Was surprised it went up to

Check out my short Youtube video . Search Minelab Safari recovery speed. Now do the same simple test with your Quattro. Best regards.

Thanks for the advice Woodchiphustler- I actually watched your video over the weekend and did just as you suggested. I tested the Quattro and my Garrett 750. Anyone looking for a nice used Quattro?

Hello all - Relative newbie - Been detecting about 6 months with a Safari. Now I know that air testing can have little relevance to actual ground performance - but I did an unscientific comparison between 3 coils at 4 different sensitives. This would have been a great test in a coin garden - but do not have the daylight time for that right now. Just was bored one night - and here's what i came up with.

Somewhat interesting at how the 3 coils perform at different sensitivity levels. 11" PRO Double D coil - 12"x10" SEF COIL - 8" Sun ray Stealth coil -

Air Testing US - quarter, dime, nickel, and penny at Auto, 12, 15, 18, sensitivity levels. All depths rounded DOWN to the nearest .5"

All measurements in inches - solid repeatable signal

I have used all of these coils in old yards - best luck with x-8 so far, but all are good - I find little difference between PRO and SEF Slight edge to SEF

-SUN RAY 8" STEALTH COIL -11 INCH DD PRO COIL -EXCELERATOR 12x10 SEF COIL

Auto - 12 - 15- 18 Auto - 12 - 15 - 18 Auto - 12 - 15 - 18

Quarter 7 7.5 8.5 10.5 9 9 11 12.5 9 9 10.5 12.5
Dime 6.5 7 8 10 8.5 8.5 10 11.5 8 8 9 11
Nickel 7.5 7.5 8.5 10 9 9 10.5 12.5 8.5 9 11 12.5
Penny 7 7.5 8.5 10 8.5 8.5 10.5 12.5 9 8.5 10.5 12.5

I know there is not a ton useful info to gain from air tests relative to expected performance in the ground - but this is an unresting chart that can compare the power output of the different coils in different sensitivities. I am really looking forward to trying the x-8 running on 15 in my yard. 15 seems to be the sweet spot for stability and depth in my yard after a noise cancel.