Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Would like to see another nail board test.

ohio fred

I would like to see Monte if he has time to do the nail board test.I have seen garrett one .Then on you tube seen one using Apex completely different result.Very interested in the apex .Just wondering about iron next to coins .Thanks.

"ohio fred": I would like to see Monte if he has time to do the nail board test.
I have all the time in the world, as long as I'm alive, and anyone can stop by my place, or join me in a hunt, and I can demonstrate the Apex & 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil, or any detector I or they have on my Nail Board Performance Test. I would say I am reasonably well versed in detector use and site coverage and field techniques, but one thing I am not skilled at or able to do is make a video. I don't have a camera, and I have never shot a video.

"ohio fred": I have seen garrett one .Then on you tube seen one using Apex completely different result.

Yes, they are different. The main ones you saw on YouTube were done using an Apex and Simplex +, then an Apex and F19, both by the same individual. The one done by Garrett was by Steve Moore. in both cases their intent was good. But there were two video problems and one manufacturers problem.

Video Problems: In both cases they were using a printed-out copy of the NBPT an they might not have been to the exact scale. That is especially true of the one done by Steve Moore at Garrett because looking at the video his printed out set-up appeared to be larger-size, and that would put the nails farther apart and it would mean more gap between the nails and the coin as well. That would allow more recovery-time after encountering the metal objects, and put less ferrous nail s under the search coil or in the more intense portion of the EMF.

Kind of funny but I had Garrett's phone number in my phone and my finger was an inch from pressing the 'call' button when I had an incoming phone call. I took it and it just happened to be from Andrew, the fellow who did the two YouTube videos. That was Friday afternoon and we talked for 1 Hr. 29+ Min. about the Nail Board and different makes and models out there, especially the new Garrett Apex, ground mineralization, etc. The instant we hung-up I called Garrett to talk with Steve Moore, but it appeared he was gone for the day. Maybe a Holiday weekend head start to go detecting?

However, I did leave a lengthy message to let him know I saw the video and appreciated him doing the test, but it appeared his printed-out test piece was not to scale. I also mentioned that I am enjoying the Apex as I evaluate it, and have worked it and the 6X11 DD coil on my NBPT with only 'fair' results. I did tell him that this coming Tuesday, tomorrow when the Post Office is open again, I will be mailing Steve / Garrett an 'official' NBPT 'kit' so they will have an actual NB that is made exactly-to-scale. If everyone uses such a test piece, all of the results we see them do can easily be duplicated by anyone using the same test sample and same detector & coil & settings.

I am also sending one to Andrew so he can re-do any of his own test comparisons. This week I'll also get with the sign maker I am using to make sure I check his layout prior to making me another one or two hundred NB's as they have to be exactly to scale. I have been using this test sample for over 26 years now ever since coming upon an 1880's Indian Head 1¢ laying on the ground and surrounded by the 4 Iron Nails of different sizes and orientations around the coin. I have sold a lot of NB kits during this past quarter-century and need to resupply.

Also, the reminder to anyone testing any detector and coils to make a complete left-to-right and right-to-left sweep of the center-axis of the search coil completely across the layout as if searching a site. THEN, if they get a good or questionable 'hit', they can make a slow 'wiggle-sweep' over the coin to isolate it. But to be an effective detector & coil combination for dense iron debris, it should be based on a reasonable and typical search-sweep encounter.

Also, the operator has to understand the detector's controls and proper settings and use.

Manufacturer Problem: For best performance in a dense Iron Nail contaminated site, like I encountered the nails and Indian Head in a ghost town, it is best to use a smaller-size search coil. The 'problem' here is that Garrett hasn't offered consumers and extra coil yet. I would like to see them bring out a smaller-size, round-shaped Concentric coil, or DD if they have to, that is 4½" to 5½" in diameter. Nothing bigger than 6" in diameter. Then we can see improved performance on the NB with the Apex and a proper coil size for tough environments..

"ohio fred": Very interested in the apex .Just wondering about iron next to coins .Thanks.
The only way to really know how the Apex will handle some tough challenges is to get the unit in-hand and do them yourself. The only other way is if everyone doing a product comparison is using the very same test scenario, such as my Nail Board. I have several test sample set-ups I use when I evaluate any detector, and I hunt in a lot of ferrous-challenged sites. I have 10 units in my current Team of Detectors that are all 'general purpose performers. For the toughest Iron Nail places, half of those detectors are easily up to the challenge, and the rest are better suited for my average urban Coin Hunting duty. I've been hunting old abandoned ghost towns since early May of 1969 and through all this time I have been well aware of what it takes to tackle nasty Iron Nail confrontations.

Monte

Monte, you subtly answered so many things for so many people in that post. Thanks for that. Your current rank of its performance on your test is “fair”. Ok, so we can safely say that at least a few other current models in the same price range will outperform APEX on your test using stock coils. Those would be the Simplex, the Time Ranger Pro(F19), and the Vanquish. And more models could be added to that list given its 425 msrp. The patriot (F70) comes to mind at 399. As a trade off we can assume that the apex will have scenarios where it fares much better than some machines I listed. But this main concern has been performance in iron. I hope someone gets it to do well, a big part of me wanted this to be my first Garrett machine... but I seek iron. The more the merrier for me.

"ohio fred": I would like to see Monte if he has time to do the nail board test.
I have all the time in the world, as long as I'm alive, and anyone can stop by my place, or join me in a hunt, and I can demonstrate the Apex & 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil, or any detector I or they have on my Nail Board Performance Test. I would say I am reasonably well versed in detector use and site coverage and field techniques, but one thing I am not skilled at or able to do is make a video. I don't have a camera, and I have never shot a video.

"ohio fred": I have seen garrett one .Then on you tube seen one using Apex completely different result.

Yes, they are different. The main ones you saw on YouTube were done using an Apex and Simplex +, then an Apex and F19, both by the same individual. The one done by Garrett was by Steve Moore. in both cases their intent was good. But there were two video problems and one manufacturers problem.

Video Problems: In both cases they were using a printed-out copy of the NBPT an they might not have been to the exact scale. That is especially true of the one done by Steve Moore at Garrett because looking at the video his printed out set-up appeared to be larger-size, and that would put the nails farther apart and it would mean more gap between the nails and the coin as well. That would allow more recovery-time after encountering the metal objects, and put less ferrous nail s under the search coil or in the more intense portion of the EMF.

Kind of funny but I had Garrett's phone number in my phone and my finger was an inch from pressing the 'call' button when I had an incoming phone call. I took it and it just happened to be from Andrew, the fellow who did the two YouTube videos. That was Friday afternoon and we talked for 1 Hr. 29+ Min. about the Nail Board and different makes and models out there, especially the new Garrett Apex, ground mineralization, etc. The instant we hung-up I called Garrett to talk with Steve Moore, but it appeared he was gone for the day. Maybe a Holiday weekend head start to go detecting?

However, I did leave a lengthy message to let him know I saw the video and appreciated him doing the test, but it appeared his printed-out test piece was not to scale. I also mentioned that I am enjoying the Apex as I evaluate it, and have worked it and the 6X11 DD coil on my NBPT with only 'fair' results. I did tell him that this coming Tuesday, tomorrow when the Post Office is open again, I will be mailing Steve / Garrett an 'official' NBPT 'kit' so they will have an actual NB that is made exactly-to-scale. If everyone uses such a test piece, all of the results we see them do can easily be duplicated by anyone using the same test sample and same detector & coil & settings.

I am also sending one to Andrew so he can re-do any of his own test comparisons. This week I'll also get with the sign maker I am using to make sure I check his layout prior to making me another one or two hundred NB's as they have to be exactly to scale. I have been using this test sample for over 26 years now ever since coming upon an 1880's Indian Head 1¢ laying on the ground and surrounded by the 4 Iron Nails of different sizes and orientations around the coin. I have sold a lot of NB kits during this past quarter-century and need to resupply.

Also, the reminder to anyone testing any detector and coils to make a complete left-to-right and right-to-left sweep of the center-axis of the search coil completely across the layout as if searching a site. THEN, if they get a good or questionable 'hit', they can make a slow 'wiggle-sweep' over the coin to isolate it. But to be an effective detector & coil combination for dense iron debris, it should be based on a reasonable and typical search-sweep encounter.

Also, the operator has to understand the detector's controls and proper settings and use.

Manufacturer Problem: For best performance in a dense Iron Nail contaminated site, like I encountered the nails and Indian Head in a ghost town, it is best to use a smaller-size search coil. The 'problem' here is that Garrett hasn't offered consumers and extra coil yet. I would like to see them bring out a smaller-size, round-shaped Concentric coil, or DD if they have to, that is 4½" to 5½" in diameter. Nothing bigger than 6" in diameter. Then we can see improved performance on the NB with the Apex and a proper coil size for tough environments..

"ohio fred": Very interested in the apex .Just wondering about iron next to coins .Thanks.
The only way to really know how the Apex will handle some tough challenges is to get the unit in-hand and do them yourself. The only other way is if everyone doing a product comparison is using the very same test scenario, such as my Nail Board. I have several test sample set-ups I use when I evaluate any detector, and I hunt in a lot of ferrous-challenged sites. I have 10 units in my current Team of Detectors that are all 'general purpose performers. For the toughest Iron Nail places, half of those detectors are easily up to the challenge, and the rest are better suited for my average urban Coin Hunting duty. I've been hunting old abandoned ghost towns since early May of 1969 and through all this time I have been well aware of what it takes to tackle nasty Iron Nail confrontations.

Monte
Monte Thank you very for reply was great

The testing seen on YouTube showed me that the numbers were not to stable jumping around think on a 6 inch burried coin. Are other owners having this problem,I do not want to buy this machine if it has these problems.Im want to know these things before I spend my cash.

The testing seen on YouTube showed me that the numbers were not to stable jumping around think on a 6 inch burried coin. Are other owners having this problem,I do not want to buy this machine if it has these problems.Im want to know these things before I spend my cash also I would like to see the nail board test