Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wrong depth readings

ronnw69

Anyone have trouble with the depth readings on the V3i, I'm getting everything ready to go out detecting and no matter what coil i put on and set the setting to the depth reading is off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Go to expert menu, arrow up to loop selection, left or right arrow to select your coil size. Pull the trigger 2 or 3 times to get into the search mode and you should be good to go.
Good luck
John London

Depending on the dampness of the soil, the reading can be off a couple of inches....the target is usually a little deeper.
Also keep in mind that the depth reading is for coin size objects. So if something is smaller or larger the reading varies accordingly.
Also make sure that the correct coil is selected in the options as stated previously.

Guess i should have said that i changed coil sizes in the menu to what size coil i had on and that i was just air testing coils. Thanks for the replies so far tho guys.

Remember unless you are in pinpoint the on the fly depth reading is just not that accurate.

Depth reading is rarely accurate except on coins, especially larger coins. What Rob told you is also correct except that if in Pinpoint you get a reading of 3" which is my normal coin range. You dig 3" and there is no coin. You then begin thinking a crushed can at 6 to 9 " inches or deeper. Any object that is larger than a Coin especially a large deep Washer will show a shallow Coin depth. You then use the three frequencies to decide to dig further. A coin on edge will show to be much more deeper than it really is. I am using a SEF 10X12 now and on a dime or penny that is flat it is very accurate. V3i is as good or better than any of the detectors about depth.