Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ws5 battery discharge while shut off?

tometusns

I recently bought a pair of ws5 headphones. A friend told me to be sure and keep an eye on them because his would discharge while they were shut off. Well mine do the same thing. I'll charge them to full charge and a few days later there's only one bar left. What's up with that? Is that normal? Why would a battery discharge when it's off. Not happy with that at all. Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Need to update to 5.21. Had the same problem. it seems with the 5.2 version there was something making it slowly discharge.

Ok, it's been awhile since I posted but here we go. I've got the updated 5.21 ws5 headphones. I will charge them completely and within a week they will be almost completely discharged. That's not normal for batteries to discharge like that. My coil and remote don't discharge at such a fast rate. I talked to xp and they said I could ship them back and pay shipping BOTH ways and they would look at them. Also the batteries only have a two year warranty is what I was told today. These are like three months old and have had this problem since I got them. I don't want to pay to ship them in and maybe get it back and they still do the same thing. They work fine it just seems to me the battery is no good.
It's doing what lithium batteries do when they're on the way out which is they don't hold a charge very long and will discharge quickly even when they're not being used.
I have a friend who just purchased a new set and they're doing the same thing. This isn't and shouldn't be what to expect when you purchase a new set of headphones.

Mine did the same thing brand new detector in feb 2021...
I thought it was my fault I’d turn on my Deus and try it out without the headphones and I think they were linking up without me knowing and I’d turn my detector off and the headphones would be on without my knowledge and I’d go to use them and they’d be dead..

I wish that was the case but I never turned the remote on during the time I was checking the ws5's. Thanks for the reply.

Don't get upset with me but I'm just trying to get the basic facts. Make sure you really do have version 5.21 installed. When you turn on the headphones it will show the version you have installed. There will be one screen that lights up everything then the second screen will say "5" then the third screen should say "21".

Not saying you are guilty of this but you do have to turn the headphones off when you are done. Press both the "-" and "+" buttons at the same time to turn off. They will turn off automatically after about five hours. So I could see a person going out twice and leaving the headphones on, the battery will be just about drained.

Instruction manual says it is easy to change headphone battery, but I don't know if that will fix your problem.

Wow the ws5 headphones, I really do not like charging them. It is real hard to get the charge cable down into the charge plug, I think it is a defective design.

I use them as a back up to the ws-4 headphones that I use all the time.

Don't get upset with me but I'm just trying to get the basic facts. Make sure you really do have version 5.21 installed. When you turn on the headphones it will show the version you have installed. There will be one screen that lights up everything then the second screen will say "5" then the third screen should say "21".

Not saying you are guilty of this but you do have to turn the headphones off when you are done. Press both the "-" and "+" buttons at the same time to turn off. They will turn off automatically after about five hours. So I could see a person going out twice and leaving the headphones on, the battery will be just about drained.

Instruction manual says it is easy to change headphone battery, but I don't know if that will fix your problem.
No worries MikeLab, yep 5.21 and yep I turn them off after each use.
It's disappointing to me to by a brand new set and have battery issues. I have a friend that it's experiencing the same deal. He cautioned me when I first got mine about the battery discharging while they were off.
If the batteries are easy to change out and there is obviously a problem with them I feel like xp should make it right with their customers. My ws5 headphones are the only thing I have a problem with concerning the battery. I've had the ws4's, the ws's with the orx and no problems whatsoever. In fact I've never experienced a problem with the rechargeable batteries in any of my equipment except the battery in the ws5's.

Wow the ws5 headphones, I really do not like charging them. It is real hard to get the charge cable down into the charge plug, I think it is a defective design.

I use them as a back up to the ws-4 headphones that I use all the time.
Yeah I noticed that also it’s a PITA to get the plug in that hole!
Mark

I think it would be worth it to reload the version 5.21 Some other people said the battery gauge quit acting up after that, it wasn't the battery after all.

I think it would be worth it to reload the version 5.21 Some other people said the battery gauge quit acting up after that, it wasn't the battery after all.
I'll try that again and see if it helps. If I remember right when I did that before I had to reload all my saved programs but I'm getting pretty proficient at putting them back in lol..seems it wiped the remote clean before I could update the headphones. If someone knows something I don't please advise. Thanks!

Update: three days after updating again. The battery is still at 3 bars.
Thanks MikeLab for getting me to try the update again as it appears to be working. I've been trying to think of why it didn't work the first time and if I didn't do something right or...who knows. I'm relieved now and feel much better. lol

Update: Thur. down to two bars. Better than it was but nothing like the remote and coils....I guess it is what it is and I recon I'll live with it but still think its not normal for a battery to drain that quick when not in use. In my mind there's a problem...deal breaker hmmm.. maybe not...inconvenient yes, to me anyway.

I don't know how many times you have charged the battery but usually it takes several cycles to reach full capacity.

MikeLab, I'll keep trying and if it gets better I'll for sure share that. I don't want to give a bad review if it's not warrantied. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. Thanks, Tom

I know when I got my Deus it took a while for the batteries to reach full capacity.

LOL yeah it sounds like you work for another metal detector company.

Lol no, MikeLab I'm just a guy. Please don't misunderstand I like my Deus and have fun hunting with it. I own two detectors. I think they are both top of the line machines. The battery issue with the ws5's is all I'm disappointed in. Hopefully it gets better or should I say hopefully it starts acting like the batteries in the remote and coils already do and just like every other rechargable battery I own. You know honestly I've never had a rechargeable battery act this way that was any good. It makes no sense to me at all. What I'm saying is its not normal for a battery to discharge so quickly when not in use. Am I unhappy, obviously yes. Unhappy enough to pay shipping both ways to have them looked at and possibly get a "there's no problem"... no, I'll just make sure I charge them the night before and hope I don't get an invite to a great location and my headphones are dead. I do have a battery pack to charge them with and had to use it the other day. It was a short hunt and my ws5's stayed in the car charging while I hunted. I don't like hunting without headphones. That day has a lot to do with me posting about the problem. Tom

I like that the Orx WS Audio phones turn off automatically when the remote is turned off. My WS4 has to be turned off cause it controls the coil