Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WWII Dog Tag Found on Seymour Johnson AFB, returned

comisoas

Sept of last year I was detecting with my Fisher F-75LTD at a location I had detected many times. This time I slowed down in a somewhat trashy area in some old pecan trees and found a WWII dog tag at about 4 inches. The name was William A Craven, Jr. I did quite a bit of research off and on on the internet. I was able to find the veteran's obit from 2009 and some relatives. Though sad that he had passed away in 09, I attempted to find a relative with no success. I tried several other times over the months with no success. Then the other day I saw a site where the lady will research WWII tags for free for folks at http://ww2tags.org/ . I spoke with Francesca Cumero and by the next day she had found the surviving daughter in AZ. Here at Seymour Johnson AFB, NC is where I found the tag and now it is going home to AZ. She just received the tag last night. Very cool circle completed and a very happy daughter. Just thought I would share this cool story.

Here was my first contact email after she was contacted by Francesca: "Wow, what an amazing story! Bill Craven is my father -- Harding St in Maplewood was his childhood home. He did indeed pass away in 2009. Not sure which sister you found--both lived in CA but both pre-deceased him.

I would love to have the dogtag -- we don't have much from his war years--and to talk to you about how you found it. It's late your time now so I won't call--perhaps you will get some sleep at the fire station. I'll try to call in the next couple of days. "

I spoke with her and got the tag right in the mail. Here is the email I received this morning:
Just received this email from Doris, the daughter of William Craven, Jr, in reference to the dog tag : "We actually got it today. I have the perfect place to display it. My Dad was an engineer who spent his working life at Hughes Aircraft designing missiles. One of his proudest mementos was a fragment of the first Falcon missile, which hit the target on its first firing. He had it mounted with a plaque. I now have that fragment and have leaned the dogtag up against it. I'm attaching a photo.

I looked at Francesca Cumero's ww2tags.org web site and it suggested a way to show thanks for all the people who return dogtags would be to make a contribution to the Wounded Warriors Project. I will do that.

Thanks so much for sending this bit of my Dad's life to us.

Doris"

Great feeling to have helped. Bryan

Thanks for the story Bryan......... a good deed indeed.

William Craven's WWII dog tag finally at home with his daughter in AZ, on display with a missle fragment her father had. She just sent me this picture.

Havent had a story that special yet, but hope some day I can bring joy to someone! Not giving up and exhausting all possibilities are a m/d duty when it comes to things of this nature. I would like to thank you for that! Good job!

Wow! What a cool story! I just found a dog tag a couple of weeks ago. So glad you posted the web site. I sent an email with the info Francesca asks for and a picture. I really hope she can locate the owner or family so I can have a story like this to post.

Hi everyone. Francesca here. Nice to see you, Bryan! I'm really glad you shared the William A. Craven story. It was a pleasure working with you to return the Craven tag. It was also very nice to get updates on how the story ended. I have to thank you, once again, Bryan, for posting the story here, because Bill contacted me and I managed to get Ervin's Johnson's obit from the County Library. I've sent Bill the contact info I was able to locate. I hope he is able to make contact with the family.

In the 6 years I've been doing the dog tag research (200+tags), I've honestly never come across a family like this. Bill has given me permission to share a little of what I found.

First of all, this is a very large family, and 3/4 of the children were males. According to the Census Records I found, there were 9 brothers and at least 3 sisters in the family. What makes this case so unique from my perspective is that Ervin and at least 4 of his brothers served their country during WWII. I'm still researching his other 3 brothers to see if they also served their country in WWII.

Sadly, two of his older brothers lost their lives in '42 and '43.

I have found no further info on Ervin Johnson's unit, and would welcome help with this if anyone has the time and inclination. Ervin was drafted and was most likely in an Ohio National Guard unit. His Tetanus shot was given in 1944, so that will help us narrow down when he went overseas and where he may have been stationed.

I'm currently compiling the rest of my research to pass on to the family, if they do not already know the family history and want to know more. There is much more to research, but in the meantime, here is the info and links to his two brothers who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Leroy E Griffiths (Ervin's half-brother)

Birth: Apr. 20, 1910
Death: Jun. 16, 1944

Pvt 327th Glider Infantry/101st Airborne. Info on the unit from this page: http://www.ww2-airborne.us/units/327/327.html

Normandy - D-Day
In June 1944, the decision to drop both the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions simultaneously into Normandy reduced the number of available aircraft to tow the gliders for a glider assault. The 327th Glider Infantry Regiment was ordered to land across Utah Beach with the 4th Infantry Division on D-Day. Its mission was to move to Carentan to cut off the fleeing Germans. Although causalities were high, the mission was accomplished and the Regiment moved back to England to prepare for its next mission.

His National Archives listing on the www.wwiimemorial.com search site lists him as having DOW (Died of Wounds). Since his death occurred 10 days after D-Day, he may have been wounded in the initial invasion and then later died of his wounds in the hospital.

Melvin Henry Johnson:

Birth: Nov. 4, 1914
Idaho, USA
Death: Aug. 12, 1943

Text on his Find a Grave page:

"Technical Sergeant Melvin Henry Johnson was killed in action on Thursday, August 12th 1943 over Gelsenkirchen, Germany when his aircraft was hit by flak. He was the Flight Engineer/Top Turret Gunner in "Merrie Hell" a B-17F Flying Fortress. T/Sgt Johnson was part of the 547th Bomb Squadron, 384th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force. He was awarded the Air Medal and the Purple Heart. Rest in peace." There is also a picture of him with all the crew members on the memorial page. ( could also use some help researching the 547th Bomb Squadron.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Johnson&GSfn=Melvin&GSmn=H.+&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=15&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=40698361&df=all&

If you would like to make a "virtual visit" to the graves of Ervin's brothers, you can go to their Find a Grave page and learn more about each of them. There is also an option to leave a note and flowers on the memorial page.

In my opinion, Bill uncovered not just a dog tag, but a family war history that is tragic, heroic, and inspirational. Thanks for all the wonderful things that you guys do by returning important items that you find. It's been really inspiring reading all of your stories. Keep up the good work! :detecting::clapping:

Bryan,
Not trying to hijack your thread or story,....
I will be trying to contact family members shortly and I will start a new thread with the Ervin Johnson story.
Thanks for letting us jump on here. Francesca is an awesome help!

Yes, Bryan, sorry for the hijack. I'm new to the forum and forgot to start a new thread about this. Bryan, can you let me know when you start a new one and I'll add to the story on that thread? I just got an email from someone in Australia who found 14 Army tags while metal detecting. That should keep us busy for a while. I'm not sure, but I think he might have heard about Angelo's Angels from this thread, so thanks once again, Bryan, for sharing the Craven story. You have opened up a can of happy worms! I'm asking for a metal detector for Christmas, haha! You guys rock, seriously! :clapping:

Just dropped in as I have not been here in a while. That is great info Francesca! No problem on the "hijacks"....no worries. I am just glad that all has worked out so well and that people are being helped. AND that you are considering a metal detector! That is cool. May God Bless all and bless your endeavors to track down owners of more tags. Wonderful.

"Wow! What a cool story! I just found a dog tag a couple of weeks ago. So glad you posted the web site. I sent an email with the info Francesca asks for and a picture. I really hope she can locate the owner or family so I can have a story like this to post."

Awesome! I hope she is able to help you find the owner. She is fantastic!